OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 11:21:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do Oriental Orthodox believe in mortal & original sin?  (Read 5689 times) Average Rating: 0
Kaste
Site Supporter

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: member of the Invisible Church

« on: January 12, 2011, 11:44:49 AM »

Greetings all,

Would anyone happen to know of a document that lays out whether or not the Oriental Orthodox divide sins into those that cut one off from the grace of God (serious/mortal) and pardonable sins (venial)? 

Also does the Oriental Orthodox Church teaching of original sin more closely align with the Roman Catholic Church or Eastern Orthodox Church? 

Thank you-
K
Elijah
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Tewahedo

God is love; be faithful un to death.

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 02:37:37 PM »

Mortal sin/original sin? What is 'mortal sin'? I know about the original sin; it is a sin committed by Adam and Eve. What are the teachings of Catholic or Eastern  churches regarding Original sin? 

Holy Mary, You are the ladder of life. St. Yared
My sons/daughters, come and I will teach you the fear of God. Christ is light.
He watches everything high; He is the king  even over those in the water. Eyob 41:25
Kaste
Site Supporter

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: member of the Invisible Church

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 03:14:39 PM »

Catholics teach mortal sin is serious sin that cuts one off from God's grace, and if left unrepented lands one in hell for all eternity.

Catholics used to teach that original sin is the sin carried on from Adam that every baby is born with that causes it to go to hell unless it is baptized. 

Do Oriental Orthodox share this?

K
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 03:26:41 PM »

Catholics teach mortal sin is serious sin that cuts one off from God's grace, and if left unrepented lands one in hell for all eternity.

Catholics used to teach that original sin is the sin carried on from Adam that every baby is born with that causes it to go to hell unless it is baptized. 

K

Both of these doctrines came about later in the history of the Western church, and have no part in Byzantine Orthodoxy. Since the schism with the Oriental Orthodox occurred even before that point, I imagine that they will share, at least to a large degree, the perspective of the Eastern Orthodox Church. However, I leave the definitive answer to an actual Oriental Orthodox Christian. Grin

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 03:40:03 PM »

I am a Syriac Orthodox from Malankara (India);

As far as I know the teaching of the Church is that we are not guilty of the sins of Adam but still we suffer the consequence of his sin, which is a corruption of the image of God in which we were originally created.  I dont know if that is what the RC or EO teaches.

Regarding, mortal sin; I am guessing you are referring to what is unforgivable sin. The only unforgivable sin is to deny the Holy Spirit. In other words, to not to accept the mercy and forgiveness that is freely offered by God. In other words there is no sin that our Lord will not forgive, if we repent and trust in His mercy to forgive. The only thing that He wont forgive is that if we dont trust in His mercy and dont ask for forgivness; which is to deny the Holy Spirit.  On this also I dont know what the RC or EO teaches.

I have to also say that I am not theologically trained and not qualified to comment on theological positions of the church. I just tried to summarize my recollection of what I have heard in church and church school.

I will wait for more authoritative comments from more learned OO on this forum like Fr. Peter

In Christ,
Mathew G M
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 03:50:20 PM by dhinuus » Logged

NULL
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 03:45:07 PM »

I am Syriac Orthodox;

As far as I know the teaching of the Church is that we are not guilty of the sins of Adam but still we suffer the consequence of his sin, which is a corruption of the image of God in which we were originally created.  I dont know if that is what the RC or EO teaches.

Regarding, mortal sin; I am guessing you are referring to what is unforgivable sin. The only unforgivable sin is to deny the Holy Spirit. In other words, to not to accept the mercy and forgiveness that is freely offered by God. In other words there is no sin that our Lord will not forgive, if we repent and trust in his mercy to forgive. The only thing that he wont forgive is that if we dont trust in his mercy and dont ask for forgivness; which is to deny the Holy Spirit.  On this also I dont know what the RC or EO teaches.

I have to also say that I am not theologically trained and not qualified to comment on theological positions of the church. I just tried to summarize my recollection of what I have heard in church and church school.

I will wait for more authoritative comments from more learned OO on this forum like Fr. Peter

In Christ,
Mathew G M

These are both completely in line with the teaching of the Byzantine Orthodox Church.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Elijah
Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 03:52:47 PM »

K
Are you a catholic?
At any case, you know, when sin is an issue, I believe God is the absolute Judge. Even though we can put ourselves as a judge in our every day experience. It all comes down to God being the true Judge. 

He watches everything high; He is the king  even over those in the water. Eyob 41:25
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

St. Hripsimeh pray for us!

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 09:25:05 PM »

A tangent on the Council of Carthage was moved here:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,32838.0.html

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Elijah
Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 02:18:49 PM »

Salpy, I would like to move the title entitled the "Picture of the day" which is at "non religious" topic part of  "free for all" section to "other topics"? Can you do that for me? Thank you for the link by the way.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 02:19:26 PM by Elijah » Logged

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 04:32:49 PM »

Also does the Oriental Orthodox Church teaching of original sin more closely align with the Roman Catholic Church or Eastern Orthodox Church? 

As far as I know, both Byzantine and Oriental traditions hold to the Eastern Patristic doctrine regarding the matter.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Tags: sin Original Sin 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: