OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 05:53:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antiochian Western Rite Parish in London  (Read 960 times) Average Rating: 0
Dewi Sant

Faith: Christian

Saint David of Wales, Pray for Us!

« on: January 06, 2011, 11:13:44 PM »

"In 1911, the Antiochian Patriarchate received a parish in London using the Western Rite in English. The Patriarch of Alexandria also recognized the same parish. There was obviously a wide movement of the highest authorities of the Orthodox Church to establish viable Western Rite work in Europe and America in the opening decades of the 20th century. It was the cruel destruction of the Russian Orthodox Church by the Bolsheviks which brought a temporary end to this progress." - http://www.antiochian.org/node/22416

Does anyone know anything more about the parish which is mentioned in the above article?

I thought the Antiochian Orthodox Church is very small in Britain, but their website gives a different picture. Infact, there is an Orthodox chaplaincy to a university very close to where I live (how could I have missed that  Shocked )
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 11:14:38 PM by Dewi Sant » Logged

"Guide me, O thou great Redeemer, pilgrim through this barren land."
Dewi Sant

Faith: Christian

Saint David of Wales, Pray for Us!

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 11:34:56 PM »

Would I be right in assuming it has something to do with the former Old Catholic Bishop Arnold Harris Mathew?

"Guide me, O thou great Redeemer, pilgrim through this barren land."
kijabeboy03
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 02:46:00 PM »

I don't know what happened to that particular parish, but as far as I know there is no Western Rites work in the Antiochian Orthodox Church in the UK today. There is a growing Roman Rite (or modified Anglican Rite?) presence within the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad (ROCOR) in the UK, however. Metropolitan Hilarion's election as First Hierarch of the ROCOR has been good for the Western Rites work worldwide under the Synod Abroad.

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
FrMichael

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 02:35:01 PM »

Indeed there is no Antiochian Orthodox Western Rite here in Britain.  The parish referred to was connected with Dr. Overbeck.  Today however, with the official establishment of Western Rite here in the British Isles by the Holy Synod of ROCOR and Metropolitan Hilarion, we have a beginning both here and in Europe (Holland and France) of starting again.  Just today, Fr Joshua - the Prior of Saint George Hermitage (part of Saint Petroc Monastery) said:  "Western Rite ROCOR is really taking off! The growth is amazing! Inquiries are coming in faster than we can deal with! But this is a nice problem to have. Evangelizing and re-evangelizing America, South America, Australia/New Zealand and Western Europe and restoring Holy Orthodox Christianity where it was lost through the insanity of apostasy and schism."

So yes - it is happening.  We desperately need clergy and we desperately need money.  go to our website WEBSITE DELETED to see what we are doing.

Fr. Michael

Fr Michael---

As is clearly posted in our Board Rules thread, all solicitations for funds must be approved by the Forum Administrator prior to actively soliciting donations.

+FrChris
Admin
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 07:01:57 PM by FrChris » Logged
SubdeaconDavid
"...the spread of the light of Orthodoxy among the peoples of all the lands where our Church exists continues as an inseparable part of our mission": Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of ROCOR
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church Abroad (ROCOR)

Помилуй мя Боже, по велицей милости Твоей

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 08:38:59 AM »

Indeed there is no Antiochian Orthodox Western Rite here in Britain.  The parish referred to was connected with Dr. Overbeck.  Today however, with the official establishment of Western Rite here in the British Isles by the Holy Synod of ROCOR and Metropolitan Hilarion, we have a beginning both here and in Europe (Holland and France) of starting again.  Just today, Fr Joshua - the Prior of Saint George Hermitage (part of Saint Petroc Monastery) said:  "Western Rite ROCOR is really taking off! The growth is amazing! Inquiries are coming in faster than we can deal with! But this is a nice problem to have. Evangelizing and re-evangelizing America, South America, Australia/New Zealand and Western Europe and restoring Holy Orthodox Christianity where it was lost through the insanity of apostasy and schism."

So yes - it is happening.  We desperately need clergy and we desperately need money.  go to our website WEBSITE DELETED to see what we are doing.

Fr. Michael

Fr Michael---

As is clearly posted in our Board Rules thread, all solicitations for funds must be approved by the Forum Administrator prior to actively soliciting donations.

+FrChris
Admin

What to speak of the Petrochian Asian missions - St. Seraphim Singapore (in abeyance) http://orthodoxwesternrite.wordpress.com/south-east-asia-missions/ and the much more successful Philippine missions of "canonically released" AWRV parishes now part of the St. Petroc ROCOR western-rite under a "Fr. Janel". 

Visit my blog@  http://orthodoxtasmania.blogspot.com

To the Russians abroad it has been granted to shine in the whole world  the light of Orthodoxy, so that other peoples, seeing their good deeds, might glorify our Father in Heaven, and thus obtain salvation
S John of Shanghai & San Francisco
Margaret S.

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 05:01:51 PM »

Why are we using quotation marks?

Best wishes,
Sr Margaret
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 05:06:06 PM by Margaret S. » Logged
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 05:27:17 PM »

Best wishes,
Sr Margaret

Well, it claims to be the largest WR mission in the Russian Church Abroad, with over 100 people  http://orthodoxchristianwest.blogspot.com/ and yet neither the mission/parish nor Fr Janel are listed in the ROCA Directory which was updated only a few weeks ago.

http://directory.stinnocentpress.com/index.cgi

We know that Metropolitan Hilarion has had to eject at least two "priests" from the Asian WR mission.  Presumably they were not vetted adequately by Fr Michael who is the Metropolitan's assistant in these matters.  So I can understand if there is some question about "Fr Janel."

Now that Fr Michael is back in Hobart I hear that there is hope that he will visit his Asian missions and deal with these matters.
SubdeaconDavid
"...the spread of the light of Orthodoxy among the peoples of all the lands where our Church exists continues as an inseparable part of our mission": Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of ROCOR
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 08:02:57 PM »

Best wishes,
Sr Margaret
Just quoting the site Sister.  It might be useful to put up a little more information about Fr. Janel and the services and activities of what is after all your largest western-rite mission.

To the Russians abroad it has been granted to shine in the whole world  the light of Orthodoxy, so that other peoples, seeing their good deeds, might glorify our Father in Heaven, and thus obtain salvation
SubdeaconDavid
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 08:05:24 PM »

Best wishes,
Sr Margaret

Well, it claims to be the largest WR mission in the Russian Church Abroad, with over 100 people  http://orthodoxchristianwest.blogspot.com/ and yet neither the mission/parish nor Fr Janel are listed in the ROCA Directory which was updated only a few weeks ago.

http://directory.stinnocentpress.com/index.cgi

We know that Metropolitan Hilarion has had to eject at least two "priests" from the Asian WR mission.  Presumably they were not vetted adequately by Fr Michael who is the Metropolitan's assistant in these matters.  So I can understand if there is some question about "Fr Janel."

Now that Fr Michael is back in Hobart I hear that there is hope that he will visit his Asian missions and deal with these matters.
Given the size of the Asian paruchia missions, it would be surprising if these missions did not receive such a visitation, especially if the Head is now back home in Australia, being more proximate than the British Isles.

Tags: Western Rite  london  britain  England  twentieth century  Antiochian 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: