OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 10:59:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: identify this malankara church  (Read 1078 times) Average Rating: 0
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« on: January 09, 2011, 09:20:13 AM »

I've been trying to figure out which group exactly this Malankara church (Link disabled due to report of virus) is in for a few years. Can anyone figure it out? There's so many different groups I don't know what is what. Are they the ones in communion with the Copts and Armenians, the ones who are in communion with no one else, etc.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 10:03:11 PM by Salpy » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 09:27:38 AM »

They appear to be affiliated with this group, which I believe is the one talked about in this wiki article.

kazakage
Nasrani

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 10:54:18 AM »

They appear to be affiliated with this group, which I believe is the one talked about in this wiki article.

Thats correct. Its Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church. Even though it is not under the Syrian Church, its in communion with Armenians, Copts and Ethiopians.
kazakage
Nasrani

Jurisdiction: Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 11:00:43 AM »

I've been trying to figure out which group exactly this Malankara church (Link disabled due to report of virus) is in for a few years. Can anyone figure it out? There's so many different groups I don't know what is what. Are they the ones in communion with the Copts and Armenians, the ones who are in communion with no one else, etc.

Its not so hard Grin
1. Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church : NOT under Syrian Patriarch but it is in communion with the other Oriental Churches.
2. Malankara Jacobite Syrian Church : Under the Patriach. An Autonomous archdiocese within the church.

Both have the same liturgy, same customs, same traditions and in many cases - they share the same churches.

Then there are 3 Catholic churches, Syro Malabar(East Syriac), Syro Malankara(west syriac) Latin Rite, ..and Marthoma( Reformed Orthodox in anglican communion), Church of South India(Anglican), Chaldean Church, Pentecostals etc etc laugh
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 10:03:50 PM by Salpy » Logged
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 04:43:41 PM »

There's so many different groups I don't know what is what.
Indian Christians can be broadly classified into two:
A) Indian Christians under the St. Thomas tradition
B) Indian Christians evangelized in modern times by Western Missionaries

All 'St. Thomas Christians' don’t share the same faith. They fall into five broad categories:

1) Oriental Orthodox Communion:
    a) Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church (autocephalous and under the Catholicate of the East, since 1912)
    b) Malankara Syriac Orthodox Church (also known as the Jacobite Church; autonomous under the Catholicose / Maphrian, but under the spiritual authority of Patriarch of Antioch of the Syriac Orthodox Church)

2) Chaldean Church aka Church of the East (also known as the Nestorian Church)

3) Roman Catholic Communion:
    a) Syro Malabar Church (this is an Eastern rite Catholic church, that officially joined RC in 1599 as per the Synod of Diamper. They continued to be administered by European Catholic Bishops for a long time. This Eastern rite and local hieararchy was only established in 1923. In 1992 this Eastern rite was raised as a Major Archiepiscopal see)
    b) Syro Malankara Church (this is an Eastern rite was established in 1932, when Mar Ivanious a Bishop of the Malanakara Orthodox Church left the church and joined Rome. In 2005 this Eastern rite was raised as a Major Archiepiscopal see. The Major Archbishop of this rite started using the title Catholicose)

Of these two Eastern rites, 3a uses the vestments and traditions of the Chaldean chuch and 3b uses the vestments and traditions of the Malankara Syriac Orthodox church.

4) Anglican Communion:
    a) Marthoma Syrian Church: (under the influence of British missionaries, a Bishop of the Malankara Syriac Orthodox Church started teaching the Protestant reformed theology in the 1860s. This bishop was excommunicated from the Orthodox Church. The Marthoma Syrian Church uses the vestments and 'reformed' liturgy omitting intercessions of saints, prayers for the departed etc of the Orthodox Church.

5) Independent Oriental Orthodox
   a) Malabar Independent Syrian Church of Thozhiyur : (In 1771 a schism occurred between two Bishops of the Malankara Syriac Orthodox Church. This schism led to the creation of this church. However this church remained in communion with the Malankara Orthodox Church till 1870s. During that time this church started more closely aligning with the reformed 'Marthoma Church'. However this church has not yet formally accepted the reformed teachings.

Now the 'Indian Christians evangelized in modern times by Western Missionaries' B. The two most important churches in this category are:

1) Latin Catholics- evangelized by the Portuguese Catholic missionaries.. starting from the 1500s

2) Anglicans - evangelized by the British starting from the 1800s
     a) CSI - Church of South India
     b) CNI - Church of North India
These two churches form the 'Anglican Church of India'.

3) All sort of Pentecostal groups, Jehovah Witness, Mormons etc (American missionaries starting in the 1900s)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 04:48:55 PM by dhinuus » Logged

NULL
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 04:54:33 PM »

I've been trying to figure out which group exactly this Malankara church (Link disabled due to report of virus) is in for a few years.

From the classification I have given in the previous post. This church belongs to 1a.

Mathew G M
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 10:04:35 PM by Salpy » Logged

NULL
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 07:40:07 AM »

I would agree w/ dhinuus except on 1 point - his #2 should be titled Assyrian Church, as 'Chaldean' refers to the Catholic counterpart of the Assyrian Church of the East.

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 08:14:09 AM »

Ok. Thank you everyone that answered.  Smiley
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 09:26:09 AM »

Wow! They're pretty close to where I live.  Smiley

Many years to them.  angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 04:57:38 PM »

Warning...before you click on the link, beware...

I just did and it downloaded a Trojan virus on my pc...which luckily was deleted.  JS/Wonka

Just an FYI.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 11:06:04 PM »

Actually, whether they are part of the Oriental Orthodox Church is very much up for debate. Many see them as being schismatics. It is only the Patriarchal faction who is clearly part of the Church.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 11:06:34 PM by deusveritasest » Logged

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
jmkora

Jurisdiction: Indian Orthodox (Catholicate of the East)

St. Gregorios, Pray for us.

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 11:12:21 PM »

Warning...before you click on the link, beware...

I just did and it downloaded a Trojan virus on my pc...which luckily was deleted.  JS/Wonka

Just an FYI.

Are you running Mcafee? I attend said parish and have admin access to the website. I assure you, we're not uploading trojans  Tongue Your AV software maybe set to block java.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »

Maybe it wasn't your site, but, they came down the instant that webpage opened.

I am running McAfee 4.5.0.1270 and sit behind a corporate firewall.  McAfee caught two instances of the Trojan JS/Wonka and cleaned them.

It might have been a fluke, but, I just didn't want anyone to get infected.  Not everyone runs good antivirus software.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Tags: Indian Orthodox 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: