OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 07:24:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodoxy and Abortion  (Read 54065 times) Average Rating: 1
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #855 on: August 21, 2011, 08:23:14 PM »

care to give their account of Italy? Spain? France?
Here is an account by others of
Abortion rate per 1000 people:
Russia     19.3
Bulgaria 13.0
France 2.7
Italy 2.3
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_abo_percap-health-abortions-per-capita

It doesn't look to me like Roman Catholicism is in such bad shape after all. Take a look at the difference in abortion rates for Eastern Orthodox versus Roman Catholic countries.

Abortion Statistics for Italy

For the year 2008:

Live births.... 576,659

Abortions......121,406

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/policy/abortion/ab-italy.html

Let's compare that with  Russia:
Live births....1,713,947
Abortions....1,385,600

or Romania:
Live births....221,020
abortions....163,459
How do these statistics show that Roman Catholicism is in bad shape? Actually, they show the reverse, that even today, after Vatican II,  the Roman Catholic Church  is a stronger moral force against abortion than is the Eastern Orthodox Church.
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #856 on: August 21, 2011, 08:23:22 PM »

What does dueling abortion stats really prove, guys? It's not either church's fault if her people don't listen to her.

So what if there are more Anabaptists per capita who obey their church on abortion. Whoopdee do. There's a lot of Buddhist pacifists too.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #857 on: August 21, 2011, 08:26:54 PM »

What does dueling abortion stats really prove, guys? It's not either church's fault if her people don't listen to her.

True. I don't know how much clearer the RCC could be about their opposition to abortion.  A lot of people in Europe don't go to church anymore. So they're not even hearing the opinion of their church.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #858 on: August 21, 2011, 08:29:56 PM »

So what if there are more Anabaptists per capita who obey their church on abortion. Whoopdee do. There's a lot of Buddhist pacifists too.
Abortion is murder is it not? Suppose the moral teachings of Church A are far more effective at preventing it than Church B. Now assuming you agree with that, what would you say when people from Church B continually present arguments saying that Church A is in terrible shape?
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #859 on: August 21, 2011, 08:32:18 PM »

care to give their account of Italy? Spain? France?
Here is an account by others of
Abortion rate per 1000 people:
Russia     19.3
Bulgaria 13.0
France 2.7
Italy 2.3
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_abo_percap-health-abortions-per-capita

It doesn't look to me like Roman Catholicism is in such bad shape after all. Take a look at the difference in abortion rates for Eastern Orthodox versus Roman Catholic countries.

Abortion Statistics for Italy

For the year 2008:

Live births.... 576,659

Abortions......121,406

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/policy/abortion/ab-italy.html

Let's compare that with  Russia:
Live births....1,713,947
Abortions....1,385,600

or Romania:
Live births....221,020
abortions....163,459
How do these statistics show that Roman Catholicism is in bad shape? Actually, they show the reverse, that even today, after Vatican II,  the Roman Catholic Church  is a stronger moral force against abortion than is the Eastern Orthodox Church.
according to Orthodox criteria you can make that argument. According to the Vatican's criteria, you can't: the studies all show the disparity of abortion in France, Italy and Spain (countries which didn't have godless governments running and ruining them for decades, btw) are attributable to contraceptive use and availability, something the Vatican puts on a par with abortion.

Again, I don't get a clear picture where the morning after pill, something available in the West, but I'm not so sure in the East, which is classified as a "contraceptive," where it fits in.

Myself, I rather shudder with shame with what is going on in Romania, Serbia and worse yet Greece (which never had a communist government).  Lord have mercy!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #860 on: August 21, 2011, 08:35:13 PM »

Abortion is murder is it not? Suppose the moral teachings of Church A are far more effective at preventing it than Church B. Now assuming you agree with that, what would you say when people from Church B continually present arguments saying that Church A is in terrible shape?
That Church B should not apply its moral teachings, but apply Church A to get a clearer picture by Church A's own judgement, when abortion is prevented by methods that the moral teachings of Church A condemn as equal to abortion.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags: abortion 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: