OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 02:27:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Confirmation  (Read 848 times) Average Rating: 0
Aaronridge

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« on: January 11, 2011, 01:09:46 AM »

If a person has been confirmed in the Greek Orthodox Church can they be confirmed in the Catholic church also?  Does the Catholic Church recognize the GO confirmation?

To help you understand what I am asking, here is what happened:

My husband is RC, I was GO.  We were married in the Catholic church.  My GO cousin asked me to be Godmother to her daughter, but the priest said I couldn't because I was married in a RC church.  My husband and I got married (again) in the GO church and we baptized cousin's baby.

Our three children have been baptized in the RC church, and at age 7 received their first communion.  We mostly attend the RC church as a family, but occassionally go to the GO church.  My mother wanted my children to receive communion in the GO church so she arrranged to have the children chrismated. 

Now it is time for my daughter's to be confirmed in the Catholic church (they are 11 & 12 years old).  Can they be confirmed along with their Catholic peers, or have they already been confirmed?  Is their confirmation recognized by the RC church?

I know this may sound confusing.  I am so confused and tired of trying to keep everyone happy I don't know if I've done anything right.  My husband and I would just like to be able to attend the RC church as a family without all this interference from the grandparents but it has been very difficult.  Help.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 01:29:50 AM »

I didn't like my original answer.   Smiley

One cannot be both Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic.  A decision has to be made to either be one or the other regardless of what other family members have to say.  The children may be confused by being exposed to both faiths given that RC is their dominant faith and may ultimately view Orthodoxy as an "ethnic" faith lacking in any substance.

Too many marriages have been ruined by religious strife and in-law interference.  If you don't want to fall victim, confirm your daughters with their peers in the RC Church.

In Christ,
SolEX01
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 01:50:20 AM by SolEX01 » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 03:05:35 AM »

Aaronridge,

Welcome to the forum. Obviously you should take any advice you get from anyone, including from anonymous online folks, with a grain of salt. However, fwiw, here are my thoughts. First, I would agree with SolEX01 in saying that you can't be both Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic at the same time. I wouldn't say that you can't attend both Churches if you like, only that if you are regularly attending and participating (e.g. communing) at a Catholic Church, you probably shouldn't/can't commune at a Greek Orthodox Church, though of course you could still attend if you like.

Regarding what to do, I think it'd be good to listen to the ideas of the people involved, but in the end make sure the decision is your own, and that you do what you think right. It's been my experience (I have two daughters, 4 and 5) that family often mean well, but they can sometimes interfere and cause more trouble than they realise. If anyone crosses a boundary, don't be afraid to tell them that you need them to give you some room/time. I'm less familiar with Catholic practice than Orthodox, but I wouldn't think they'd confirm someone in Catholicism if they were already chrismated in Orthodoxy. Perhaps you could ask the priest about how such situations are handled, though. I'm sorry I can't be of more help...
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 05:09:29 AM »

Don't Give up Holy Orthodoxy for no one, including your Husband,,,,Keep your Children in the Holy Orthodox Church ,,can't serve two masters , the Pope Catholicism and Christ  Holy Orthodoxy.....Holy Orthodoxy is not to be bagained with ,your ancestors lived and died for the Orthodox faith.....Roman Catholic and Holy Orthodoxy have nothing in common ....Roman Catholicisim heritics...The Holy Orthodox Church is the true Ancient Apostolic catholic church.....There's only One Church ,its the Holy Orthodox Catholic Church......There's nothing else after that.....Rome has lost it's way along time ago ......

If a person has been confirmed in the Greek Orthodox Church can they be confirmed in the Catholic church also?  Does the Catholic Church recognize the GO confirmation?

My husband is RC, I was GO.  We were married in the Catholic church.  My GO cousin asked me to be Godmother to her daughter, but the priest said I couldn't because I was married in a RC church.  My husband and I got married (again) in the GO church and we baptized cousin's baby.

Our three children have been baptized in the RC church, and at age 7 received their first communion.  We mostly attend the RC church as a family, but occassionally go to the GO church.  My mother wanted my children to receive communion in the GO church so she arrranged to have the children chrismated.  

Now it is time for my daughter's to be confirmed in the Catholic church (they are 11 & 12 years old).  Can they be confirmed along with their Catholic peers, or have they already been confirmed?  Is their confirmation recognized by the RC church?

I know this may sound confusing.  I am so confused and tired of trying to keep everyone happy I don't know if I've done anything right.  My husband and I would just like to be able to attend the RC church as a family without all this interference from the grandparents but it has been very difficult.  Help.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 05:12:52 AM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 10:25:15 AM »

If a person has been confirmed in the Greek Orthodox Church can they be confirmed in the Catholic church also?  Does the Catholic Church recognize the GO confirmation?

My husband is RC, I was GO.  We were married in the Catholic church.  My GO cousin asked me to be Godmother to her daughter, but the priest said I couldn't because I was married in a RC church.  My husband and I got married (again) in the GO church and we baptized cousin's baby.

Our three children have been baptized in the RC church, and at age 7 received their first communion.  We mostly attend the RC church as a family, but occassionally go to the GO church.  My mother wanted my children to receive communion in the GO church so she arrranged to have the children chrismated. 

Now it is time for my daughter's to be confirmed in the Catholic church (they are 11 & 12 years old).  Can they be confirmed along with their Catholic peers, or have they already been confirmed?  Is their confirmation recognized by the RC church?

I know this may sound confusing.  I am so confused and tired of trying to keep everyone happy I don't know if I've done anything right.  My husband and I would just like to be able to attend the RC church as a family without all this interference from the grandparents but it has been very difficult.  Help.

The RC's recognize our chrismation as valid, so in theory there would be no sense in re-chrismating your daughters. You would really have to ask the RC priest about what is to be done.

That said, I think you should seriously reconsider your decision to abandon the Church of Christ. I pray God will guide you and your family back to Orthodoxy.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
AWR
Greetings from the Southern Jersey Shore.

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Expelled from Paradise

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 10:37:54 AM »

I think that to really make your decision, you should in actuality learn what the Catholic Church’s Confirmation is, and what the Orthodox Church’s Chrismation is.  To both churches I think that they are not just pretty services that are done because others are doing them. I think that part of the meaning is, they show a commitment to the body of Christ, the Church.  They both, I think, are a seal of the Holy Spirit it shows ones commitment to the Church.  

Both the Orthodox Church and the Catholic Church believe that they are the true Church and have there doubts about the other.   They are both full of loving people, including clergy that will help you decide what the correct thing to do is.  Lots of times the advice is more about, and for, your particular situation and differs from what is correct in general, so talk to priests from both Churches.  

Unfortunately, the Orthodox Church and the Catholic Church are no one with each other, so what I think is the best thing to do is decide on the Church you believe is the Church, and follow the practices of that Church.  It is dangerous, and probably not allowed, to mix sacramental activities of the two separate Churches.  I think that it is best for your family to pick one or the other.

(It is dangerously confusing because the  being Baptized Catholic and Chrismated Orthodox seems to be that they converted.)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 10:42:50 AM by AWR » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: