OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 08:50:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Homosexuality & Orthodoxy: Network to Support Living Chastely  (Read 1563 times) Average Rating: 0
Couragemember

OC.net

« on: April 26, 2004, 06:05:58 PM »

Christ is risen!

I am an Orthodox member of Courage, a national Roman Catholic group, with chapters around the country, that seeks to support those who struggle with Same-Sex Attraction/Homosexuality, but who wish to live chastely, in obedience to Church teaching on human sexuality and family.  (My research confirms that the teachings of the official Roman Catholic hierarchy and of the Orthodox Church are essentially the same, on this particular issue.)

With the blessings of my Orthodox parish priest/confessor, the spiritual advisor of our local Courage group (a Catholic priest), and the knowledge of the national office of Courage, I am seeking to form a network of Orthodox and Eastern rite Courage members.

The goal of such a network would be to discuss this issue and our struggles in the light of Orthodox Tradition.  If enough people participate, we would also like to set up a meeting at the 2005 national Courage conference, at which our group could be addressed by one or several Orthodox priests and/or hierarchs.

If you could benefit from participation in such a group, please contact me by personal or instant message.  If you know of someone else who might benefit, please pass on this information to them, and ask them to consider contacting me through the same means, or by e-mailing me at yiostharou@hotmail.com.  (That address will not be set up until later this week, however.)

Thanks for you consideration.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 06:09:34 PM by Couragemember » Logged
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 06:17:20 PM »

What a great idea.  Thank you for this.

While not specifically geared towards homosexual temptations, I advise anyone that has struggles with sexual compulsions to check out www.sa.org as well.

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 06:18:17 PM »

Please contact the gentleman by email because the private message system is not on a secure server.

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
moronikos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ...and they were first called Christians in Antioch

I'm trying to think, but nothing happens!

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 06:31:18 PM »

E-mail is not really secure either.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 06:32:12 PM »

E-mail is not really secure either.

OK granted but it is more secure than private message!

Please Buy My Book!

Couragemember

OC.net

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 09:02:52 PM »

The e-mail account, yiostharou@hotmail.com, is now up and running.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2004, 09:15:17 PM »

May God Grant you many years!

This is a very important ministry to help those who struggle with this. I pray that those who have these feelings find support in your efforts.

Joseph
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2004, 09:18:53 PM »

Couragemember,

This is a good endeavor.  You should consider setting up a website in the near future.  I'm sure there are people here who can help with that if you are unexperienced in web design.

If you produce a website or flyers, I'll be happy to distribute them in the OCA Archdiocese of the South for you.  I've known a couple of people with this affliction who are struggling Orthodox and while one has died and another is nearing the end of his life, I'm sure there are many others out there who can be helped with an effort such as this.  

As far as secure email goes, no email exchange can be totally secure, but for most people who are not in the public eye(politicans, celebrities, etc) can expect a reasonable level of security from simply creating an email address from one of the free providers(hotmail, yahoo, etc) and only using it on public computers and not your personal computer.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2004, 04:32:11 AM »

Couragemember,
I applaud and respect your efforts. Even those of us not so attracted as perhaps what may be your target membership could use some (more) direction on living chastely and with humility.
Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: