OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 10:17:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I wear a robe to the Divine Liturgy?  (Read 20105 times) Average Rating: 1
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2011, 04:37:49 PM »

Maybe he's a Fool for Christ...  Wink

One of my books on a Fool for Christ, "Seraphim's Seraphim", talks about how she would drown cats in her free time. Sometimes people are really just crazy!

Ick!  Sad

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2011, 05:04:28 PM »

One thing that cracked me up in The Fellowship of the Ring was when they said the Nazgul were "disguised" as black riders.

Yeah, nice disguise.

That's just a Western Roman Catholic thing! Tongue

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2011, 05:43:28 PM »

Maybe he's a Fool for Christ...  Wink

One of my books on a Fool for Christ, "Seraphim's Seraphim", talks about how she would drown cats in her free time. Sometimes people are really just crazy!

Woah. I'm assuming she did this before she entered monasticism?

This is Pelagia and I can't remember if she became an actual nun or not but I do remember being terribly distressed by the story - apparently she once drowned a litter of kittens. Just once as I recall, drowning cats wasn't a hobby, but still I can't say she's on my favourites list.

Regards,
Margaret
It's common in certain parts of the world. Where I come from is done without a second thought as a form of population control. The same for puppies.
Sergei Esenin, I think, has a beautiful poem called "The Bitch's Song" on the subject.
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2011, 05:57:58 PM »

I didn't think there was any nudity in the new Star Wars.  Thanks for being vigilant.

Of course, while I think all of us found the original Princess Leah quite stunning in the original series, she has changed a bit: http://entertainment.blogs.foxnews.com/2011/01/12/carrie-fisher-signs-on-as-new-face-of-jenny-craig-after-75lb-weight-gain/

Obi Wan vs. Darth Vader:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjCyZ2P9bCA

Summary of video added to make post compliant with forum prohibition against naked links. -PtA

She's not the only one.....sigh.....
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2011, 05:59:11 PM »

One thing that cracked me up in The Fellowship of the Ring was when they said the Nazgul were "disguised" as black riders.

Yeah, nice disguise.

They were going to a call-back audition for the Inquisition scene in Mel Brook's History of the World , part 2 maybe?
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2011, 06:01:28 PM »

Yeah, nice disguise.

They were going to a call-back audition for the Inquisition scene in Mel Brook's History of the World , part 2 maybe?

The inquisition...look out sin!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5McSEU48Y8
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2011, 06:02:31 PM »

^ One of my favorite segments from that film.  Used it once in a History class... (That was really fun.)

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2011, 06:28:53 PM »

I didn't think there was any nudity in the new Star Wars.  Thanks for being vigilant.
Uhh, that's not exactly what I meant by naked links. laugh
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2011, 06:34:12 PM »

If he can wear a robe can i wear this? ...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=509057648709&set=t.147803195  Grin

That is a pic of me for those who are wondering...

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2011, 06:35:50 PM »

I was puzzled by that as well, but I think we know what you mean by that, maybe..... Embarrassed
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2011, 06:50:09 PM »

I didn't think there was any nudity in the new Star Wars.  Thanks for being vigilant.

I was puzzled by that as well, but I think we know what you mean by that, maybe..... Embarrassed
In accordance with the rules of this forum, one must always include with a link a brief introduction to the contents of the other end of the link. One is not permitted to just post a link with no explanation of what someone else will see if they click it. I have dubbed these unaccompanied links "naked links".
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 06:50:45 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2011, 07:16:21 PM »

I didn't think there was any nudity in the new Star Wars.  Thanks for being vigilant.

In accordance with the rules of this forum, one must always include with a link a brief introduction to the contents of the other end of the link. One is not permitted to just post a link with no explanation of what someone else will see if they click it. I have dubbed these unaccompanied links "naked links".

Thank you, that makes sense.
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2011, 08:26:48 PM »

I am relieved.  Thank you for the clarification.

Recently, someone sent me a 'naked link,' only it really did live up to both your terminology and what it also sounds like.  Be cautious.

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Pray for me, Sts. Mina & Kyrillos VI for my exams

« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2011, 08:52:37 PM »

How about the Jalabiya robe?

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2011, 10:25:07 PM »

Haha I like that quite a bit mina!

Well the reason for wearing a robe allows me to be more attentive to the Divine Liturgy; I feel that I would be more immersed in it rather than just wearing civilian clothes. The strange thing is that it probably won't look so humble to those who are wearing different attire. It's just more of keeping to myself, being in prayer during the Liturgy, but as someone mentioned before it may cause a distraction for someone else.

Hilarious responses in this thread though. Grin

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2011, 10:34:11 PM »

What about Ethiopian Orthodox, Indian Orthodox, Middle Eastern Orthodox that wear their ethnic Cloths and attend a Eastern Orthodox Church in the U. S..People get use to Different Cultures even in churches, like on the street ,so eventually they pay it no mind....Life goes on.... Grin

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2011, 01:28:17 AM »

Well the reason for wearing a robe allows me to be more attentive to the Divine Liturgy; I feel that I would be more immersed in it rather than just wearing civilian clothes. The strange thing is that it probably won't look so humble to those who are wearing different attire. It's just more of keeping to myself, being in prayer during the Liturgy, but as someone mentioned before it may cause a distraction for someone else.
That doesn't make sense to me. Why join a community only to stand off by yourself?
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2011, 01:30:59 AM »

That doesn't make sense to me. Why join a community only to stand off by yourself?

He was just talking about during the Liturgy. My experience has been that social interaction during Liturgy is much less than after. Is there something wrong with this?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2011, 01:33:53 AM »

He was just talking about during the Liturgy.
Yes, I am aware that that's what he was talking about, so that's what I'm talking about.

My experience has been that social interaction during Liturgy is much less than after. Is there something wrong with this?
So (continuing from my thought above) social interaction is NOT what I had in mind. The Divine Liturgy is first the prayer of the community.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 01:35:24 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2011, 01:40:36 AM »

As long as there isn't any Church Teaching or canon forbidding such a thing, then by all means go ahead. I have no patience with the "you might be a distraction" argument. I wonder where these voices of concern are when it comes to women coming to Church in mini skirts and tight-fitting clothes. And we're concerned about whether or not to wear a robe to Church? The fact that this is even a legitimate question is indicative of how far we've strayed as an Orthodox Christian community.

Selam

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2011, 01:45:47 AM »

As long as there isn't any Church Teaching or canon forbidding such a thing, then by all means go ahead. I have no patience with the "you might be a distraction" argument. I wonder where these voices of concern are when it comes to women coming to Church in mini skirts and tight-fitting clothes. And we're concerned about whether or not to wear a robe to Church? The fact that this is even a legitimate question is indicative of how far we've strayed as an Orthodox Christian community.

Selam
But this isn't about sex, Gebre.
Gamliel
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2011, 01:51:55 AM »

You probably don't want to wear this: 
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2011, 01:54:25 AM »

Selam
But this isn't about sex, Gebre.

I say everyone should be FORCED to wear robes- men and wome alike! That will stop sin and lust and all other evils. Listen to me! Wink

Selam

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2011, 02:08:11 AM »

He was just talking about during the Liturgy.
Yes, I am aware that that's what he was talking about, so that's what I'm talking about.

My experience has been that social interaction during Liturgy is much less than after. Is there something wrong with this?
So (continuing from my thought above) social interaction is NOT what I had in mind. The Divine Liturgy is first the prayer of the community.

I can see how this might inhibit social interaction, but how would it cut him off from the community in the sense you are thinking of?

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2011, 02:09:41 AM »

You probably don't want to wear this:
No, only a bishop is permitted to wear that. But then you'd have to make this the music of the entrance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bzWSJG93P8

ps. I'm having great difficulty getting that image to load in all three of my favorite browsers, so if anyone else is having this problem, I think it's because the server where the image is located has forbidden us to see it. At least that's the message I got when I tried to turn the image into a hyperlink and click the link. About the only thing I can do successfully is paste the link into my browser's address line, which is possible if you quote the post with the image and extract the link from the quote.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 02:23:07 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Ionnis
OC.net guru

« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2011, 02:15:28 AM »

A serious question: are you being serious?  Would you seriously where a robe like the one you posted to church?  My response is contingent upon your answer. Smiley

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2011, 02:19:43 AM »

I was initially hoping that this thread was a joke, but I'm surprised that it has taken this turn.  It seems painfully obvious that wearing a massive, strange robe, as a relatively new Catechumen nonetheless, could be tremendously distracting and detrimental to the service.  That doesn't mean that other forms of inappropriate clothing are appropriate.  To think that we can and should just wear whatever we feel like (to Divine Liturgy), regardless of the consequences, seems naive and forgive me, a bit self-centered.

Either way, this is clearly something that Achronos should take up with his priest, not an internet forum. Perhaps if you are distracted, try to arrange a better place to stand.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 02:22:44 AM by Cognomen » Logged

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2011, 02:34:05 AM »

It seems very silly that a sincere Christian who is desiring to dress modestly and in a manner that he believes will help him be more spiritually focused is causing such controversy. Are we not all called to the monastic life in a sense? Perhaps this individual is trying to dress in a manner that will help him lead a spiritual life. I cannot see how any serious minded Christian would be offended by someone wearing a simple robe to Divine Liturgy.

Selam

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2011, 02:39:48 AM »

It seems very silly that a sincere Christian who is desiring to dress modestly and in a manner that he believes will help him be more spiritually focused is causing such controversy. Are we not all called to the monastic life in a sense? Perhaps this individual is trying to dress in a manner that will help him lead a spiritual life. I cannot see how any serious minded Christian would be offended by someone wearing a simple robe to Divine Liturgy.

I don't have a problem with modesty, I have a problem with pretentious posturing and fantasy role-playing. One can quite easily dress modestly without putting on an outfit that one has no legitimate historical connection with.

You probably dress like the Ethiopian men when you attend liturgy, and in that case it's fine and makes sense because you are fitting in and keeping the right custom. If it was customary for everyone to wear these robes, then I'd tell him to go ahead. But as it stands, everybody is going to think this guy is a total nut job.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2011, 02:40:51 AM »

what I would Like to see all Orthodox revert  back to wearing there ethnic costumes to Church ,and the english converts to Holy Orthodox can don there pilgrim costumes.......... Grin

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Pray for me, Sts. Mina & Kyrillos VI for my exams

« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2011, 02:44:15 AM »

I really do like the idea that the Ethiopian Church is quite uniform in the liturgy with all the white robes worn.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2011, 02:44:34 AM »

But as it stands, everybody is going to think this guy is a total nut job.

If true, that should help him cultivate quite a lot of humility.

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2011, 02:47:19 AM »

...or spiritual delusion.
The latter is more likely I think.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Ionnis
OC.net guru

« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2011, 02:54:12 AM »

No kidding.  I find the whole thing very distressing. It all reminds me of a poor girl in the catechumenate at a Greek parish that I frequented from time to time when the weather prevented me from going to my parish. She would wear a full blown Spanish mantilla to church and of course, sit in the very front row.  She felt like God was teaching her how to be humble and submissive.  It was painful to watch.  So painful in fact that I couldn't bring myself to attend the parish any longer.

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2011, 02:58:04 AM »

Your Not really serious About this Post are you.........come on you must be joking..... Grin

No kidding.  I find the whole thing very distressing. It all reminds me of a poor girl in the catechumenate at a Greek parish that I frequented from time to time when the weather prevented me from going to my parish. She would wear a full blown Spanish mantilla to church and of course, sit in the very front row.  She felt like God was teaching her how to be humble and submissive.  It was painful to watch.  So painful in fact that I couldn't bring myself to attend the parish any longer.

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2011, 03:03:01 AM »

Desiring to dress modestly?  That is not what modesty is in this context.  It seems that he either wants to draw attention to himself, which he certainly would, or that he hasn't considered that this may cause a distraction.
From my limited understanding of Orthodoxy, doing whatever makes you feel more "spiritually focused," without guidance or consideration of consequences isn't really the prescribed path for those of us inquiring/new to the church.  

Again, don't you think that his parish priest would be the best person to ultimately decide this, not us?

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2011, 03:10:17 AM »

It seems very silly that a sincere Christian who is desiring to dress modestly and in a manner that he believes will help him be more spiritually focused is causing such controversy.
Echoing what Alveus Lacuna has said, wearing a robe is not at all modest if it draws such attention to yourself because you're the only one wearing one. Unlike what you might think in your often dogmatic frame of mind, there's no one absolute dress code that defines modesty. Modesty is an attitude of the heart, not merely an outward appearance. It is by definition a desire to NOT stand out, to NOT call undue attention to oneself, to NOT cry out "LOOK AT ME! I'M WEARING A ROBE! EVERYONE MARVEL AT MY HUMILITY!"

If everyone wore a robe to church, then maybe it would be modest to wear a robe, since not wearing one would draw undue attention to oneself. However, in all the churches I've attended, only the clergy wear robes. To wear a robe when you're not a member of the clergy only makes you look like clergy, which most see as quite pretentious, the exact opposite of modesty.

Are we not all called to the monastic life in a sense? Perhaps this individual is trying to dress in a manner that will help him lead a spiritual life.
Then let him dress like that at home where he won't stand out from the rest of the community.

I cannot see how any serious minded Christian would be offended by someone wearing a simple robe to Divine Liturgy.
I can. Maybe you just need to get off your high horse and stop being so rigidly dogmatic. There are valid ways to live a serious Christian life that you haven't considered.
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2011, 03:17:52 AM »

Hmm... (they need to make a questioning emoticon, but with a smile instead of a frown)

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2011, 03:52:32 AM »

I have a slight problem with this, couldn't your actions be seen as prideful? If what she does and what she wears brings her in a closer relationship with God, who are you to judge that? The Greek parish I attended before there was a woman who would basically be in a white robe, head coverings, the whole thing. Did it cause attention? I have no doubt, but why would anyone have a problem with the way she presented herself in the Liturgy? Are you going to Liturgy to criticize someone's attire or there to worship and pray?

All my question was that could you wear a robe to the Divine Liturgy, and it was interesting to see the respones. My picture was just an example. What's more prideful the guy who dresses up in the latest Gucci suit or the man who wears but a simple robe or at the very least a one piece suit? Where he doesn't care how eloquent he dresses but comes as he is and judged by his heart alone?

So you are going to take a glance at a man in a robe and call him pretentious, self-centered, boastful, prideful etc without even conversing with that person to see what is actually in their heart? Does the mouth not speak what is in the heart?

What is more humble to wear, the homeless man on the street who has holes in his jeans, ripped up shirt standing next to a man with a 2000 dollar suit? Or should that man "dress up" to fit in with the rest of the congregation? I tell you I would appreciate a man and respect him if he said wearing a robe allows him to be more in tuned spiritually with God, how can I say otherwise? Now of course dressing up like Spiderman to DL is very disrespectful but a mere robe?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Margaret S.

« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2011, 05:26:30 AM »

You mean with a peineta (the decorative comb)? I'm trying to work out what you mean by "full blown". I used to wear a mantilla all the time to church because it was what was worn in my previous tradition and it never occurred to me for a second that it could or would distract anyone. I stopped when I set fire to one and my hair during Pascha and realised for the first time (I'm not very bright) that there are an awful lot more candles in an Orthodox Church than an Anglo-Catholic one but I do admit the smell of burning hair was very, very distracting  Cheesy

Regards,
Margaret
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2011, 05:30:11 AM »

I have a slight problem with this, couldn't your actions be seen as prideful? If what she does and what she wears brings her in a closer relationship with God, who are you to judge that? The Greek parish I attended before there was a woman who would basically be in a white robe, head coverings, the whole thing. Did it cause attention? I have no doubt, but why would anyone have a problem with the way she presented herself in the Liturgy? Are you going to Liturgy to criticize someone's attire or there to worship and pray?
The same could be asked of you. Are you going to the Liturgy to draw undue attention to yourself, or are you there to worship and pray, and--I might add--as part of the community and not as a mere individual?
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: <Insert your favourite patriotic attribute here> Orthodox

« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2011, 05:44:32 AM »

Well the reason for wearing a robe allows me to be more attentive to the Divine Liturgy;

Doesn't wearing something more formal do the same? That works for me. Also, that wouldn't probably arouse any attention and divine liturgy is a feast after all.

Althought I must admit that wearing a robe is a fascinating idea...

Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2011, 05:50:10 AM »

The same could be asked of you. Are you going to the Liturgy to draw undue attention to yourself, or are you there to worship and pray, and--I might add--as part of the community and not as a mere individual?

Part of the community and to worship and pray. So indiviualism is not wanted eh? Is there something wrong with being content to myself during the Divine Liturgy?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Ambrose of Milan

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2011, 06:34:03 AM »

Part of the community and to worship and pray. So indiviualism is not wanted eh?

Stop the rhyming now, I mean it.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2011, 08:53:06 AM »

So indiviualism is not wanted eh? Is there something wrong with being content to myself during the Divine Liturgy?
One of the most difficult things a Christian is asked to do by Christ is to "deny himself". What this entails is best understood if we think about what it means to "deny" someone else. In His greatest hour of need, when He was all alone facing ruthless and unjust treatment and needed a friend, Christ was "denied" three times by St. Peter. That is, he behaved as though he never knew Christ Who had been his friend for three years. Rather than treat others this way, Christ says that we must deny ourselves.  In this sense then, no, there is no room for "individualism" for those who want to follow Christ. "If anyone wants to follow Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross every day and follow Me."  And the Cross looks like the letter "I" crossed out.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Tags: dress clothing 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: