OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 03:40:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icons with Latin vestments  (Read 1717 times) Average Rating: 0
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« on: January 09, 2011, 05:35:30 PM »

I thought that it would be proper to have an icon of my Patron St. Januarius. Since he is a Western saint it would feel natural to have an icon where is not depicted with Byzantine vestments. Does anyone know where I could find an icon where he is depicted with Latin vestments?

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 08:16:00 AM »

Does it count?

http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2009/09/blood-of-st-januarius-wont-be-kissed.html
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 08:56:50 AM »

To me that seems like Eastern. I'm looking something more like these:

http://www.aidanharticons.com/saints/St%20AugustineCanterbury%20f_b.jpg

&

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAOMor60yUwrZR2IEglPkfEZoD7PcM8CYemRIqguhRevwV0-zZ
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 09:02:39 AM by Alpo » Logged

Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 02:03:47 PM »

The icon that Michał posted looks quite western to me. He wears no Byzantine mitre, and seems to be covered by a chasuble instead of a sakkos, and is wearing a pallium that would be historically accurate for his time, as the smaller pallium developed post-schism, and has had many intermediary forms. The below demonstrates the evolution:

The Pope of Rome has revived the use of the earlier pallium. However, it is considered the "Papal pallium" and is only worn by himself. Other bishops who are awarded the pallium receive the small, modern form:

For comparison, here's a picture of the Late Pope John Paul II in the more modern pallium, still worn by "regular" bishops:

EDIT: Of course, I'm sure there are more "western" icons out there that depict more modern distinctives. Whatever your preferences may be.  Grin
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 02:11:48 PM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 02:16:19 PM »

The icon that Michał posted looks quite western to me. He wears no Byzantine mitre, and seems to be covered by a chasuble instead of a sakkos, and is wearing a pallium that would be historically accurate for his time, as the smaller pallium developed post-schism, and has had many intermediary forms. The below demonstrates the evolution:

D'oh! Thank you for pointing that out. I should have thought that it could represent earlier Roman practise since I've seen that kind of palliums before. I actually thought that pallium to be an epitrachil.  Roll Eyes

Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 02:24:24 PM »

Have you seen this website?

They have a small selection of Western icons done in what appears to be a pre-schism western style. Perhaps, you could contact their iconographer and ask if she does commission?

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: