OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 11:08:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How should a catechumen/inquirer repent?  (Read 1278 times) Average Rating: 0
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« on: January 06, 2011, 10:24:57 PM »

My parents will not let me receive Holy Baptism in the Church so I have to wait until I move out. But, in the meantime, since I cannot participate in the Mystery of Repentance, how should I repent when I do a particularly bad sin?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 10:31:47 PM »

If you are Catholic, there is a good chance you may be received into Orthodoxy by chrismation...no need to be baptized. Grin

But, I know that's not you meant. Anyway...there are a variety of ways to do this. Prayer, fasting, etc. I would especially suggestion the Canon of Repentance to our Lord Jesus Christ. If you have contact with an Orthodox priest, feel free to speak with him about these issues, even if you cannot receive absolution from him. My priest actually offers this to all catechumen/very serious inquirers. He will actually meet with you where the faithful usually confess in the nave, and stand before the icon of Christ with you, and hear a confession. Instead of the usual order, he offers prayers of repentance and preparation for holy baptism. It is very comforting. I do not know how wide-spread of a practice this is, but it never hurts to ask.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 10:37:12 PM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 12:05:37 AM »

Forgive someone.

"And forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us."
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 01:16:00 PM »

Repentance is turning away from sin, and toward doing Christ's commandments. So, step one would be to renounce sinning.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 07:30:13 PM »

Bump.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 10:08:12 PM »

This is taken from an Orthodox prayerbook. You could incorporate it into your daily prayers or when you feel the need to confess something, and then try to do what the prayer says. You could even insert specific things you want to confess in there.

A Prayer of Repentance
O Lord our God, good and merciful, I acknowledge all my sins which I have committed every day of my life, in thought, word and deed; in body and soul alike. I am heartily sorry that I have ever offended thee, and I sincerely repent; with tears I humbly pray thee, O Lord: of thy mercy forgive me all my past transgressions and absolve me from them. I firmly resolve, with the help of Thy Grace, to amend my way of life and to sin no more; that I may walk in the way of the righteous and offer praise and glory to the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Amen.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 10:19:44 PM »

you could meditate upon the preparation for confession (some Orthodox prayer books have this), and you could also read the initiation by chrismation service and think about some of the things that we are asked to renounce, and meditate upon those also.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 10:36:53 PM »

If you are Catholic, there is a good chance you may be received into Orthodoxy by chrismation...no need to be baptized. Grin

But, I know that's not you meant. Anyway...there are a variety of ways to do this. Prayer, fasting, etc. I would especially suggestion the Canon of Repentance to our Lord Jesus Christ. If you have contact with an Orthodox priest, feel free to speak with him about these issues, even if you cannot receive absolution from him. My priest actually offers this to all catechumen/very serious inquirers. He will actually meet with you where the faithful usually confess in the nave, and stand before the icon of Christ with you, and hear a confession. Instead of the usual order, he offers prayers of repentance and preparation for holy baptism. It is very comforting. I do not know how wide-spread of a practice this is, but it never hurts to ask.

This site on prodigy does not have internet support.

Is there any other site that has a copy of this canon?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 02:02:56 AM »

Repentance is more than a confession and a receiving of absolution. It should be the very cornerstone of our existence.

To repent is to turn away from sin totally; even those of us Orthodox who have made confession before a priest still turn back towards sin.  It's a great remedy, but repentance, founded in our Lord, is the ultimate cure.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 02:20:51 AM »

My parents will not let me receive Holy Baptism in the Church so I have to wait until I move out. But, in the meantime, since I cannot participate in the Mystery of Repentance, how should I repent when I do a particularly bad sin?

Repentance is not at all confined to the Sacrament of Confession. The priest is, after all, only a witness. The forgiveness comes from God. And God has been forgiving sins for a very long time when people come to Him with a repentant heart.

Repentance is a change of heart. If you fall, get up and return to the fight against evil. If you fall again, get up again. Repeat. God knows the heart and your conscience, if you listen, will guide you.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 10:05:47 AM »

As always Talk about this with the priest who is doing your catechumenate or guiding you through your inquiery into the faith. If not contact Father Chris, our pastoral administrator in a private message and I am sure you will get a more correct answer the clergy of the Orthodox Church than you will get from the laity who speak only from our own experience base.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: