Author Topic: Saint Gregory of Nyssa  (Read 737 times)

Offline Seekingtrue

• Excuse me which level of hell is this?
Saint Gregory of Nyssa
« on: February 21, 2016, 10:54:07 AM »
Hello everybody,could you please help me understand Saint Gregory of Nyssa he mentions 'process of becoming ever closer to God does not cease at physical death but continues forever'

Offline OrthoDisco

• Faith: Orthodox
Re: Saint Gregory of Nyssa
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 06:30:19 PM »
You mean because God is infinite?  And therefore we will never reach the depth of wisdom or truth about God, but will always be striving to grow closer to Him. We will never be absorbed by God or become one in His essence and energies. Only the Holy Spirit and Jesus and the Father are one in the same essence. We are only partakers in this, not absorbed into it, and as such can always be striving. I hope others speak to this too. But thats my very basic understanding.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 06:40:03 PM by OrthoDisco »
Sent by my cat ^ⱷᴥⱷ^∫

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 11:15:53 PM »
Hello everybody,could you please help me understand Saint Gregory of Nyssa he mentions 'process of becoming ever closer to God does not cease at physical death but continues forever'

Which part confuses you?  Let's use the Socratic method:

What does it mean to draw closer to God?  What is the process by which this occurs?  How long does this process take?  Does this process begin before physical death or after?  Is there an end to this process?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 11:17:12 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 01:53:29 AM »
I recall a school class wherein the prof proved an electron approached the speed of light and never got there, just closer and closer and.......
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline Seekingtrue

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 02:31:16 AM »

What does it mean to draw closer to God?  What is the process by which this occurs?  How long does this process take?  Does this process begin before physical death or after?  Is there an end to this process?
yes questions brings more questions like what keeps us from becoming closer to God?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 02:32:34 AM by Seekingtrue »

Offline Seekingtrue

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 02:44:26 AM »
I recall a school class wherein the prof proved an electron approached the speed of light and never got there, just closer and closer and.......
:o watch out the dots not closer and closer and.......but closer and closer and.. Or closer and closer and.

Offline Seekingtrue

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 03:52:46 AM »
:o watch out the dots not 'closer and closer and.......but closer and closer and.. Or closer and closer and.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 01:43:44 PM »

yes questions brings more questions like what keeps us from becoming closer to God?

Answer my first question.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 02:01:20 PM »

Answer my first question.

Your first question is not possible as we have only words. What does being in love mean? How does one draw closer to another within love? The question actually makes little sense.
What is the process by what occurs? Being or falling in love? If you've never have or had love, how would you know?
Epistemological questions based on experiential phenomena are not quantifiable.
Oh, wait, your first question is "what part confuses you"?
Never mind.

Offline Seekingtrue

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 02:47:48 PM »

Answer my first question                                                                                                                ok your first question'what does it mean to draw closer to God?For me it means to have a personal relationship with God
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 02:55:59 PM by Seekingtrue »

Offline Gamliel

• Protokentarchos
  • "Truth is born as lightning strikes -- Archilochos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 03:00:21 PM »
I believe he was referring to God.  The Church teaches that even in heaven with our eyes open, we will always be learning about God.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 03:02:52 PM »
Seekingtrue,

Sorry I meant which part confuses you.  But I appreciate you answered one of the questions.  Relationship, and I think that's very important.

Now, who initiates the relationship?  Can man, with his own finite power, initiate the relationship to the infinite God?

Offline Seekingtrue

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 03:28:10 PM »
Seekingtrue,

Sorry I meant which part confuses you.  But I appreciate you answered one of the questions.  Relationship, and I think that's very important.

Now, who initiates the relationship?  Can man, with his own finite power, initiate the relationship to the infinite God?
Who initiates the relationship?from my personal experience God initiates the relationship but there s also free will so man has to work for this relationship.It takes 2 to tango

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 04:09:35 PM »
Seekingtrue,

Who initiates the relationship?from my personal experience God initiates the relationship but there s also free will so man has to work for this relationship.It takes 2 to tango

"The Dance of Love"
(old guy, old lyrics)

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 05:33:23 PM »
Seekingtrue,

Great! God initiates, and you freely move towards that relationship.  Now since God is infinite and eternal, is there an end to the relationship?  Can you reach a point where you say you have gotten to God's level in knowing Him?

Offline Seekingtrue

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2016, 06:24:58 PM »
Seekingtrue,

Great! God initiates, and you freely move towards that relationship.  Now since God is infinite and eternal, is there an end to the relationship?  Can you reach a point where you say you have gotten to God's level in knowing Him?
I agree so far.Now in this life the obstacle in our relationship with God is sin.What confuses me is that after death sin is not there so the relationship doesn't improve or change?

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2016, 06:35:30 PM »
Seekingtrue,

I agree so far.Now in this life the obstacle in our relationship with God is sin.What confuses me is that after death sin is not there so the relationship doesn't improve or change?

Ah, okay, now you answered my first question. ;)

Think of an analogy.  When a husband and wife get married, does one think the relationship is based on the obstacle of "pre-marital" restrictions?  No! after marriage, they continue to learn so much about each other and grow forever together in new dimensions and ways.

God who is eternal and infinite is also one who, in having a relationship with, we grow eternally and infinitely towards, learning infinitely more about Him in news ways and dimensions. 

Sin was never a primary reason to have a relationship with God.  That's like saying I married because I lack good house keeping skills that she has.  That's the wrong way to have a relationship. If you reduce relationship to sin and death, then this becomes abusive. God destroys death and sin to prove for you His love for you, but sin and death were never part of His plan for you.  If Adam had never sinned or died, does that mean there's no point in the relationship with God?

Offline Seekingtrue

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2016, 06:47:54 PM »
Seekingtrue,

Ah, okay, now you answered my first question. ;)

Think of an analogy.  When a husband and wife get married, does one think the relationship is based on the obstacle of "pre-marital" restrictions?  No! after marriage, they continue to learn so much about each other and grow forever together in new dimensions and ways.

God who is eternal and infinite is also one who, in having a relationship with, we grow eternally and infinitely towards, learning infinitely more about Him in news ways and dimensions. 

Sin was never a primary reason to have a relationship with God.  That's like saying I married because I lack good house keeping skills that she has.  That's the wrong way to have a relationship. If you reduce relationship to sin and death, then this becomes abusive. God destroys death and sin to prove for you His love for you, but sin and death were never part of His plan for you.  If Adam had never sinned or died, does that mean there's no point in the relationship with God?
Hebrews 10:22

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2016, 11:03:20 PM »
Hebrews 10:19-20