OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 02:29:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Journal: Study linking vaccine to autism was fraud  (Read 2106 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« on: January 06, 2011, 04:19:04 AM »

Journal: Study linking vaccine to autism was fraud

The first study to link a childhood vaccine to autism was based on doctored information about the children involved, according to a new report on the widely discredited research.

The conclusions of the 1998 paper by Andrew Wakefield and colleagues was renounced by 10 of its 13 authors and later retracted by the medical journal Lancet, where it was published. Still, the suggestion the MMR shot was connected to autism spooked parents worldwide and immunization rates for measles, mumps and rubella have never fully recovered.

A new examination found, by comparing the reported diagnoses in the paper to hospital records, that Wakefield and colleagues altered facts about patients in their study...
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 04:58:24 AM »

Journal: Study linking vaccine to autism was fraud

The first study to link a childhood vaccine to autism was based on doctored information about the children involved, according to a new report on the widely discredited research.

The conclusions of the 1998 paper by Andrew Wakefield and colleagues was renounced by 10 of its 13 authors and later retracted by the medical journal Lancet, where it was published. Still, the suggestion the MMR shot was connected to autism spooked parents worldwide and immunization rates for measles, mumps and rubella have never fully recovered.

A new examination found, by comparing the reported diagnoses in the paper to hospital records, that Wakefield and colleagues altered facts about patients in their study...

Was there ever anyone who actually read this article who was stupid enough to believe the shoddy research? I remember reading this article years ago and it was full of statistically invalid conclusion and outright inconsistencies. I had just assumed that the person who did the study was an idiot, I guess it turns out he was an outright fraud.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 10:17:13 AM »

Was there ever anyone who actually read this article who was stupid enough to believe the shoddy research? I remember reading this article years ago and it was full of statistically invalid conclusion and outright inconsistencies. I had just assumed that the person who did the study was an idiot, I guess it turns out he was an outright fraud.

Well, I don't know about reading it, but as you know, many people let the idea take hold of their mind and grow like a weed. I know it didn't take me long when I started to look into it to come to the conclusion that there wasn't anything to the supposed connnection--and that was coming from someone who actually did have a bad reaction to a vaccine, as I had a grand mal seizure as an infant in reaction to one--but many people have chosen a different path.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 09:50:04 PM »

Well, I don't know about reading it, but as you know, many people let the idea take hold of their mind and grow like a weed. I know it didn't take me long when I started to look into it to come to the conclusion that there wasn't anything to the supposed connnection--and that was coming from someone who actually did have a bad reaction to a vaccine, as I had a grand mal seizure as an infant in reaction to one--but many people have chosen a different path.

I know there are some people who buy into this anti-vaccine nonsense, which is why we've had outbreaks of diseases like mumps and whooping cough recently, diseases which hadn't been seen in the United States for decades, mainly from unvaccinated children traveling overseas. Not vaccinating a child is borderline child abuse and if you fail to vaccinate a child and they get sick as a result that's clearly deliberate and premeditated child abuse. Sure, there can be complications and risks, but it should be obvious to everyone that the diseases that these vaccines protect against are far, far greater.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 10:00:05 PM »

I really hope the parents out there will take their kids to get their shots. This was a part of life when I was a kid, and it was really taught to us that vaccines were the reason people didn't die anymore from many diseases that had been wiped out. Hopefully this news will wake up a lot of people.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 10:17:08 PM »

Not vaccinating a child is borderline child abuse and if you fail to vaccinate a child and they get sick as a result that's clearly deliberate and premeditated child abuse.
C'mon!  "Premeditated child abuse"?!  I'm sure this is just another one of your "Shock The Christians" statements, but the vast majority of parents are simply doing the best they can to ensure their children remain healthy.

Sure, there can be complications and risks,...
Oh, you do get it after all.  Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 10:39:55 PM »

Sure, there can be complications and risks, but it should be obvious to everyone that the diseases that these vaccines protect against are far, far greater.

Penn and Teller did a somewhat humorous bit on this to begin their show on vaccines earlier this year (Vid -- warning for language).
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 11:08:40 PM »

Not vaccinating a child is borderline child abuse and if you fail to vaccinate a child and they get sick as a result that's clearly deliberate and premeditated child abuse.
C'mon!  "Premeditated child abuse"?!  I'm sure this is just another one of your "Shock The Christians" statements, but the vast majority of parents are simply doing the best they can to ensure their children remain healthy.

I was unaware Christians had an issue with vaccinations, with the possible exception of Christian Scientists. I think it's mostly just hippies.

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 01:02:17 AM »

C'mon!  "Premeditated child abuse"?!  I'm sure this is just another one of your "Shock The Christians" statements,
You're easily shocked, aren't you, Gabriel? Wink
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 12:18:36 PM »

Unfortunately, anti-vaccine propaganda has affected people from all walks of life, including Orthodox Christians. 

My pet theory is that for most parents, there's something rather scary about letting someone stab your child with a piece of metal, and it's hard to let your intellect (knowing this is good for your child) overpower that emotional reaction.  Anti-vaccine hysteria validates that fear and lets you think your emotional reaction was somehow "right" all along.

I usually tell people to go to skeptoid.com and search for "vaccine" or "Jenny McCarthy".

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 05:20:41 PM »

Sorry guys, I am very anti vaccine. 

Mercury (thimerosal) is poisonous.
Squalene jacks up the immune system.
There is also formaldehyde in many vaccines.

That research you speak of was not the only research linking vaccines to Autism amongst other illnesses.   

When I was a kid back in 1976, there was about 5 vaccines you were "supposed" to take before age 12.
Today there are 64.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
cobweb

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 05:53:35 PM »

I have a child on the autistic spectrum.  He was autistic in the womb.

I have spent time talking with folks involved in genetic autism research.  My son has been used as a case-study.

The anti-vax stuff is crap. 
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 06:21:09 PM »

When I was a kid back in 1976, there was about 5 vaccines you were "supposed" to take before age 12.
Today there are 64.

Which would be...?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 07:56:05 PM »

That research you speak of was not the only research linking vaccines to Autism amongst other illnesses.   

Today there are 64.

Squalene and formaldehyde are both in your body right now, and thiomersol is not a dangerous form of mercury.

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 08:50:08 PM »

Today there are 64.

Squalene and formaldehyde are both in your body right now, and thiomersol is not a dangerous form of mercury.

Yes, formaldehyde is in your body in excessive amounts if you drink diet sodas with aspartame.
Aspartame gives me severe headaches, and I am chemically sensitive to formaldehyde.
Hence, I must avoid overripe fruit (one source of formaldehyde) and new car odors (loaded with formaldehyde and toluene).

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Warned
Archon

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 10:23:49 PM »

Thiomersal is not mercury, but in any case almost no childhood vaccine these days contains it, though perhaps a few contain a trace amount. (Some flu vaccines do still use it.) If you want to read some reality on the matter, the FDA page on it should prove enlightening.

Squalene is not used in making vaccines (notwithstanding false claims that it was added to some anthrax vaccines) but does apparently occur as a trace contaminant. However the amounts involved are incredibly tiny to the point where the testing regime had to be extended to find them at all. The amounts found were in general less than the normal blood concentration of the chemical. Of course there's an FDA report on this too, not that the anti-vaccine crowd ever reads any of these.

...and as everyone should have guessed by now, the FDA has info on this one too.

If you can cite another that is widely accepted, be my guest.

When I was a kid back in 1976, there was about 5 vaccines you were "supposed" to take before age 12. Today there are 64.

No, there isn't. Again, you can look up the schedule, and even if you get an influenza vaccine every year it's going to add up to about 45. If you look at the schedule half of the total are administered before age 1 so if you remember only five that's actually about what's administered now to boys (subtract smallpox, add chickenpox and MCV) after age two.

[/quote]
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 08:40:45 PM »

I don't know how relevant this is, but my daughter did not start having seizures until after her MMR shots. Before she was a very healthy baby and now we have found out that she has a very rare genetic mutation and sensory problems.

It could all just be coincidence, though.

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 08:44:26 PM »

I remember I used to hate getting shots. I'm glad I did, though.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 08:45:26 PM »

I don't know how relevant this is, but my daughter did not start having seizures until after her MMR shots. Before she was a very healthy baby and now we have found out that she has a very rare genetic mutation and sensory problems.

I am very sorry to hear of the events with your daughter. May God give your family strength!

However, since your daughter's issues are due to a very rare genetic mutation, are your proposing that the MMR vaccine altered your daughter's DNA?

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
dcommini
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2012, 09:15:52 PM »

I am very sorry to hear of the events with your daughter. May God give your family strength!

However, since your daughter's issues are due to a very rare genetic mutation, are your proposing that the MMR vaccine altered your daughter's DNA?

Thank you, Father.

I don't think I would say that the MMR vaccine altered her DNA perse, but perhaps activated something in her DNA that triggered her seizures (I am in no way a doctor or a geneticist so I claim no knowledge of how this stuff works, my wife, on the other hand is in the medical field and was going to be a doctor so she understands much more than I do or will). At this point we really don't know, though some doctors have hinted at supposed problems happening from vaccines after we tell them about our daughter. They could just be humoring us.

The geneticist told us that it could be another 5 years until we know more about my daughters condition, so we have to wait for answers.

My main thing is I really do not trust medical science. ISTM that they are eager to push out some new medication or vaccine with out fully testing it or where the side effects make you sicker (or at least feel that way) than you would have been off the medicine. They treat the symptoms and not the actual issue.

Don't get me wrong, I still take my daughter to the hospital when she is sick and give her the medication that the doctors prescribe, but I wish there was a better way, especially for my daughter who has so many problems already (aside from the few I mentioned earlier).

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2012, 10:03:09 PM »

Thank you, Father.

I don't think I would say that the MMR vaccine altered her DNA perse, but perhaps activated something in her DNA that triggered her seizures (I am in no way a doctor or a geneticist so I claim no knowledge of how this stuff works, my wife, on the other hand is in the medical field and was going to be a doctor so she understands much more than I do or will). At this point we really don't know, though some doctors have hinted at supposed problems happening from vaccines after we tell them about our daughter. They could just be humoring us.

The geneticist told us that it could be another 5 years until we know more about my daughters condition, so we have to wait for answers.

My main thing is I really do not trust medical science. ISTM that they are eager to push out some new medication or vaccine with out fully testing it or where the side effects make you sicker (or at least feel that way) than you would have been off the medicine. They treat the symptoms and not the actual issue.

Don't get me wrong, I still take my daughter to the hospital when she is sick and give her the medication that the doctors prescribe, but I wish there was a better way, especially for my daughter who has so many problems already (aside from the few I mentioned earlier).

It is true that many medications have side effects that seem worse than the disease itself, however vaccines do not fall into the category of "treat the symptoms and not the actual issue". Vaccines (along with antibiotics) are one of the few medications we have that are all about treating (in the case of vaccines, preventing) disease.

A little off topic, but I just recently saw a commercial for a quit-smoking medication that included the possible side effects "changes in behavior, hostility, agitation, depressed mood, and possible suicide". I thought, dang, why use the medication at all, then? You might as well go cold-turkey and skip the the suicide.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
dcommini
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 10:06:31 PM »

Thank you, Father.

It is true that many medications have side effects that seem worse than the disease itself, however vaccines do not fall into the category of "treat the symptoms and not the actual issue". Vaccines (along with antibiotics) are one of the few medications we have that are all about treating (in the case of vaccines, preventing) disease.

A little off topic, but I just recently saw a commercial for a quit-smoking medication that included the possible side effects "changes in behavior, hostility, agitation, depressed mood, and possible suicide". I thought, dang, why use the medication at all, then? You might as well go cold-turkey and skip the the suicide.

I understand about the vaccines and the antibiotics, but its the principle of the matter  Grin.

And on your tangent. Why take the medication when the side effects are the same ones as quitting cold turkey?

Check out my blog...
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 11:00:38 PM »

I'm old and ugly enough to have gone to school with polio kids in calipers. I can also remember the post-war (Second World War for you youngsters) sepia-tinted posters in the local municipal chambers exhorting folks to get their kids vaccinated against measles, mumps, polio, tetanus, and rubella (German measles). All the girls in my school were all vaccinated with the rubella vaccine when they were 13-14, and there were similar school-based vaccination programs for tuberculosis. We all got our shots, if our Mantoux tests were favorable. Those who had a suspect Mantoux were sent to the local chest clinic. All this was the better part of 40 years ago.

A generation or more later, in my work, I encountered plenty of folks who had no idea, or had chosen to ignore the history, of the ravages infectious disease could cause. One woman, a mother of a five-year old, was even moved to say to me: Isn't it good that we have the choice not to vaccinate our children? I kept my professional composure, but I was sorely tempted to say to her: What you do with your own body is one thing. but, how dare you deny your child from being free from the devastating diseases that vaccination has protected from over many years?
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 11:07:55 PM »

I'm old and ugly enough to have gone to school with polio kids in calipers. I can also remember the post-war (Second World War for you youngsters) sepia-tinted posters in the local municipal chambers exhorting folks to get their kids vaccinated against measles, mumps, polio, tetanus, and rubella (German measles). All the girls in my school were all vaccinated with the rubella vaccine when they were 13-14, and there were similar school-based vaccination programs for tuberculosis. We all got our shots, if our Mantoux tests were favorable. Those who had a suspect Mantoux were sent to the local chest clinic. All this was the better part of 40 years ago.

A generation or more later, in my work, I encountered plenty of folks who had no idea, or had chosen to ignore the history, of the ravages infectious disease could cause. One woman, a mother of a five-year old, was even moved to say to me: Isn't it good that we have the choice not to vaccinate our children? I kept my professional composure, but I was sorely tempted to say to her: What you do with your own body is one thing. but, how dare you deny your child from being free from the devastating diseases that vaccination has protected from over many years?

Thumbs up!!

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2012, 11:12:29 PM »

Dear dcommini,

Since your daughter has a rare genetics disorder, and science has only begun to scratch the surface of genetics, you cannot by any means just sit there and say you don't trust medical science.

On a rare occasion, a vehicle made by Toyota or Ford or any other company can break down.  And perhaps, if add gasoline, without even knowing, some extremely rare malfunction can cause it to overheat, or even worse explode.  Let's suppose the gasoline is the cause.  Are we to fault really the gasoline, or fault the real cause within the vehicle?

I am so sorry for your daughter's condition, and I can imagine how hard it is for you and the rest of the family to live with this.  But a lot of this speculation is speculation unless we really find something conclusive.  One day, perhaps genetics will lead us to a point where one can figure out how to smoke without developing lung cancer or COPD.  But until then, at least we know for a majority don't smoke, even though you might see this 90 year old guy who smoked since he was 10 because he might have some sort of extremely rare genetic ability to fight it.

Don't lose trust in medical science.  Just as you don't lose trust in your own occupation if rare occurrences lead to mistakes.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 11:13:03 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2012, 11:21:21 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

The real issue is that there are increasing vaccines, and by the sheer dice role of the numbers games, "routine" side-effects are obviously going to increase.  With dozens of required vaccines for millions of children a year, every possible and potential side-effect is inevitably going to occur to at least a few children, and this is a shame.  It is one of the underestimated aspects of the vaccination movement in medicine, folks forgot to calculate in Murphy's Law in the long term.  It doesn't mean vaccinations are necessarily bad, just that physicians need to be extra attentive to any side-effects or after effects reported and not simply be dismissive because with millions of vaccines, surely even one or two extremely rare side-effects will occur, let alone the accepted statistical range..

Further, what may have happened your daughter dcommini is that sometimes the vaccines can trigger, aggravate, or influence symptoms of an already existing condition.  This is another "side-effect" which doctors should carefully monitor.  Tylenol used to be considered practically harmless too, and now? Its not that vaccines themselves are necessarily are dangerous, its just that over the scale of millions of shots they aren't exactly harmless, and so again, physicians need to be extra attentive.

I'm praying for you and your daughter, and of course us all.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2012, 05:12:15 AM »

Today there are 64.

You're missing the most obvious point here.  Vaccines are clearly a way for the Zionist establishment to secretly collect the blood of Christian children for ritual uses. 
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Warned
Archon

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2012, 09:23:19 AM »

The rubella vaccine came out when I was in elementary school (third or fourth grade, I think). I didn't get it because I had the German measles when I was little enough that I don't remember it. I also had chickenpox very young, and my father caught it too at the same time, which is not at all good for an adult. When the rubella vaccine was given at school I happened to get sick for some reason and I was in the health room behind a curtain while everyone else was getting shots until my mom came and picked it up. Some years later she was exposed to TB and we all had TB tests several times over in the same year.

On the positive front, India reported yesterday that they had gone an entire year with no new cases of polio. It looks possible that it may be the second disease wiped out in my lifetime.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2012, 10:20:32 AM »

Today there are 64.

You're missing the most obvious point here.  Vaccines are clearly a way for the Zionist establishment to secretly collect the blood of Christian children for ritual uses. 

Didn't you hear? They've upgraded to robot mosquitoes

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: