OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 03:04:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: prosphora bakers?  (Read 891 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« on: January 11, 2011, 11:29:07 PM »

well, a group of us were trained tonight on how to make the prosphorafor our parish.  the coordinator will give me a month this summer so that I have more time at home to make them. 
BTW, we are a Slavic parish,so our prosphora look like this,and not the huge Byzantine loaves. 

I am excited tostart this ministry (plus, they take better when they're freshley baked!)

do y'all have any tips or tricks of the trade?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 11:31:19 PM by trevor72694 » Logged

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 12:04:17 AM »

I have no tips or tricks of the trade, but the prosphorafor you have pictured looks beautiful. Smiley
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 12:17:27 AM »

Back home the rule was that the woman that baked them was older, unmarried or, more usually, a widow.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 12:21:49 AM »

Back home the rule was that the woman that baked them was older, unmarried or, more usually, a widow.

well, I'm a 16 year old boy  Wink    most of the people who make them are young mothers.  my Popadija thinks I'm "bold" for volunteering!  in the Coptic Church, you  know, men make them Smiley

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 12:26:00 AM »

well, I'm a 16 year old boy  Wink    most of the people who make them are young mothers.  my Popadija thinks I'm "bold" for volunteering!  in the Coptic Church, you  know, men make them Smiley

Another word that'd fit is laudable, IMO. Smiley

Optimist: Throw enough ideas at the wall and one is bound to stick.
Pessimist: Throw enough poo at the wall and the room is bound to stink.
Realist: You don't really need to throw things at walls to solve problems.
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 09:56:34 AM »

In our Church, the priest and I are the only ones that bake them.  As was said above, the one's you have pictured are beautiful.  As to tips, that is hard because different priests like different things.  The priest at a former Church liked having the Lamb dense, so I would use less yeast and allow less time for the bread to rise (large loaves, BTW).  My current priest likes large well risen loaves, so I use a bit more yeast, allow the yeast to become very active before I add it to the flour, and allow the loaves to rise a lot longer before baking.  This gives the texture that he likes.  Flour also makes a big difference.  My current priest specifies the exact flour that I am to use.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 02:10:36 PM »

So can we order prosphora from that woman on eBay, or does she have a privately run site?
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 05:19:58 PM »

Advice?

Use a candy thermometer to make sure you don't kill your yeast. Optimal yeast temp varies by brand. Read the label.

If the yeast doesn't froth up, make a new batch.

King Arthur bread flour is the best, IMO.

Never use any oil--never.

If the bread tastes salty, reduce the amount of salt next time as you are preventing your yeast from rising correctly.

Don't try multitasking with bread. Concentrate on it alone, and pray.

Oh yeah, practice, practice, practice.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 05:24:21 PM by sainthieu » Logged
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 05:59:59 PM »

So can we order prosphora from that woman on eBay, or does she have a privately run site?

Only if she is Romanian.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Tags: prosphora 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: