OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 08:39:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coptic iconography - symbolism of colours  (Read 1270 times) Average Rating: 0
Sleepyhead

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« on: January 13, 2011, 04:52:53 PM »

Hello OO posters!

I hope I have posted this in the right section. If not, moderators please move me to the right one.

My question pertains to Coptic iconography: I have noticed that in Coptic icons, both older frescoes (such as the Pantocrator at St. Anthony's Monastery in Egypt) and newer icons of Christ (in the neo-Coptic style) white often seems to be used for His inner robe and red for the outer one, whereas the EO iconographic tradition uses blue and red.

So, my question to you is: what exactly do these colours symbolise and for what reason do the OO's and EO's use different colours for what (please correct me if I am wrong) seems to be the same symbolism (divinity and humanity)?

(Edited for clarity)

I hope I haven't confused you too much. All answers are greatly appreciated. :]

Sleepyhead
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 05:12:22 PM by Sleepyhead » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 05:58:20 PM »

Hello OO posters!

I hope I have posted this in the right section. If not, moderators please move me to the right one.

My question pertains to Coptic iconography: I have noticed that in Coptic icons, both older frescoes (such as the Pantocrator at St. Anthony's Monastery in Egypt) and newer icons of Christ (in the neo-Coptic style) white often seems to be used for His inner robe and red for the outer one, whereas the EO iconographic tradition uses blue and red.

So, my question to you is: what exactly do these colours symbolise and for what reason do the OO's and EO's use different colours for what (please correct me if I am wrong) seems to be the same symbolism (divinity and humanity)?

(Edited for clarity)

I hope I haven't confused you too much. All answers are greatly appreciated. :]

Sleepyhead
Many (most?) icons of Christ post resurrection, He wears the same colors as the Coptic iconography.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Sleepyhead

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 06:01:25 PM »

Thank you! it seems I might just be iconographically confused in general.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 07:45:45 PM »

I'm not 100% sure, but I've been taught that Copts have used the red date of September to symbolize the Coptic New Year, red on the outside for the blood of martyrs and white on the inside for the purity of faith.

So perhaps, red could be a suffering that's coated around purity.  But I'm not entirely too sure.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Sleepyhead

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 07:43:18 AM »

That's interesting. Thank you, minasoliman!  Smiley
Tags: iconography Coptic Orthodox Church icons OO icons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: