OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 05:37:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HA HA HA HA HA HA  (Read 4950 times) Average Rating: 0
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« on: April 28, 2004, 12:14:11 AM »

T Cheesy :'( The Fruits of Vatican II, and the post Vat II ecumenist movement:

http://www.spiritualityhealth.com/newsh/items/blank/item_3495.html

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 01:36:43 AM »

Yeah, unfortunately many here are familiar with Robert Lentz and his "work."  If you want to see more, the whole collection can be found here but I wouldn't go there unless seeing images such as Christ depicted as a woman, an Aztec dragon, or an Apache Chief don't particularly bother you.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 02:23:49 AM »

The Fruits of Vatican II, and the post Vat II ecumenist movement

And what spiritually nourishing fruits they are!

:dissappointed:  :cwm8:

'Nuff said!

In Christ,
Aaron

Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 09:44:09 AM »

Maybe it's the spirit of Trent that is responsible for this.

There's a lot at Bridge Building Images which is bad theologically. There also stuff that is bad artistically and some stuff (I would venture to say) that is bad art because it is bad religion. Beyond that there is stuff which simply isn't going to be to traditionalist taste.

But there's also stuff that, taken out of the context of all the badness is good of itself, theologicaly and artistically. And it especially stands out when you step out into the larger RC world and start seeing the junk that's out there. It sad, but by and large what I see that caters specifically to an RC cleintele is routinely executed junk. Maybe most of Lentz does is loopy or heretical, but at least he seems to care.

Laughing at his loopiness may be OK once. But people in this forum, like those in almost every forum on religion, spend too much time on laughing at what is rediculous in what their opposition says and does. Which is better: to be traditionalist and not really care, or to be loopy but caring?
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 10:50:40 AM »

I think you make some good points, Keble.

The Catholics and Protestants seem to be everybody's favorite whipping boys, while other non-EO groups enjoy the kid-gloves treatment.

I am not completely innocent in that regard. I have used this board in the past to abuse the Protestants on many occasions.

Time to stop.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 11:49:12 AM »

Bridge Building Images has been around for sometime, among Orthodox circles I have heard even the most liberal of iconographers call them Burning Bridges. Some of these "icons" almost beg for me to become an iconoclast.

BTW I do not laugh at these images, I pray that the lord forgives these people for they know not what they do.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 11:51:20 AM by arimethea » Logged

Joseph
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2004, 12:21:00 PM »

Maybe it's the spirit of Trent that is responsible for this.

:DNow that is funny!

Having read the Catechism of trent and the declarations of the council of Trent, I am certain nothing could come out of Trent as absurd as the link I posted.

"Spirt of Trent"....hahaha...oh that is funny!

Laughing at his loopiness may be OK once. But people in this forum, like those in almost every forum on religion, spend too much time on laughing at what is rediculous in what their opposition says and does. Which is better: to be traditionalist and not really care, or to be loopy but caring?

I think it is difficult not to laugh at what is absolutely absurd and rediculous in what one's opposition says and does. I mean come on. You can't take too much of it seriously, or you end up all upset over nothing. Sometimes you just need to laugh, instead of getting all upset over something so stupid.

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 12:26:51 PM »

but this is really not funny.  It is very very sad.  How would you feel if someone took the sacred heart or late medeival roman paintings and did something similar?

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2004, 04:09:31 PM »

Having read the Catechism of trent and the declarations of the council of Trent, I am certain nothing could come out of Trent as absurd as the link I posted.

But the "spirit of Trent"-- would that not be found in every pre-1960 parish in the USA? And I have certainly seen plenty of them around here that are every bit the drab listlessness that leads to the desperation of a Robert Lentz. And I've seen enough books of viciously fond humor concerning those Bad Old Days.

In here is the thought that Vat. II represented some sort of discontinuity. I don't think it did-- not in people's thinking. There was always a lot of Catholic wackiness out there, only it expressed itself in different outlets. And there was always a lot of unhappiness.

If there was any discontinuity, it was that the church finally confessed to having the unhappiness. BUT

in most parishes the same thing kept on going, regardless of any other changes. For instance, consider St. Louis Clarksville, about 15 minutes from my house. This started out life as a rural parish, but by the time I was born they were on their second church building and were mostly a suburban parish, serving all the developments and fragments of development about. They had one of the two principal parochial schools in the immediate area (Pallotti in Laurel was the other). At the time, they had a classic Catholic-American  interpretation of a French Gothic church, whcih still stands on the grounds.

But then they built the huge mass factory you see in the photo on their website (it's about four times the size of the old church). It is of course built to the specs of the "spirit of Vat. II", but that's not why the built it. They built it simply for more capacity. The same priests simply had to pack more people in per service in order to deal with the crowds.

The point is that the liturgy was not the point in the old days either. What was the point was simply seeing that everyone got their sacramental obligations over with. For everything else, people were on their own, and thus against Robert Lentz there was Bayside NY.

I think what the Vat. II reformers wanted was something like the 1979's Prayer A, done much like conservative Anglicans do it-- except Catholic. There's a lot of reasons they didn't get this, but a big reason was, ironically, conservatism. People didn't want to change the way they went to mass, and priests didn't want to approach doing it with a different attitude. It was OK for them to change every external detail, but to really take it seriously-- that was too threatening and also too Anglican.

Which is hardly to say that the Anglicans didn't get swept up in the loopiness-- they did, more so in many ways. Being loopy is an Anglican tradition too, after all.

"Spirt of Trent"....hahaha...oh that is funny! I think it is difficult not to laugh at what is absolutely absurd and rediculous in what one's opposition says and does.

But there is a difference between laughing at it when it passes by, and going in search of it in order to ridicule it. Day referred to the RC Church as "the tabloid church"; that is something that hasn't ever changed. Traditional RCs ridiculing modernists of whatever denomination or sect are throwing stones from the greenhouse doorway. This is tantamount to thanking God that you are not like that modernist over there. You are saying that you aren't like them; I'm suggesting that you may be more like them than you think.
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2004, 04:33:36 PM »

For instance, consider St. Louis Clarksville...

I say "Anathema!" to those website developers that think it's cute to play music when you access the site.

"Anathema" I say!  Tongue

« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 04:34:02 PM by Tom+ú » Logged
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2004, 07:31:25 PM »

but this is really not funny.  It is very very sad.  How would you feel if someone took the sacred heart or late medeival roman paintings and did something similar?

Joe Zollars

Joe, if anybody would be the most offended by that site, would be a Catholic! Go back....read who wrote it, and read the litany itself. As I said, you can't let things like this get to you! If you do, your life is going to be a very unhappy one. The world is full of stuff like this, just waiting to piss you off, and thats what Satan wants. You can't get mad over stupid things like this, laugh it off, and if you feel so moved by God, pray for those responsible, but my God lets no be so serious and uptight!

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2004, 07:38:26 PM »

but those images (I dare not call them Icons) are by an Apostate Orthodox, and a distortion of Orthodox practices.

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2004, 07:40:37 PM »

lets no be so serious and uptight!

There is a time for laughter (Such as oc.net summerfest) but this is not one of those times when it is entirely apropriate.  Just like Monastary 'Icons' is not something you laugh at, but rather weep over--weep that so many are decieved into thinking they are perfectly good Icons and adorning their churches with them.

Joe Zollars

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2004, 07:42:58 PM »

I say "Anathema!" to those website developers that think it's cute to play music when you access the site.

"Anathema" I say!  Tongue

Here here Tom, here here!

Actually some of the music can be ok sometimes, but it should be something like what the HCC-AR does with a link saying "click to hear the music."

Otherwise, Anathama Sit!

Joe Zollars

Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2004, 08:11:15 PM »

but those images (I dare not call them Icons) are by an Apostate Orthodox, and a distortion of Orthodox practices.

Joe Zollars

There are what, 4 paintings that an Orthodox Christian might be offended by, yet a whole litany that get any Catholic annoyed, not to mention who wrote the article and her position in the Catholic Church. I agree the paintings, mocking the Icon tradition in Orthodoxy is sad, but what I was refering to as absolutely absurd and funny was the litany itself.

I didn't mean to offend any one by not being offended by the paintings on this website, I just think the litany is so out there that its funny..I mean come one "O Cosmic Christ".........."Through Vincent Van Gogh, artist of light"....thats funny stuff, and its even funnier that people buy into this stuff, yes very sad, but its so out there, that I can't help but laughing at how lame it is, and what a serious departure it is from Catholic teaching and tradition.

I understand everyone not appreciating the Icons or paintings on the website, but I posted this because I thought the Litany was wakco, geezzz, did anybody even read the litany?

I'm sorry but I'll stick to my opinion that if you let little things like this get to you, your life is going to be a miserable one, controlled by the thrusts of hell.

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2004, 08:30:49 PM »

I am sorry Ben, but I must respectfully disagree.  Those Icons, that litany, all they do is make a mockery sainthood, of Icons, and of anythign that is still good in the Roman Church.  It would be one thing if this was just a piece of satire akin to what is on the Onion Dome.  However this is a writing by a prominant roman nun who has written many books on such neo-hindu, neo-daoist subjects.  She has led countless souls astray and that fact alone, not to mention the fact that she herself believes in this stuff, is enough cause to be very sad for such people (however it is also cause to be thankful that we ourselves have nto been decieved by such spiritual rubish).

Joe Zollars

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2004, 08:32:42 PM »

I read the 'litany' and I think it's a rather excruciating bit of writing.  It's so painfully aware of how 'inclusive' it's supposed to be.  Did you notice that the persons mentioned carefully alternate male/female? It seemed more directed at how enlightened the persons saying the words are rather then focusing on God. ymmv.   Liturgical writing has deteriorated.  

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2004, 08:13:46 PM »

Keble<<Which is hardly to say that the Anglicans didn't get swept up in the loopiness-- they did, more so in many ways. Being loopy is an Anglican tradition too, after all.>>

You hit the nail on the head:

http://www.saintgregorys.org/Liturgy/Photos/index.html

Be warned, the above link is very disturbing.

Matt
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 08:14:59 PM by Frobie » Logged
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2004, 08:31:16 PM »

they did, more so in many ways. Being loopy is an Anglican tradition too

Amen to that!

:oIs that a circus or a church service?

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2004, 08:46:32 PM »

Keble<<Which is hardly to say that the Anglicans didn't get swept up in the loopiness-- they did, more so in many ways. Being loopy is an Anglican tradition too, after all.>>

Matt

Certainly not my cup of tea.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
ExOrienteLux
Waning: Spoilers

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2004, 11:14:57 PM »

Matt

I was going to post that link if no one else did.  They're rather beautiful icons, except for the fact that THEY BREAK ALMOST EVERY RULE IN THE BOOK!!!!!!!!

As I told some of my Ortho-friends here at school, I'm wondering when Ss. Michael, George, and Theodore are planning on making a little visit to wipe that 'church' off the face of the earth.  The tongue was only partly in cheek for that comment, by the way.

All that I can do is pray "Lord have mercy upon them, for they know not what they do."

Arise, O God! Judge the earth, for to Thee belong all the nations!
MsGuided
Pharmakolytria
Elder

St. Anastasia

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2004, 11:16:49 PM »

It seemed more directed at how enlightened the persons saying the words are rather then focusing on God. ymmv.   Liturgical writing has deteriorated.  

Ebor

Pardon my popping in for a silly reason, but what does ymmv mean? On first glance I guessed "you make me vomit" but that's because I'm studying the digestive system in one of my classes at the moment. Tongue

Kim, born confused Embarrassed

"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2004, 11:18:23 PM »

Sorry Kim I have no idea

Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2004, 11:25:32 PM »

YMMV = Your milage may vary
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2004, 11:36:53 PM »

Leave it to Goo's man to explian these things. Smiley

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2004, 12:25:24 AM »

I was wondering what that meant but was too prideful to ask.

Re the St. Gregory's link:

I have seen this before it is sheer lunacy.  These people pretend to be Orthodox and Anglican at the same time.  Since when in any Orthodox Church do laypeople, let alone women, stand in the Altar.  And does anyone have any idea what their vestments are supposed to be? perhaps I am just distracted by the colors, but they certainly don't look anything remotely like the Orthodox Vestments I have seen.  You would think that a parish in the Anglican Communion that was so influenced by the Orthodox would be more closely related (at least in terms of theology) to the Anglo-Catholics, but these people obviously prove that assumption wrong.

Joe Zollars
« Last Edit: April 30, 2004, 12:26:23 AM by JoeZollars » Logged

The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2004, 02:33:53 AM »

Interesting place, St Gregory's - I think I am expected to hate it. I don't. Theologically of course they're wrong, but they're bright, creative, artistic... they just need to be 'churched'.

Obviously they already borrow a lot from our 'great tradition'; it's just scrambled the way they do it. I think a lot of their vesture looks Orthodox - they've copied the cylindrical hat, the sticharion and the deacon's stole, for example.

And I think what my friend Keble wrote about Robert Lentz vs. schlock religious art applies to them. It's wrong but it's not junk.

"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

High-church libertarian
Blog
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2004, 08:28:24 AM »

Pardon my popping in for a silly reason, but what does ymmv mean? On first glance I guessed "you make me vomit" but that's because I'm studying the digestive system in one of my classes at the moment. Tongue

Kim, born confused Embarrassed

I'm sorry, Kim.  I just dashed that off.  Yes, it's "Your Milage May Vary".  For more then most sane people *really* want to know about computer jargon there's here:

http://info.astrian.net/jargon/

I'll try to keep the abbreviations down.  (At least I don't write l33t very well at all.  Cheesy )

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2004, 10:08:53 AM »

l33t 1$ @//3$0|/3
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2004, 10:16:56 AM »

Interesting place, St Gregory's - I think I am expected to hate it. I don't. Theologically of course they're wrong, but they're bright, creative, artistic... they just need to be 'churched'.

I am inclined to agree with you Serge. Some of things I have been told about about EOC before they became Orthodox would seem to be very similar to this St. Gregory. Looking at those pics I can see why they do many of the things they do, but I don't get the umbrellas (maybe someone feminized deacon in arabic an then translated it).

Anyone know if any Orthodox Priest or Bishop near this church has tried to talk to them?

Joseph
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2004, 10:40:53 AM »

Ok, first of all, I do admire these people's creativity, desire to do good, yada yada yada.  Most of all, I'm glad they believe in somethin', after all, as the song goes, it's better than nothin'.  
HOWEVER...!!!  Things that stuck out at me and bugged me about the slideshow of services on that website: (if anyone can answer these questions, please do).  
1.  What the heck is a "Sh'ma???
2.  What's with the umbrellas??? (said something about an Indian tradion, Mor, perhaps you can explain???
3.  Gospel is kept in a mini Shinto temple.
4.  the Children bring in the Holy Gifts from the kitchen??? Perhaps they used EasyBake ovens?
5.  The "priest" in the 8am slideshow is barefooted.  
And of course, to me most noticable of all, the tyedyed, tribal, or just bad-bedsheet-or-curtain-patern vestments.  
However, I suppose I could give them an E for effort.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2004, 07:47:28 PM »

Sh'ma = Shema Israel, 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord your God is one.'

I think they got the umbrellas, like some of their standards (pikes, staffs) and elaborate metal crosses, from the Ethiopian Rite.

"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

High-church libertarian
Blog
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2004, 08:58:51 PM »

Indians use umbrellas, too.  They serve a ceremonial purpose, mostly in processions, and always as a mark of honour...I had pictures on another computer, will have to try and find them online sometime.

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2004, 10:05:10 PM »

It's sunny in Ethiopia and Kerala. Smiley
« Last Edit: April 30, 2004, 10:05:48 PM by anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2004, 10:48:17 PM »

Umbrellas are also used in the Roman Catholic Church when the priest is processing with the Blessed Sacrament. I am thinking of Holy Thursday when the priest removes the Blessed Sacrament from the tabernacale at the Altar and places it in the Altar of repose, usually in a side chapel. This is how it was done in all Roman Catholic Churches before the litrugical refroms of the 60's and 70's. It is still done in this way in taditional parishes, but I can't remember if this is still done in Novus Ordo churches.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2004, 10:52:24 PM by Ben » Logged

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2004, 11:42:51 PM »

The only time I've seen anything like this in RC churches was in basilicas, which are given the privilege of using the ombrellino.

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2004, 11:54:51 PM »

Well my parish does this every Holy Thursday, as do almost all traditional parishes. As I said, this may have been trashed by the post Vat-II reforms, but this is how it was done, and is done in certain parishes.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2004, 11:55:56 PM by Ben » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: