OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 09:14:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A "like" button for OC Net?  (Read 747 times) Average Rating: 4
Eugenio
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I love them all

« on: January 13, 2011, 11:33:51 PM »

So for those of us who are Facebook addicts...  Wink

Wouldn't it be cool if OC Net had a "like" button similar to what Facebook has? Operators - any chance we could get this?  Grin
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 11:35:24 PM »

There are the stars that you can use for each thread.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 11:42:59 PM »

At the top-right of each thread, underneath the "Reply - Notify - Mark Unread" etc., is a drop-down menu labeled, "Rate Topic," with a 1-5, and a button saying, "Go!"  This indicates your Star rating for the topic.  It's not exactly like the "Like" function in that it is more nuanced, but it is our version of the concept - do you like the subject or not.  Getting that for individual posts may be complicated, maybe not.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 12:17:47 AM »

Cool!  I never noticed that before!  I just gave this thread 5 stars!  I fell all powerful!

Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 12:18:09 AM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 01:28:34 AM »

I like the idea, but I'm not sure that I'd like going beyond what we already have. I think the star system for threads is good, but I wouldn't want to extend it to individual users (past the "Post of the Month" thing they have, which I also like). I'm part of a forum that has a "reptuation" system, and it's pretty much broken. While people (especially in some parts of the forum) will indeed sometimes give you reps (a positive vote) for making good/insightful posts, and neg you (a negative vote) for making racist/misleading/etc. posts, the overwhelming majority of people there just vote based on 1) popularity (or whether they think there's a good chance that they will get a positive vote back at some point), and 2) posts that you happen to agree with, whether they were particularly good/insightful or not. I have gotten votes there based on such things as fairly dumb jokes I've made, my appearance (as with many people there, I have a horror face shot as my avatar), because of the city I live in, because of my join date (I joined there in the summer of 2002, and am one of the few from those times still around), and so forth. They let you make a comment when adding/subtracting from the reputation, so you usually know why you got a vote. Once I got one positive and one negative vote on the same day, both for my beard Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 01:30:37 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 01:00:34 PM »

So how about, instead of stars or ratings, just a "like button" for particular posts?

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 08:18:46 PM »

So how about, instead of stars or ratings, just a "like button" for particular posts?
It's funny, because I was thinking this the other day.

Especially for when you don't want to comment, you just want to say "Yeah!".

I'm going to need this.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 08:41:28 PM »

Probably could jury rig the thank-o-matic mod to do something similar to that.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: