OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 05:00:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liturgy Obligation?  (Read 2661 times) Average Rating: 0
dcointin

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: January 11, 2011, 04:44:38 PM »

My girlfriend is Catholic and we attend services with each other on alternating Sundays.  I recently read that as a Catholic she has an obligation to attend a Catholic mass each Sunday or Saturday night.  My question is: do we have a similar obligation?  Am I doing something improper by attending with her on those weeks instead of an Orthodox liturgy?  Thanks!
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 06:15:42 PM »

The only obligation of which I'm aware is the OCA's rule that those who don't receive Communion on three consecutive Sundays without good reason must go to Confession before receiving from the Chalice again. However, I'm speaking only for my experience, which is limited.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 06:17:09 PM »

I was told that you can't miss 3 Sunday Liturgies in a row without a good reason.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 06:26:52 PM »

Well, are you going to her church to pray with them?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 07:06:57 PM »

I believe it is a mortal sin to miss catholic liturgy without a good reason (which must be confessed), no?
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 07:12:59 PM »

Yes, you cannot miss 3 w/o good reason, but her Church counts attending an Orthodox Church as acceptable under her obligation.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 07:13:31 PM »

The 3 week rule is not that of the OCA, but of the Holy Canons.  

But no one should misunderstand this.  The canons assume that the faithful are attending Church at least on the Lord's Day and communing, as we see that even a demoniac is to attend on Sundays.  However, they state that one has excommunicated himself or herself (i.e. needing reconciliation through confession) if one misses 3 weeks in a row without just cause (extreme distance, illness, childbirth, etc.).  

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 07:14:02 PM »

Yes, you cannot miss 3 w/o good reason, but her Church counts attending an Orthodox Church as acceptable under her obligation.

Does weekly vespers count (or does it have to be a Divine Liturgy where holy communion is served)?
Father H
Archon

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 07:15:03 PM »

True.  The RCC does count attending an Orthodox Liturgy as the fulfilling of the "Sunday obligation" for RC's.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 07:16:01 PM »

But no one should misunderstand this.  The canons assume that the faithful are attending Church at least on the Lord's Day and communing, as we see that even a demoniac is to attend on Sundays.  However, they state that one has excommunicated himself or herself (i.e. needing reconciliation through confession) if one misses 3 weeks in a row without just cause (extreme distance, illness, childbirth, etc.).  

I know people who attend Sunday liturgy every week but only commune several times a year. Does this mean that they must confess every 3 weeks in order not to excommunicate themselves?
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 07:17:12 PM »

Even if she can never take Communion?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 07:29:11 PM »

My girlfriend is Catholic and we attend services with each other on alternating Sundays.  I recently read that as a Catholic she has an obligation to attend a Catholic mass each Sunday or Saturday night.  My question is: do we have a similar obligation?  Am I doing something improper by attending with her on those weeks instead of an Orthodox liturgy?  Thanks!

Just a suggestion, perhaps on the off weeks (the weeks where you attend catholic liturgy), if you care to, you could attend a daily orthros/vespers or even a weekday divine liturgy (assuming your church has these offerings and your schedule permits). Also, I think it might be courteous, especially if this is going to be a long term arrangement, to notify your priest of the situation and why you are attending every other week.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 07:31:35 PM »

I know people who attend Sunday liturgy every week but only commune several times a year. Does this mean that they must confess every 3 weeks in order not to excommunicate themselves?

Confession is a rather pointless exercise if you are not changing your behaviour.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 07:35:35 PM »

It seems from what I've read that frequent communion is only the custom in some places, and that infrequent communion the norm in others.

Optimist: Throw enough ideas at the wall and one is bound to stick.
Pessimist: Throw enough poo at the wall and the room is bound to stink.
Realist: You don't really need to throw things at walls to solve problems.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 07:38:41 PM »

Confession is a rather pointless exercise if you are not changing your behaviour.

Your comment is only significant if the canon is addressing particularly the taking of Communion, rather than simply attendance at Liturgy, the latter being my impression of it.

Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 07:42:53 PM »

Yes, under  the canons of the RCC they are obligated to attend Mass every Sunday and major feast, but only required to commune once a year during the Easter season. the RCC considers the EO's Divine Lirurgy as a valid celebration of the Eucharist so it considers this having fuffilled the obligation to hear Mass.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 07:45:13 PM by Tallitot » Logged

Proverbs 22:7
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 07:51:12 PM »

Your comment is only significant if the canon is addressing particularly the taking of Communion, rather than simply attendance at Liturgy, the latter being my impression of it.

I wasn't addressing the canon. I was addressing the question regarding confession every three weeks based on not presenting oneself before the chalice on a regular basis. In which case, if a person is not regularly communing, for whatever reason, it makes no sense to go to confession to "lift" the excommunication, especially if the person has no intention of rectifying the behaviour which has excommunicated them in the first place.

Of course, regardless of local custom regarding the frequency of presenting oneself before the chalice, failure to do so regularly must logically lead to excommunication. How can a person who doesn't commune be "in communion?"

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 07:54:53 PM »

Yes, under  the canons of the RCC they are obligated to attend Mass every Sunday and major feast, but only required to commune once a year during the Easter season. the RCC considers the EO's Divine Lirurgy as a valid celebration of the Eucharist so it considers this having fuffilled the obligation to hear Mass.

So then it sounds like they couldn't always go to an EO church if they were not allowed to ever take Communion there.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 07:57:44 PM »

I wasn't addressing the canon. I was addressing the question regarding confession every three weeks based on not presenting oneself before the chalice on a regular basis. In which case, if a person is not regularly communing, for whatever reason, it makes no sense to go to confession to "lift" the excommunication, especially if the person has no intention of rectifying the behaviour which has excommunicated them in the first place.

Of course, regardless of local custom regarding the frequency of presenting oneself before the chalice, failure to do so regularly must logically lead to excommunication. How can a person who doesn't commune be "in communion?"

I must admit, I don't understand what you're saying here. Who (in authority, anyway) says you must either confess or commune every three weeks? So far as I know, the issue is one of attendance at liturgy, not involvement with the sacraments.  Huh

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 08:02:46 PM »

Where I grew up nobody heard of these rules, nobody communed more than a couple of times a year, but I would say that  those were the women, because the men, in majority, didn't even do that, yet everybody got a proper,  church burial .
So, that says they were considered Orthodox enough as they were.
I remember our neighbour, a friend of grandpa, kind of bragging: "I only went to church when they baptized me, for the wedding and the church will come to me when I die." He was a good man.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 08:05:53 PM by augustin717 » Logged
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 08:17:12 PM »

I must admit, I don't understand what you're saying here. Who (in authority, anyway) says you must either confess or commune every three weeks? So far as I know, the issue is one of attendance at liturgy, not involvement with the sacraments.  Huh

I guess I wanted to highlight the fact that the whole point of the Divine Liturgy is to commune. Ancient practice removed all catechumens and everyone who stayed was to commune. That was the point of being at Divine Liturgy. This whole "not communing regularly" is relatively recent, despite its good intentions.

Of course, as I mentioned in my previous post, any Orthodox Christian in otherwise good standing with the Church who does not commune regularly has excommunicated themselves, and this regardless of any local practice.

Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 08:19:52 PM »

While the Catholic Church teaches the Orthodox Church's Liturgy is valid and grace filled a Catholic cannot fulfill their obligation by attending a non-Catholic Liturgy.  If a Catholic cannot attend a Catholic Liturgy their obligation is dispensed.  

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 08:35:22 PM »

While the Catholic Church teaches the Orthodox Church's Liturgy is valid and grace filled a Catholic cannot fulfill their obligation by attending a non-Catholic Liturgy.  If a Catholic cannot attend a Catholic Liturgy their obligation is dispensed.  

That's the policy even in the Eastern Catholic churches?
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 08:44:12 PM »

Of course, as I mentioned in my previous post, any Orthodox Christian in otherwise good standing with the Church who does not commune regularly has excommunicated themselves, and this regardless of any local practice.
Does once a year count as "regularly" to you?
Because to some, it does.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2011, 09:16:25 PM »

That is not to say it is not praiseworthy to attend Orthodox Liturgies, simply that the obligation is to attend a Catholic Liturgy, if one cannot attend a Catholic Liturgy there is no obligation.

From the CCEO:

Canon 881

1. The Christian faithful are bound by the obligation to participate on Sundays and feast days in the Divine Liturgy, or according to the prescriptions or legitimate customs of their own Church sui iuris, in the celebration of the divine praises.

2.  In order for the Christian faithful to fulfill this obligation more easily, the available time runs from the evening of the vigil until the end of the Sunday or feast day.

3. The Christian faithful are strongly recommended to receive the Divine Eucharist on these days and indeed more frequently, even daily.

4. The Christian faithful should abstain from those labors or business matters which impede the worship to be rendered to God, the joy which is proper to the Lord's day, or to the proper relaxation of mind and body.

From the CIC:

Can.  1247 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are obliged to participate in the Mass.  Moreover, they are to abstain from those works and affairs which hinder the worship to be rendered to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s day, or the suitable relaxation of mind and body.

Can.  1248 §1. A person who assists at a Mass celebrated anywhere in a Catholic rite either on the feast day itself or in the evening of the preceding day satisfies the obligation of participating in the Mass.

§2. If participation in the eucharistic celebration becomes impossible because of the absence of a sacred minister or for another grave cause, it is strongly recommended that the faithful take part in a liturgy of the word if such a liturgy is celebrated in a parish church or other sacred place according to the prescripts of the diocesan bishop or that they devote themselves to prayer for a suitable time alone, as a family, or, as the occasion permits, in groups of families.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2011, 09:24:25 PM »

I guess I wanted to highlight the fact that the whole point of the Divine Liturgy is to commune. Ancient practice removed all catechumens and everyone who stayed was to commune. That was the point of being at Divine Liturgy. This whole "not communing regularly" is relatively recent, despite its good intentions.

This makes sense when the main prayers in the second half of the liturgy don't make sense unless cpmmunion is intended.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2011, 10:02:55 PM »

This makes sense when the main prayers in the second half of the liturgy don't make sense unless cpmmunion is intended.

Yet one can pray for the good Communion of the community while not necessarily having one's self in that intention.

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2011, 10:09:52 PM »

Where I grew up nobody heard of these rules, nobody communed more than a couple of times a year, but I would say that  those were the women, because the men, in majority, didn't even do that, yet everybody got a proper,  church burial .
So, that says they were considered Orthodox enough as they were.
I remember our neighbour, a friend of grandpa, kind of bragging: "I only went to church when they baptized me, for the wedding and the church will come to me when I die." He was a good man.

While I appreciate that you often give us a better picture of Orthodox "on the ground" in the Old World versus some kind of intellectualized American middle-class Orthodoxy, I don't understand why you are acting as if this is a good thing. He might have been a nice enough guy, but shouldn't we want to go to church and to take His Body and Blood? It just seems like you're acting like this is preferable to frequent attendance, so I'm confused.
Father H
Archon

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2011, 10:26:14 PM »

The "misses" in the last sentence is referring to Liturgy.   Sorry for the ambiguity 
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2011, 10:36:00 PM »

Yet one can pray for the good Communion of the community while not necessarily having one's self in that intention.

Then you're excluding yourself, time and again, from the community.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2011, 10:38:50 PM »

Indeed. However, the person I was responding to made it sound like that saying the prayers in the Anaphora are simply for the purpose of ourselves receiving Communion and thus there is no point in participating if we are not going to partake.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2011, 10:39:58 PM »

^ Right.  Indeed, the prayers are for everyone in the congregation, not merely personal.  The only personal prayers of the Liturgy are for the celebrant.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 10:40:15 PM by Fr. George » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2011, 10:52:53 PM »

Indeed. However, the person I was responding to made it sound like that saying the prayers in the Anaphora are simply for the purpose of ourselves receiving Communion and thus there is no point in participating if we are not going to partake.

There are still prayers like the "I believe O Lord and confess.." before communion which is personal and the other prayers still use inclusive language like "we", "us", "our", etc implying that the one praying is part of the community.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2011, 11:08:40 PM »

There are still prayers like the "I believe O Lord and confess.." before communion which is personal and the other prayers still use inclusive language like "we", "us", "our", etc implying that the one praying is part of the community.

Well, I would admit that the Pre-Communion Prayers may be mostly pointless if one is not partaking.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2011, 11:49:23 PM »

I wonder if prayers don't have some worth, even if they are not directly about us. For example, in daily prayers you will sometimes see prayers that give a long list of sins that you are praying/asking forgiveness for. Even if only 28 out of 30 of those sins apply to you, does that mean that you cut out the rest of the sins? I expect that no one cuts them out, but then does that mean that repeating them amounts to "vain repetitions"? I suspect not, but rather would say that they possibly have worth even if they are not directly applicable on that particular day. Just saying them, or being in the presence of someone else saying them, has some worth. Likewise with baptism, or marriage, or priestly ordination, or other times, are the prayers not meaningful even if we are only involved in less active role, as listeners and pray-ers?

militantsparrow
Laurence
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

militantsparrow
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2011, 12:09:39 AM »

This has always been my understanding as well.

"Yeah, the sparrow hath found an house..." -Psalm 84:3
dcointin

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2011, 04:04:36 PM »

True.  The RCC does count attending an Orthodox Liturgy as the fulfilling of the "Sunday obligation" for RC's.

I asked this question on the Catholic Answers forum, and received the opposite answer from everyone that responded - an Orthodoxy liturgy does *not* fulfill her mass obligation.

I have informed my priest of our intention, and he hasn't objected.  We also received the approval of our bishop to be married in a Catholic wedding so long as we also have an Orthodox crowning service.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 04:08:42 PM by dcointin » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2011, 04:13:19 PM »

It does not fulfill but it's not forbidden.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
dcointin

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2011, 04:22:52 PM »

Thank you for the clarifications!  Our intention was to get to know each other's churches better and develop a common spiritual life, but this is going to be more difficult that I originally thought.  She frankly doesn't care about the mass obligation, her exact response was "Pffft" and "then I guess every Catholic in my family must be going to hell as well since they don't attend every week."  I realize the problems with disregarding a church's canons, but at this point I think arguing the point with her would just harden her resolve and make her angry.  My concern is that I don't want to be leading her into what her church considers a mortal sin, though of course attending with me is her decision.  Overall, I think attending services with each other has been a very enriching experience, particularly for me as I've visited a number of Catholic parishes, eastern and Roman, and gotten a feel for it personally rather than just theologically.  Just to be clear we do *not* commune outside of our own churches.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 04:24:15 PM by dcointin » Logged
Father H
Archon

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2011, 04:39:14 PM »

Well, to be fair, the "official" position of the RCC on this is not clear:

Can. 1248 §1. A person who assists at a Mass celebrated anywhere in a Catholic rite either on the feast day itself or in the evening of the preceding day satisfies the obligation of participating in the Mass.

There are currently two interpretations employed by RC bishops:

1.  This refers to only to masses celebrated by those in union with the Vatican
2.  "in a Catholic rite" includes the Liturgies of St. John Chrysostom, St. Basil, etc. and thus "anywhere" allows for it to include all places where there are sacraments that are recognized as valid. 

Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2011, 08:04:02 PM »

Thank you for the clarifications!  Our intention was to get to know each other's churches better and develop a common spiritual life, but this is going to be more difficult that I originally thought.  She frankly doesn't care about the mass obligation, her exact response was "Pffft" and "then I guess every Catholic in my family must be going to hell as well since they don't attend every week."  I realize the problems with disregarding a church's canons, but at this point I think arguing the point with her would just harden her resolve and make her angry.  My concern is that I don't want to be leading her into what her church considers a mortal sin, though of course attending with me is her decision.  Overall, I think attending services with each other has been a very enriching experience, particularly for me as I've visited a number of Catholic parishes, eastern and Roman, and gotten a feel for it personally rather than just theologically.  Just to be clear we do *not* commune outside of our own churches.
If she does not care what her church says or teaches, why even attend that church?

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2011, 08:18:04 PM »

Nope.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Nigula Qian Zishi
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2011, 08:54:17 PM »

Nope.
Well, to be fair, the "official" position of the RCC on this is not clear:

Can. 1248 §1. A person who assists at a Mass celebrated anywhere in a Catholic rite either on the feast day itself or in the evening of the preceding day satisfies the obligation of participating in the Mass.

There are currently two interpretations employed by RC bishops:

1.  This refers to only to masses celebrated by those in union with the Vatican
2.  "in a Catholic rite" includes the Liturgies of St. John Chrysostom, St. Basil, etc. and thus "anywhere" allows for it to include all places where there are sacraments that are recognized as valid.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: