OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 06:49:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Egypt Muslims to act as "human shields" at Coptic Christmas Eve mass  (Read 3284 times) Average Rating: 0
Paisius
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Multi-Jurisdictional

Reframed

« on: January 06, 2011, 11:05:52 PM »

From Ahram online:

“Although 2011 started tragically, I feel it will be a year of eagerly anticipated change, where Egyptians will stand against sectarianism and unite as one,” Father Rafaeil Sarwat of the Mar-Mina church told Ahram Online. The Coptic priest was commenting on the now widespread call by Muslim intellectuals and activists upon Egyptian Muslims at large to flock to Coptic churches across the country to attend Coptic Christmas Eve mass, to show solidarity with the nation's Coptic minority, but also to serve as "human shields" against possible attacks by Islamist militants."

Link

"Is it really true that political self-interest is nobler somehow than economic self-interest?" - Milton Friedman
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 11:41:25 PM »

From Ahram online:

“Although 2011 started tragically, I feel it will be a year of eagerly anticipated change, where Egyptians will stand against sectarianism and unite as one,” Father Rafaeil Sarwat of the Mar-Mina church told Ahram Online. The Coptic priest was commenting on the now widespread call by Muslim intellectuals and activists upon Egyptian Muslims at large to flock to Coptic churches across the country to attend Coptic Christmas Eve mass, to show solidarity with the nation's Coptic minority, but also to serve as "human shields" against possible attacks by Islamist militants."

Link

For he that is not against us is for us. For truly, I say to you, whoever gives you a cup of water to drink because you bear the name of Christ, will by no means lose his reward. Mark 9:40-1.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 11:50:48 PM »

For he that is not against us is for us. For truly, I say to you, whoever gives you a cup of water to drink because you bear the name of Christ, will by no means lose his reward. Mark 9:40-1.
I notice a vague similarity to Starbucks' new logo:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 11:52:06 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 11:52:34 PM »

I notice a vague similarity to Starbucks new logo:

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 02:16:41 AM »

These pictures on theorthodoxchurch.info must have just been posted:

http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/news/2011/01/orthodox-nativity-celebrations-worldwide-snaps/

They are pictures of celebrations of Christmas around the world, including pictures of people celebrating today.  Toward the bottom, there is a picture of Mubarak's two sons at a Christmas Eve liturgy in a Coptic Church. 

Either this means they are taking the human shield thing seriously, or Mubarak is trying to reach out to the Copts right now.

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 02:25:47 AM »

These pictures on theorthodoxchurch.info must have just been posted:

http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/news/2011/01/orthodox-nativity-celebrations-worldwide-snaps/

They are pictures of celebrations of Christmas around the world, including pictures of people celebrating today.  Toward the bottom, there is a picture of Mubarak's two sons at a Christmas Eve liturgy in a Coptic Church. 

Either this means they are taking the human shield thing seriously, or Mubarak is trying to reach out to the Copts right now.

I see Gamal Mubarak, but where's Alaa?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 02:37:42 AM »

This is the caption that went under the picture:

A Coptic priest wafts incense near Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak's sons Alaa Mubarak (2nd L) and Gamal Mubarak (R) during the Coptic Christmas eve mass, which will be led by Pope Shenouda III, the 117th Pope of the Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria and Patriarch of the See of St. Mark Cathedral, in Cairo January 6, 2011

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 02:41:02 AM »

This is the caption that went under the picture:

A Coptic priest wafts incense near Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak's sons Alaa Mubarak (2nd L) and Gamal Mubarak (R) during the Coptic Christmas eve mass, which will be led by Pope Shenouda III, the 117th Pope of the Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria and Patriarch of the See of St. Mark Cathedral, in Cairo January 6, 2011

Wow. Alaa has aged considerably over the past few years.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 01:23:26 PM »

HG Bishop Ruweiss (sp?) is the one in the picture censing, a general bishop.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 07:03:41 PM »

Vague? What..they are both green and white? Look out on St. Patty's Day then......
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 01:56:35 AM »

Vague? What..they are both green and white? Look out on St. Patty's Day then......
In the new Starbucks logo, there's a fairly visible crescent moon outline (with the crescent pointing downwards), and a five-pointed star at the thickest part of the crescent.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Smiley

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags: al-Qidiseen massacre 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: