OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 07:30:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In Orthodox Churches, Christmas Means Pierogies  (Read 2340 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: January 03, 2011, 11:50:06 AM »

NPR:

"Many Americans are busy sweeping up tinsel, but Ukrainian, Russian and other Orthodox churches are preparing for Christmas this week. And at the Christmas Eve feast, most of the faithful will eat pierogies. These dumplings are traditionally prepared at home, but recently they've become something of a parish industry."

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 12:26:36 PM »

That's a bit insulting and misleading.

The article is about pierogies/varenyki...and has nothing to do with Christmas, or even Orthodoxy.

The title has nothing to do with the article.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 01:13:56 PM »

What's a pierogy? Huh

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 01:28:21 PM »

It's a potato dumpling.

Varenik in Ukrainian.

Pierogi in Polish.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 01:36:12 PM »

It's a potato dumpling.

Varenik in Ukrainian.

Pierogi in Polish.

Also known as pirohi, pirogy or pirohy in various diaclects and places.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 01:37:01 PM »

What's a pierogy? Huh

Dude, what kind of OCA parish do you attend?  Cheesy

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 01:37:13 PM »

What's a pierogy? Huh
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierogi

Many Polish newsreports about the Orthodoxy are written in a similar way.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
synLeszka
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 01:39:41 PM »

synLeszka
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 01:49:41 PM »

What's a pierogy? Huh
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierogi

Many Polish newsreports about the Orthodoxy are written in a similar way.
Because if they wrote the truth, that in Poland the Orthodox cannot accept the fact that they live in a Polish state, that many of their adherents who are full of ressentiment, dream of irredenta... The truth hurts!
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 01:56:20 PM »

What's a pierogy? Huh

Dudette would appear to be the proper usage and, given that the Dudette is in Dixie, it's probably most correct to frame the question as "Dudette, what kind of OCA parish do y'all attend, M'am?"

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 01:57:43 PM »

Because if they wrote the truth, that in Poland the Orthodox cannot accept the fact that they live in a Polish state, that many of their adherents who are full of ressentiment, dream of irredenta... The truth hurts!

No, it's because they are written be ignorants whose knowledge about all but their own noses is taken from Wikipedia edited by their teen children. I don't want all to be experts in comparative theology but journalists from PAP or KAI can do at least a tiny research before they start to write about the Orthodox Church.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 02:30:12 PM »

What's a pierogy? Huh

A Southern one, yankee boy. We eat fried chicken, ham and barbecue after the Liturgy on Christmas.
And we eat pork, collards and blackeyed peas on New Year's Day, and proud of it.

(P.S. I have heard descriptions of pierogies but nothing would induce me to eat a potato-filled noodle, thank you so much.)

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 02:32:28 PM »

What's a pierogy? Huh

Dudette would appear to be the proper usage and, given that the Dudette is in Dixie, it's probably most correct to frame the question as "Dudette, what kind of OCA parish do y'all attend, M'am?"

And except for the teensy-weensy grammatical point that "y'all" is plural, of course, I'm thrilled to see that there's at least one educated gentleman amongst all y'all here.

St. John Chrysostom
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 03:07:14 PM »

What's a pierogy? Huh

A Southern one, yankee boy. We eat fried chicken, ham and barbecue after the Liturgy on Christmas.
And we eat pork, collards and blackeyed peas on New Year's Day, and proud of it.

(P.S. I have heard descriptions of pierogies but nothing would induce me to eat a potato-filled noodle, thank you so much.)

You forgot "Bless your heart!" Smiley

Btw, pierogies can be fried in butter and garnished with bacon and sour cream, if that changes your mind.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 03:11:32 PM »

What's a pierogy? Huh

Can't be much worse than chitlins.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 03:39:19 PM »

What's a pierogy? Huh

Its the thing in many churches that you learn how to make before you learn about "other forms of stewardship" (rimshot)

Father H
Archon

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 03:43:28 PM »

What's a pierogy? Huh
Can't be much worse than chitlins.
There you go, chitlin stuffed pirohy  Tongue 
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 03:52:55 PM »

What's a pierogy? Huh

Its the thing in many churches that you learn how to make before you learn about "other forms of stewardship" (rimshot)

It keeps us going up here in the rust belt! The community can never get enough of them. We make them at our parish, the Ukrainian Greek Catholics make them and the OCA parish makes them and we still can't produce enough! And...they are not just potato. There are cabbage and/or kapusta(sauerkraut), lekvar (prune), in non-fast times farmer cheese and other great local variants.  However, much as I like them I really don't associate them with Christmas because they are better when slathered with diced onions slow cooked in clarified butter. Fast prepared pirohi are a part of the Holy Supper in our tradition, but hardly the whole thing.
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 04:02:43 PM »

What's a pierogy? Huh

Thank you so much for reminding me - where are my manners? Why y'all will be thinking I'm from Chicago or Buffalo or somewhere like that, perish the thought!

(p.s. a friend of mine insists that you can say anything derogatory or mean about someone, as long as you preface it with "Bless his heart..." as in, "Bless his heart, he can't help that he's a low-rent, shiftless, conniving jerk.")

Btw, pierogies can be fried in butter and garnished with bacon and sour cream, if that changes your mind.
Frying, butter and sour cream will change my mind about just about anything. Except calamari. (I can't get 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea out of my head.)

St. John Chrysostom
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 04:13:20 PM »

What's a pierogy? Huh

Thank you so much for reminding me - where are my manners? Why y'all will be thinking I'm from Chicago or Buffalo or somewhere like that, perish the thought!

(p.s. a friend of mine insists that you can say anything derogatory or mean about someone, as long as you preface it with "Bless his heart..." as in, "Bless his heart, he can't help that he's a low-rent, shiftless, conniving jerk.")

Frying, butter and sour cream will change my mind about just about anything. Except calamari. (I can't get 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea out of my head.)

"Bless his heart" does work a whole lot better than 'I don't mean to offend anyone, but...."  lol
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 04:21:28 PM »

The wonderful thing about the phrase "Bless your/his/her heart" is its possible double meanings. It's also the maddening thing for a frozen Northerner like me. But I know my Alabamian friends love me. They were so thoughtful to ask me to go snipe hunting, but I just couldn't make time.

That said, perhaps the poor journalist had very limited experience of the context of pierogi, maybe just talking to a couple Slavic Orthodox whose village/grandmother only made pierogi at Christmas time. This drastic exception was then touted as the rule. Happens a lot in journalism.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Father H
Archon

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 04:22:30 PM »

What's a pierogy? Huh
It keeps us going up here in the rust belt! The community can never get enough of them. We make them at our parish, the Ukrainian Greek Catholics make them and the OCA parish makes them and we still can't produce enough! And...they are not just potato. There are cabbage and/or kapusta(sauerkraut), lekvar (prune), in non-fast times farmer cheese and other great local variants.  However, much as I like them I really don't associate them with Christmas because they are better when slathered with diced onions slow cooked in clarified butter. Fast prepared pirohi are a part of the Holy Supper in our tradition, but hardly the whole thing.
Yes, our parish has kapusta and lekvar as well.  Not as popular down south as they are up north (are not money-makers except for holidays).  I'm trying to figure out how to make them more popular down here.  Am still not prepared to do chitlin-stuffed or collared-stuffed though.  Perhaps a re-name.  "Yankee-dumplin's" won't work too well (maybe "pre-confederate dumplin" might work).  To suggest doing them other than for holidays, you get the response:  "they're too hard to make, let's just buy Mrs. T's."   Sad

You're making me hungry.   Gotta go check the freezer...
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 03:18:01 AM »

We Melkites don't make pirohi, the saddness of it all  Embarrassed  We do, however, make fataya, which comes close, although the fillings are less diverse. Spinach fataya are quite popular and I rather suspect that collard greens could be substituted as easily as not for the spinach.

Not sure just where in Dear Old Dixie our sister Katherine is, but I'd be almighty pleased to point her cotton-pickin' heart toward the nearest Melkite, Antiochian, or Maronite temple where she might savor the opportunity of spinach fataya at a food fair and contemplate its culinary adaptability to good ole, homestyle, Southern cookin', just like Granny used to make in the back cookhouse.

Many years,

Neil
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 03:18:51 AM by Irish Melkite » Logged

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 03:38:04 AM »

Yet you'll probably eat grits. Pffh. You disgust me. *turns his northern nose up at you*  Tongue
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 04:09:34 AM »

Yet you'll probably eat grits.

The thing that I just realized about 'grits' is that it's sort of a variant on the concept of onomatopoeia. For those who have forgotten what they learned about figures of speech back in the day - a word is onomatopoetic if it aurally mirrors the sound that it describes - examples 'oink' or 'tick-tock'.

'Grit' well describes the texture of the food it describes - sort of 'gritty' (what am I saying, 'sort of'? - nah, it precisely describes the texture). On reflection, that makes 'grits' an ideophone - a word that describes or represents a quality of the thing it describes (an onomatopoetic word is a type of ideophone).

Many years,

Neil (who has probably just forfeited the 'well-educated gentleman' tag that Katherine, bless her heart, previously bestowed on him  Cry  ) 

katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2011, 12:38:57 PM »

But I know my Alabamian friends love me. They were so thoughtful to ask me to go snipe hunting, but I just couldn't make time.

Oh, how could you!!! I think it's absolutely reprehensible to hunt down poor little defenseless snipe as they roost so peacefully in the grits bushes.

Bless your heart!

Wink

St. John Chrysostom
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2011, 12:45:24 PM »

Yet you'll probably eat grits.

The thing that I just realized about 'grits' is that it's sort of a variant on the concept of onomatopoeia. For those who have forgotten what they learned about figures of speech back in the day - a word is onomatopoetic if it aurally mirrors the sound that it describes - examples 'oink' or 'tick-tock'.

'Grit' well describes the texture of the food it describes - sort of 'gritty' (what am I saying, 'sort of'? - nah, it precisely describes the texture). On reflection, that makes 'grits' an ideophone - a word that describes or represents a quality of the thing it describes (an onomatopoetic word is a type of ideophone).

Many years,

Neil (who has probably just forfeited the 'well-educated gentleman' tag that Katherine, bless her heart, previously bestowed on him  Cry  ) 

No, no - it's not your fault that you are disadvantaged and have not been exposed to true grits (as it were). Bless your heart, you've probably only had "instant" grits (shudder!)
True grits are a noble thing - which have nourished generations of those who are fortunate enough, by the grace of God, to have been born Southerners. They are, when properly prepared, creamy and slathered with butter. Or cheese. Or better yet, butter and cheese. (I really missed dairy!). It is, of course, an abomination before the Lord to put sugar and milk on grits, as I once, to my horror, witnessed a poor yankee-boy do in Denny's. Bless his heart.

St. John Chrysostom
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2011, 12:51:01 PM »

No, it's because they are written be ignorants whose knowledge about all but their own noses is taken from Wikipedia edited by their teen children.

Michał - well said!!! LOL  laugh laugh laugh

Three cheers from this father of a 26-y.o. Wikipedia Research Fellow (and yes, she is still very much a teen in her heart)!

Love never fails.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2011, 01:15:58 PM »

The article is about pierogies/varenyki...and has nothing to do with Christmas, or even Orthodoxy.

The only thing I found insulting is using cheddar cheese instead of творог.  Is outrage.  I also worry about finding proper сметана in America.  I came back to the US to visit relatives over my Christmas break and the highest percentage of fat I could find in the regular supermarket was 9%.  The absolute lowest I've seen in Ukraine is 15%.  I would never consider buying below 20%.  Even better is to go to the market to get fresh сметана from the village, ~60% fat... paradise. 

I honestly don't see why people are upset over an article about a parish social event / fundraiser.   
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2011, 01:46:17 PM »

The only thing I found insulting is using cheddar cheese instead of творог.  Is outrage.  I also worry about finding proper сметана in America.  I came back to the US to visit relatives over my Christmas break and the highest percentage of fat I could find in the regular supermarket was 9%.  The absolute lowest I've seen in Ukraine is 15%.  I would never consider buying below 20%.  Even better is to go to the market to get fresh сметана from the village, ~60% fat... paradise. 

I honestly don't see why people are upset over an article about a parish social event / fundraiser.   

I'm not upset, we generate about 30% of our parish's quite considerable operating expenses from our sales during western Lent, our parish festival and several sales during the rest of the year! Pirohi/Pyrohy/Pierogi/Varenkiki Power! I don't care how you spell it, just eat it as Weird Al once sang!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2011, 01:55:28 PM »

I'm upset that journalist throw away all the traditions, teachings and values but food recipes.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Russell

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Baptised Russian Orthodox

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2011, 02:03:48 PM »

I'm upset that journalist throw away all the traditions, teachings and values but food recipes.

In my city several catholic churches do "Christmas" tamales.  Maybe they can do a story about tamales next year.

Mathe 24:36
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2011, 02:17:07 PM »

... we generate about 30% of our parish's quite considerable operating expenses from our sales during western Lent, our parish festival and several sales during the rest of the year! Pirohi/Pyrohy/Pierogi/Varenkiki Power! I don't care how you spell it, just eat it as Weird Al once sang!

And those made by your parish are well worth eating; I've got to drive thru there this year and get some - it's been way too long (maybe grab a cup of coffee with you when I do  Smiley  )

Many years,

Neil

Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2011, 02:30:20 PM »

My grandmother would only use farmer's cheese.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2011, 04:08:26 PM »

But the story is about ethnic Christmas traditions still celebrated in the US.  A dogmatic treatise would be out of place.

In my city several catholic churches do "Christmas" tamales.  Maybe they can do a story about tamales next year.

Awesome.  I grew up in Arizona.  When I came back home on Christmas day this year, a tamale was the first thing I had. 

A true Ukrainian!  Grin
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2011, 04:46:34 PM »

But the story is about ethnic Christmas traditions still celebrated in the US.  A dogmatic treatise would be out of place.

Awesome.  I grew up in Arizona.  When I came back home on Christmas day this year, a tamale was the first thing I had. 

A true Ukrainian!  Grin

Farmers cheese is the only cheese filling to use for sure. Wegman's carries Friendship brand year round and always around Easter and Passover, at least in upstate NY where they started out.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2011, 04:59:49 PM »

A true Ukrainian!  Grin

Farmers cheese is the only cheese filling to use for sure. Wegman's carries Friendship brand year round and always around Easter and Passover, at least in upstate NY where they started out.
Binghamton, NY, is the pieroghi capital of the world!

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Father H
Archon

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2011, 07:45:41 PM »

[/quote]

Capital?  Surely you jest!
Father H
Archon

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2011, 08:55:21 PM »

{Anticipated reply:  "I do not jest, and don't call me Shirley")
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2011, 09:02:42 PM »

[/quote]

It's true.....http://www.pierogypocket.com/ and http://www.pierogies.com/retail/article.asp?articleid=56
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2011, 03:38:18 AM »

It's true.....http://www.pierogypocket.com/ and http://www.pierogies.com/retail/article.asp?articleid=56
[/quote]

Absolutely true! As well as being the Spiedie Sauce and carousel capital!

Many years,

Neil

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2011, 10:13:35 AM »

What's a pierogy? Huh

And except for the teensy-weensy grammatical point that "y'all" is plural, of course, I'm thrilled to see that there's at least one educated gentleman amongst all y'all here.

Miss Catherine--Around here, we do tend to say "all y'all" for the plural, just like you did.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2011, 08:32:19 PM »

Yet you'll probably eat grits. Pffh. You disgust me. *turns his northern nose up at you*  Tongue

OK, pilgrim, those are fighting words.  police

I would bet that I would change your mind if I could get you to visit us in Charleston, SC and partake of the heavenly Shrimp and Grits a la Charleston!

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2011, 12:15:39 AM »

I would bet that I would change your mind if I could get you to visit us in Charleston, SC and partake of the heavenly Shrimp and Grits a la Charleston!
It's the End of the World in Charleston!

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2011, 10:27:13 AM »

No, no, honey, it's all right. He just doesn't know any better, bless his heart. It's not his fault he was born a yankee.

St. John Chrysostom
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: