Article on Turkish and Soviet atrocities

(1/1)

The young fogey:
From Usenet and now linked on my site:

http://www.fr-d-serfes.org/orthodox/memoryof.htm

To which a Greek-American poster added:

My family lived through the events in Asia Minor described in the article, and it was the intervention of American Protestants (particularly the American Near East Relief organization) that helped save them! Unlike the British, French, and Italians, the Americans were entirely a benign influence in Asia Minor.

SamB:
Thanks Serge.

By the way, I suppose the trailers have been rolling for a film, to be shown in select theatres and areas I believe, with the title of "Ararat", that is connected to the issue of the Armenian holocaust.

All I know is that the Armenians promoting it spared not one word to encourage me to watch the film as soon as it came out.

In IC XC
Samer

Aklie Semaet:
Gee--Ottoman Turks, Stalinists, Nazis, Islamic fundamentalists and everyone else. I guess the world does not like us. 50,000,000 dead! Let us light a candle and pray for their souls.

From the article:

"During the 1980's, the Immigration and Naturalization Service gave refugee status to any Soviet citizen who applied on religious grounds - except for members of the Orthodox Church."

I am almost certain that this is due to the influence of Protestant missionary organizations. The same type of policy was employed in the Ethiopian/Eritrean refugee camps in Sudan. People applying for asylum in America were encouraged to change their religion to one of the Protestant denominations in order to get a visa.  

Thanks for the article Serge!

Hypo-Ortho:
Quote from: Aklie Semaet on December 05, 2002, 02:52:43 PM

Gee--Ottoman Turks, Stalinists, Nazis, Islamic fundamentalists and everyone else. I guess the world does not like us. 50,000,000 dead! Let us light a candle and pray for their souls.

From the article:

"During the 1980's, the Immigration and Naturalization Service gave refugee status to any Soviet citizen who applied on religious grounds - except for members of the Orthodox Church."

I am almost certain that this is due to the influence of Protestant missionary organizations. The same type of policy was employed in the Ethiopian/Eritrean refugee camps in Sudan. People applying for asylum in America were encouraged to change their religion to one of the Protestant denominations in order to get a visa.  

Thanks for the article Serge!

Indeed!  The Moscow-born priest of my former parish got out of Russia on an Israeli passport, then made it to the States and St. Vladimir's Seminary!

Hypo-Ortho

Navigation

[0] Message Index