OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 02:47:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I wear a robe to the Divine Liturgy?  (Read 22887 times) Average Rating: 1
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: January 11, 2011, 11:26:44 PM »

Please don't ask why Wink

Something along the lines of this:

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 11:32:26 PM »

[/img]

Lol, please do, and could you take pictures of the looks on the faces of the parishioners?  Wink Cheesy  Seriously though, I dunno, I can't see anything wrong with it, though you might get some dirty looks. Maybe giving a heads up to the priest and/or deacon first would be good?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 11:32:36 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 11:37:10 PM »

Yes, but the canons stipulate: "If a layman enter a temple of God in a dorky Western monk's robe, let him smack himself repeatedly in the face with a wooden board whilst repeating pie jesu domine, dona eis requiem." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgYEuJ5u1K0&feature=fvst
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 11:37:29 PM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 11:41:18 PM »

Yes, but the canons stipulate: "If a layman enter a temple of God in a dorky Western monk's robe, let him smack himself repeatedly in the face with a wooden board whilst repeating pie jesu domine, dona eis requiem." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgYEuJ5u1K0&feature=fvst

Funny, I don't remember reading that in the canons.  I thought it came later in the Book of Armaments...

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 11:42:35 PM »

LOL!! Will do Asteriktos!

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
quietmorning
QuietMorning
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

May my Dad's Memory be Eternal.

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 11:52:39 PM »

Well, you certainly can't be arrested for indecent exposure. . .

I'll pass you some calamine lotion after you take it off - the burlap will certainly itch!

Seriously, though - my main concern would be whether it would be disruptive for someone else . . .or a stumbling block to them in some way.  It certainly would bend a few necks.  So, looking at your motives - which I have no idea what they are - but it's totally not necessary for me to know - are your motives selfless?  Are they loving?  Are they humble?  Is this necessary?  Are you doing it for the pure sake of Christ?  Are your motives honest? 

Though you might be mistaken for Francis of Assisi and then the Priest will have to get someone to shovel up all the manure from the animals you seem to collect. THAT might not make him very happy. 

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 11:54:15 PM »

Btw, this thread reminded me of this video  Cheesy

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 11:56:47 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
quietmorning
QuietMorning
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

May my Dad's Memory be Eternal.

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 11:57:45 PM »

Btw, this thread reminded me of this video  Cheesy

HAHAHA!!

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 01:19:16 AM »

[b]Obi Wan Kenobi?[/b] Tongue
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 01:52:41 AM »

[b]Obi Wan Kenobi?[/b] Tongue

Or possibly Oobedoob Scoobi-Doobi Benubi...

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 02:01:36 AM »

Seriously, though - my main concern would be whether it would be disruptive for someone else . . .or a stumbling block to them in some way.  It certainly would bend a few necks.  So, looking at your motives - which I have no idea what they are - but it's totally not necessary for me to know - are your motives selfless?  Are they loving?  Are they humble?  Is this necessary?  Are you doing it for the pure sake of Christ?  Are your motives honest? 

Great advice.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 02:03:13 AM »

Forgive me for prying, but, in my 4+ years of attending many different parishes, in many different states/cities, I have never run into a situation where I had to wear such attire. Like I said, forgive me for prying, but what is your reason for wanting/needing to wear such robes to a Divine Liturgy?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 02:08:03 AM »

Forgive me for prying, but, in my 4+ years of attending many different parishes, in many different states/cities, I have never run into a situation where I had to wear such attire. Like I said, forgive me for prying, but what is your reason for wanting/needing to wear such robes to a Divine Liturgy?

Maybe he's going to a Star Wars convention right after liturgy, and if his date--who is an uber-geeky star wars chick--sees him in clothes more typical of Church she'll think he's a spirituality-geek, dump him, and his whole life will be ruined forever and ever.

http://theageofvolcanoes.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/star_wars_babe-thumb.jpg

I know I'd wear a robe to divine liturgy for her if that was necessary.  Tongue

CAUTION: Some may find the above photo of a Carrie Fisher/Princess Leia imitation, which I have masked by turning it into a link, offensive. Viewer discretion is therefore advised.  -PtA
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 11:21:26 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

Ambrose of Milan

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 02:10:13 AM »

It is against the law. "Thou shalt now wear the robe of a Jedi without express approval of the council." 2 Corellians 2:15
Gamliel
Archon

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 02:18:45 AM »

I usually go like this:    It gives our priest an interesting challenge when distributing the Eucharist.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 02:25:17 PM »

IMO it would be OK without the hood on.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 04:42:31 PM »

Here in the States, a similar hooded robe, only in white, would be quite wrong!  Roll Eyes
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 05:02:46 PM »

Are you a Roman Catholic mendicant/friar? If not, then no, you may not wear such a robe!

It is extremely inappropriate to falsely wear the garb of religious office you do not hold, especially in a liturgical context. Stranger still to pretend to hold a heterodox office!

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 05:06:23 PM »

Are you a Roman Catholic mendicant/friar? If not, then no, you may not wear such a robe!

It is extremely inappropriate to falsely wear the garb of religious office you do not hold, especially in a liturgical context. Stranger still to pretend to hold a heterodox office!

Well now, if he cut a hole around the buttocks area, he could say that he held the office of Flatulant.  Then he could wear the robe.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 05:13:56 PM »

This is one of the people I warned you about who would give you dirty looks  Wink
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 05:14:07 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 05:32:24 PM »

This is one of the people I warned you about who would give you dirty looks  Wink

Yet, I do agree with his objection, although I may have phrased it a bit more gently. Seriously, though I think the OP may be driving at a deeper question--how to efface oneself and not stand out. Of course, if he were to use such a robe, he would certainly stand out. If that is indeed his query, my answer would be to cloth himself in the manner of most folks in his parish.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Gamliel
Archon

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 12:48:00 AM »

When I first started attending an Orthodox Church, I asked the priest what the dress code was.  Probably best to ask your priest.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2011, 01:13:05 AM »

If as a layperson you wear a robe like that people will think you're a total weirdo, and rightly so. I'd think you were one too.

Never mind the fact that the priest might actually think you are mocking his robes by wearing this kind of costume. Keep in mind that Orthodoxy is not a neat roleplaying game where you get to "play" at medieval monastic life. It is a living ancient tradition, and most if not all people would see this as disrespecting that fact.

Try to blend in. The whole point of going to church is to pray, not to create a circus where everyone around you is staring at you the whole time.

Do you already wear one of these?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 01:14:53 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2011, 01:14:35 AM »

Maybe he's a Fool for Christ...  Wink

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2011, 01:20:10 AM »

One of my books on a Fool for Christ, "Seraphim's Seraphim", talks about how she would drown cats in her free time. Sometimes people are really just crazy!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2011, 01:33:37 AM »

Maybe he's a Fool for Christ...  Wink

One of my books on a Fool for Christ, "Seraphim's Seraphim", talks about how she would drown cats in her free time. Sometimes people are really just crazy!

Well, I would agree with that. I don't know, I just wouldn't find it offensive if he did it. I'd actually laugh and find it quite funny, and I would be much more likely to strike up a conversation with him afterwards, thinking he must have an interesting sense of humor. I would think that wearing shorts and sandals to Church was worse (but still not really that bad) than wearing a robe... I know I'm a bit strange though  Cool

EDIT--Also, for the record, I generally support the idea of "blending in," and "When in Rome, doing what the Romans do," as far as what dress is appropriate... I just think it'd be an overreaction to get offended...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 01:35:41 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2011, 01:37:49 AM »

What if I wore a robe like this?

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2011, 01:39:03 AM »

Black with purple? Are you mad? Wink

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2011, 01:52:07 AM »

With the smile included? Smile back. If he winks, let him know that I play on a different team than him.

stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2011, 02:29:30 AM »

Study and  become a Orthodox Cantor or join the Church choir, they may put you in a Orthodox Robe ,,this way you'll  fit in... Grin
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 02:42:41 AM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2011, 02:42:55 AM »

Why??

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2011, 03:27:48 AM »

Ok, next sunday, I'm seriously hauling out the snuggie. It's cold in our cathedral!

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2011, 04:08:53 AM »

Kinda like a story I heard once about St. John Maximovitch. His superior once ordered him to wear shoes, since he had a reputation for doing almost everything, including celebrating Liturgy, barefoot. St. John wore his shoes, all right... hanging by their laces around his neck. "You told me to wear shoes. You just didn't tell me where to wear them." laugh
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2011, 09:21:39 AM »

Woah. I'm assuming she did this before she entered monasticism?

Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2011, 11:26:50 AM »

Achronos, I would have no problem with you wearing yours, as long as I can wear mine.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 04:59:08 PM by Fr. George » Logged

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2011, 12:32:59 PM »

I've got!

I was thinking that maybe Achronos was trying to hide an imperfection of some kind - peg leg, etc.

However, I am now thinking that he wishes to attend services incognito.  A chance to go and pray, an not be recognized while doing it. 
For example, if a celebrity or politician wished to go to church, and not necessarily be associated with that church in public.

You know...some politicians wish to remain "neutral", and their religious affiliation may be held against them.

So, in that case...what's a person to do?

Maybe attend services in the middle of the week when fewer people are in attendance?
Maybe just swallow the pill and be proud of your faith, come what may.

I would pick the second.

I am Orthodox, and while it's not the most "popular" thing to be, and sometimes even makes our work/school/social life difficult, I don't care.  It's the most important thing in my life.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2011, 12:38:05 PM »

One thing that cracked me up in The Fellowship of the Ring was when they said the Nazgul were "disguised" as black riders.

Yeah, nice disguise.

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2011, 12:48:40 PM »

One thing that cracked me up in The Fellowship of the Ring was when they said the Nazgul were "disguised" as black riders.

Yeah, nice disguise.

I think we can be  pretty sure they weren't going to church 'incognito'!  Smiley
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2011, 01:02:58 PM »

As long as you pick out a hat to wear with your robe from here: http://www.dieter-philippi.de/en/the-philippi-collection/head-coverings-1

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2011, 01:10:16 PM »

I forgot to add, it is better to wear a cape or robe you have made yourself: http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Things/FCloak/FCloak_pattern.htm

However, I would counsel against bringing cardboard swords or coat-hanger bows to church.  They might be a distraction.  Plus, they will severely impede your dating prospects (provided that you can find a potential mate who likes the idea of a spouse who wears a cowl to church).

I considered making a cloak, but then reconsidered it because I live in a city and drive everywhere I go.  Cloaks and cars do not go well together.

The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2011, 01:25:39 PM »

Obi Wan vs. Darth Vader:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjCyZ2P9bCA

Summary of video added to make post compliant with forum prohibition against naked links. -PtA
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 01:44:45 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2011, 02:53:11 PM »

I didn't think there was any nudity in the new Star Wars.  Thanks for being vigilant.

Of course, while I think all of us found the original Princess Leah quite stunning in the original series, she has changed a bit: http://entertainment.blogs.foxnews.com/2011/01/12/carrie-fisher-signs-on-as-new-face-of-jenny-craig-after-75lb-weight-gain/

Obi Wan vs. Darth Vader:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjCyZ2P9bCA

Summary of video added to make post compliant with forum prohibition against naked links. -PtA

Margaret S.

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2011, 03:22:03 PM »

This is Pelagia and I can't remember if she became an actual nun or not but I do remember being terribly distressed by the story - apparently she once drowned a litter of kittens. Just once as I recall, drowning cats wasn't a hobby, but still I can't say she's on my favourites list.

Regards,
Margaret
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2011, 03:52:16 PM »

Maybe he's a Fool for Christ...  Wink

This is Pelagia and I can't remember if she became an actual nun or not but I do remember being terribly distressed by the story - apparently she once drowned a litter of kittens. Just once as I recall, drowning cats wasn't a hobby, but still I can't say she's on my favourites list.

Regards,
Margaret

Maybe she exorcised a bunch of demons into them.

I like pigs way more than cats. Nobler and taste better.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 03:53:27 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Tags: dress clothing 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: