OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 04:29:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I wear a robe to the Divine Liturgy?  (Read 25320 times) Average Rating: 1
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #225 on: May 01, 2011, 05:46:50 PM »

I admit, I really struggle with the argument that we should dress in a way that doesn't stand out. I LIKE the 50s style skirts and I actually love Islamic clothing. I don't want to wear it to be a show-off, but apparently no matter how modest it is, I can't. Sigh. I was born in the wrong time, wrong place.

There's nothing wrong with dressing modestly as a woman. It was the whole idea of wearing a Western monastic style robe to an everyday Orthodox parish that was seen as absurd and bizarre. Most of the woman at my parish dress modestly with long skirts, long sleeves and headcoverings. The men generally show modestly by wearing long sleeves and not wearing hats.
I understand what you are saying, but I think that heavily veiling and wearing the big poofy skirts would look "costumey." I think it would attract undue attention, unfortunately.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #226 on: May 01, 2011, 05:58:43 PM »

I admit, I really struggle with the argument that we should dress in a way that doesn't stand out. I LIKE the 50s style skirts and I actually love Islamic clothing. I don't want to wear it to be a show-off, but apparently no matter how modest it is, I can't. Sigh. I was born in the wrong time, wrong place.

There's nothing wrong with dressing modestly as a woman. It was the whole idea of wearing a Western monastic style robe to an everyday Orthodox parish that was seen as absurd and bizarre. Most of the woman at my parish dress modestly with long skirts, long sleeves and headcoverings. The men generally show modestly by wearing long sleeves and not wearing hats.
I understand what you are saying, but I think that heavily veiling and wearing the big poofy skirts would look "costumey." I think it would attract undue attention, unfortunately.
I met a good friend at a monastery.  she didn't dress at all "costumey".  she just wore a blouse with long sleves, a long skirt, and a head covering. it doesn't have to be fancy  Smiley

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #227 on: May 01, 2011, 06:03:39 PM »

edit-eh... I tried to post an image but it won't show, so nevermind...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 06:04:03 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #228 on: May 11, 2011, 01:50:31 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Interestingly, a brother-friend of my in the Rastafari tradition, a convert named Ermias, has been attending Liturgy at my local Ethiopian parish.  He attends wearing his ceremonial robe and tourban of the Rastafari Bobo Shanti tradition.  In the Bobo Shanti/Bobo Congress/Bobo Dread tradition, all men are both Kings and Priests.  Several other Bobo brothers and sisters have attended our services in the past, also wearing their robes. As such, they must wear the traditional robe and also crown their head with a tourban like the Patriarchs.  Brother Ermias attends Divine Liturgy in full robe and tourban with sash and prayer shawl, standing in prayer as he does at Rastafari services.  So it seems this is quite a more relevant question than I first suspected Smiley

Stay Blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #229 on: May 11, 2011, 02:59:31 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Interestingly, a brother-friend of my in the Rastafari tradition, a convert named Ermias, has been attending Liturgy at my local Ethiopian parish.  He attends wearing his ceremonial robe and tourban of the Rastafari Bobo Shanti tradition.  In the Bobo Shanti/Bobo Congress/Bobo Dread tradition, all men are both Kings and Priests.  Several other Bobo brothers and sisters have attended our services in the past, also wearing their robes. As such, they must wear the traditional robe and also crown their head with a tourban like the Patriarchs.  Brother Ermias attends Divine Liturgy in full robe and tourban with sash and prayer shawl, standing in prayer as he does at Rastafari services.  So it seems this is quite a more relevant question than I first suspected Smiley

Stay Blessed,
habte selassie

Now I know why they have to use names like Rastafari Bobo Shanti and the like.  That clothing rises to a level of cool that exceeds the English language’s ability to adequately describe it.  If only we could dress like that in my Church!

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #230 on: May 11, 2011, 03:16:10 PM »

^ A heck of a lot more colorful than your usual Greek or Ukrainian costume! lol Wink Wink Wink
Hermogenes
Elder

« Reply #231 on: May 18, 2011, 02:38:27 PM »

Ehhh, why wear something drab and brown when you could go all flashy!

Dressing as Star Wars Emperor Palpatine's Royal Guard would turn more heads at church.

Did I take a bad detour and suddenly arrive in San Francisco at Halloween?

Seriously, the question of WHY a person would think it's OK to wear a fake Franciscan robe to Divine Liturgy makes me wonder if this isn't either a massive leg-pull, or a person who badly needs to sit down with his priest.
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #232 on: May 18, 2011, 03:31:47 PM »

...or a person who badly needs to sit down with his priest.
Probably. No, definately.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #233 on: May 18, 2011, 03:57:17 PM »

Ehhh, why wear something drab and brown when you could go all flashy!

Dressing as Star Wars Emperor Palpatine's Royal Guard would turn more heads at church.

Did I take a bad detour and suddenly arrive in San Francisco at Halloween?

Seriously, the question of WHY a person would think it's OK to wear a fake Franciscan robe to Divine Liturgy makes me wonder if this isn't either a massive leg-pull, or a person who badly needs to sit down with his priest.

About a year ago we were visited by a handsome young man who wore a 1920's style sear-sucker suit and a straw hat. His Dad is a local Protestant Minister who suggest he visit us when the lad asked about Orthodoxy. He said he didn't know what to wear.

We also have a regular visitor who is Ethiopian who wears her traditional white sari which to the uninitiated would look out of place or odd.

Man with a cape? It could happen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDbN9TZqFcg

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #234 on: June 21, 2011, 10:29:31 PM »

I've seen too many who can't afford much in the way of fancy clothes that feel extremely uncomfortable in services where everyone is dressed to the nines.

I really feel like love for the least of these should motivate how we dress. Forgive me if I'm being judgmental.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #235 on: June 22, 2011, 08:52:29 AM »

Yeah, but there's a world of difference between someone who hasn't much choice in what he wears to church, and someone who wants to wear something out of misguided piety, at worst, ostentatious humility, and look outlandish in the process.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #236 on: June 22, 2011, 09:23:34 AM »

I agree, not that I necessarily think Aposphet is doing this.
Monk Cyprian

Hooray! I'm useful!

« Reply #237 on: June 22, 2011, 10:54:36 AM »

If he can wear a robe can i wear this? ...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=509057648709&set=t.147803195  Grin

That is a pic of me for those who are wondering...
Awesome.  If you don't mind me asking, what tartan is that?  Are you on X-marks-the-scot?  Your face looks familiar, that's why I ask.

I used to be in the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada, and we wear the McKenzie tartan which has a Black Watch base, just like the one you're wearing there, but the additional stripes are different, and I just can't place it...

Was it Divine Liturgy in English in XIXth Century Russia?  No, it was not I am the telling you!  Is OUTRAGE!  Now is to be Slavonic music and Byzantine vestment in same church. This is what when KGB run the seminary.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #238 on: June 22, 2011, 10:58:03 AM »

Haha this thread still going?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #239 on: June 22, 2011, 11:13:37 AM »

Sorry, my fault. Some posts just hit a sore spot  Embarrassed
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #240 on: June 25, 2011, 06:54:08 PM »

He asked for our opinion. Are we to deny him that? Would you rather we lied to him by telling him it's all right for him to do what he proposed? Would you rather we be just as dishonest by concealing what we really think about his question?

The thing NOT solicited here is your opinion of those who have offered their opinions as the OP requested. The thing NOT solicited here is your judgment of those who have been honest as though we are persecuting the poor fellow for simply wanting to be more spiritual.

And neither are you to tell him that he should wear a robe to church and not give a damn what anyone else thinks of him.

And why don't you follow your own advice and stop trying to judge the intentions of those who have offered the opinions the OP asked for?

First of all, it is not very easy to tell someone not to judge without doing it some way to tell them that.  Second, I would not expect anyone to swear in this forum, and it was quite surprising when I saw you were a moderator, as they should set an example.

Are you not now judging the intentions and motives of the hearts of those who have opined on this subject, which is exactly the behavior you have condemned in us? Is it somehow commendable when you do it but condemnable when we do? That finger you're pointing at us... do you not see the three pointing back at you?

Again, judging is not always bad, as they can have a point. For example, if someone had a persistent sinful habit, would it not be ok to tell him that he should not do that sin? It would be judging him, but it would be to his benefit. I saw that the person you are talking to told the OP that he should talk to his priest, which I see no problem with, and he also said if there is no problem with tradition or canon he does not see a problem. I don't see a problem either, if there is no problem in the faith. I personally don't see why he cant wear a humble robe, but I would think he should not wear the hood in church, as it is not its purpose. I would think the reason he wants to wear the robes is because that is how they used to do dress, mostly. It is just a tradition, that is all. It would help though if he would tell if that is what exactly he would wear. But I agree in the earlier poster that he should ask his spiritual father. It should end there, I think.

I have a meter that's very sensitive to hypocritical BS and dogmatism

That also I don't expect from a moderator.

My apologies for mentioning these things.

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #241 on: October 18, 2012, 02:07:14 AM »

We need an update from Achronos!
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #242 on: October 18, 2012, 09:59:09 AM »

I think Achronos has matured much this past year....and may have a different view point on the OP.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #243 on: October 18, 2012, 01:17:57 PM »

But doesn't "achronos" mean "timeless"? Roll Eyes

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #244 on: October 18, 2012, 01:23:20 PM »

I think Achronos has matured much this past year....and may have a different view point on the OP.

He even has a normal avatar  Shocked

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #245 on: October 18, 2012, 01:28:58 PM »

I wore my morning robe to Mass this morning. Does that work?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #246 on: October 18, 2012, 01:30:40 PM »

Did you have anything on underneath? Are you taking fashion tips from Akimori?
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #247 on: October 18, 2012, 01:34:48 PM »

I wore my morning robe to Mass this morning.
Achronos, you must stop your dawn liaisons with these severely-overweight girls. You'll injure yourself, plus, fornication is a sin.

Did you have anything on underneath? Are you taking fashion tips from Akimori?

Akimori just wants Senpai to notice him.

Don't we all?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 01:36:31 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #248 on: October 18, 2012, 01:36:43 PM »

Sadly I can't pull it off like akimori can.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #249 on: October 18, 2012, 01:41:40 PM »

Something along the lines of this:

Baptismal robe upgrade:

http://www.museumreplicas.com/g-3-assassins-creed.aspx
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 01:43:15 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #250 on: October 18, 2012, 01:44:21 PM »

Why were you going to "Mass"?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #251 on: October 18, 2012, 01:46:06 PM »

Those western riters are always trying to westernize their western worship ways!
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #252 on: October 18, 2012, 02:00:15 PM »

Those western riters are always trying to westernize their western worship ways!

Dirty Latinizers, corrupting the pure rites of the Western Byzantine Empire!

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #253 on: October 18, 2012, 02:36:10 PM »

Aw that means I can't recreate the scene from the Holy Grail.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #254 on: October 18, 2012, 05:41:58 PM »

Aw that means I can't recreate the scene from the Holy Grail.

As St. Luke said, "They first used holy hand grenades in Antioch."

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #255 on: November 24, 2012, 09:22:27 AM »

I am that much closer to taking my life after being invaded by this:

http://www.betabrand.com/favorites/vagisoft-harka.html

Clicking on the hip name of the material might offend some.

When is it going to end?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #256 on: January 06, 2013, 03:56:17 AM »

I don't even... . .
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #257 on: January 06, 2013, 04:15:26 AM »

Clicking on the hip name of the material might offend some.

That is probably the ugliest piece of clothing I have ever seen.

Andrew Crook
formerly known as AveChriste11
High Elder

« Reply #258 on: January 06, 2013, 04:31:37 AM »

I'm still waiting for someone to say they're going to wear a hair-shirt.. like St. Mary of Egypt, or one of the other saints. 

Honestly, does it even matter what we wear to Divine Liturgy?  What if I wanted to wear every day clothes.. like jeans, tennis shoes, and a T-SHIRT?  The Evangelicals are so fond of saying "Come as you are.." as Protestant churches everywhere are no longer requiring shirt and tie.

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #259 on: January 06, 2013, 04:53:28 AM »

And you are not a member of a Protestant church, so...good point, Andrew. Wink

Certainly I would have trouble with the idea that one must dress in a suit and tie to go to church, but it seems to me to be very sensible to say that as you are going to meet the King of Kings and receive Him, you should dress as respectfully as you can. The church is not just another building, but truly hollowed ground. We should treat it like that, in our dress and in every other way.

OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

« Reply #260 on: January 06, 2013, 05:31:49 PM »

I'd agree with Dzheremi. When I see people dressed more casually than I like, I try to remember that I don't know their circumstances and they might have good reasons, and moreover that it's not my place to judge. I don't always succeed, mind...but I try.

That being said, I certainly think it's appropriate to dress as well as you reasonably can for church.

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #261 on: January 06, 2013, 10:36:35 PM »

I'm still waiting for someone to say they're going to wear a hair-shirt.. like St. Mary of Egypt, or one of the other saints. 

Honestly, does it even matter what we wear to Divine Liturgy?  What if I wanted to wear every day clothes.. like jeans, tennis shoes, and a T-SHIRT?  The Evangelicals are so fond of saying "Come as you are.." as Protestant churches everywhere are no longer requiring shirt and tie.

I wear black jeans and a button down collared shirt. My jeans are for more expensive and in higher quality than my "dress" pants. angel

Punch
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #262 on: January 07, 2013, 01:49:30 AM »

If we are going to show due respect to God, would we not dress as he created us?  But seriously, I think the whole shirt and tie thing is stupid.  What are you trying to prove?  Why would one wear a tie?  Is it some phallus symbol that needs to be hung around the neck much like the gourd over the penis of some Southern Pacific tribes?  Or, like I told some managers once, does it serve the same purpose as a tampon string; something to help pull your head out of your lower posterior when it gets stuck up there?  I think that probably one of the greatest advances of modern man is making the decision to stop wearing that stupid cord around the neck when it serves absolutely no purpose.  As to religious clothing, it would be nice if it was the common fashion to wear an alb or other robe to Church.  It would certainly be less distracting if everyone was dressed the same humble way.  But that ain't gunna happen anytime soon . . .

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

« Reply #263 on: January 07, 2013, 03:45:05 AM »

I don't wear a tie very often, but...lol wut? o.O

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #264 on: January 07, 2013, 12:47:36 PM »

Amen Punch.

The noose tightly wrapped around your neck is a reminder that you can be hanged for making the wrong business decision.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #265 on: January 08, 2013, 03:35:04 AM »

So I've been on hiatus for a while...how is this thread still active?   Cheesy

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #266 on: January 08, 2013, 03:51:11 AM »

I guess talking about wearing robes to liturgy never goes out of style!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #267 on: January 08, 2013, 04:47:16 AM »

I like ties.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #268 on: January 08, 2013, 01:10:57 PM »

I like that this thread stays alive.

It is a testimony about the places someone's "journey" can take them.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 01:11:16 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #269 on: January 08, 2013, 01:17:00 PM »

I like ties.

I concur.
Tags: dress clothing 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: