OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 04:35:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A FB Friend Seeking a Priest and Baptism  (Read 992 times) Average Rating: 0
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« on: January 06, 2011, 03:34:26 AM »

A new friend on Facebook has contacted me expressing his desire to be baptized into the Orthodox Church. He is from Pakistan and has been a Catholic for many years. He told me that he contacted a Priest from the Syriac Orthodox Church but was refused (according to him)because of the conflict between India and Pakistan. Anyway, I told him I would try to find a Priest who might be willing to correspond with him and possibly catechize him. I think he is open to being baptized in any Non-Chalcedonian Church. His name is Javed. Please pray for him.

Thank you.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 03:45:01 AM »

It's funny you mention it because playing around with facebook, I found out that the Coptic Bishop of Melbourne ordained a Pakistani a priest of a new Orthodox group under the auspices of His Grace.  Here's His Grace's facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=517291753
and the priest:
http://www.facebook.com/fr.anthony

Good luck :-)

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 03:51:13 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 04:06:16 AM »

It's funny you mention it because playing around with facebook, I found out that the Coptic Bishop of Melbourne ordained a Pakistani a priest of a new Orthodox group under the auspices of His Grace.  Here's His Grace's facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=517291753
and the priest:
http://www.facebook.com/fr.anthony

Good luck :-)

Cool. Thanks Mina!

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 07:27:08 AM »

Btw, what's the status of Christians in Pakistan? Are they persecuted?

ag_vn
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 08:06:52 AM »

Situation doesn't seem good, just google "Asia Bibi". Although church building can be built with crosses on them.

Rawalpindi, Christian burned alive is buried. Police suspected of setting him on fire.

Punjab: Christian burned alive dies, Christian community calls for justice

Punjab governor assassinated, he had called for Asia Bibi’s pardon

Anyone who is against the blasphemy law puts his life at risk, Lahore archbishop says
Arnaud

Jurisdiction: None for now.. not yet chrismated and not yet a catechumen in church either.. it's been years I have been catechumenizing myself so to speak.. in doing research again and again.. hopefully one day I will be chrismated in one of the Oriental Orthodox Churches.. or who knows maybe in one of the Eastern Orthodox Churches.. but right now miaphysite christology seems right to me..

God is VERY GREAT and I am very small

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 10:31:07 AM »

Besema Ab, wo Weld, wa Manfes Kedus, ahadu Amlak, amin.

Greetings Gebre, beloved. I would just like to say that it is the shame that a priest refuses the baptism to a man because of political reasons. I do not know if things are not more complicated than that. But I think, an Oriental church, being the kingdom of God, should not limit itself to ethnical, social, political borders, or others.

Selam.

Mo'a Ambessa ze imnegede Yehuda !
The Lion of the tribe of Judah has conquered !
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 10:33:21 AM »

My advice: be careful in such situations. 9 times out of 10, the requests for money will commence soon.  I have had that situation happen multiple times when being contacted by people from Pakistan, Africa, etc.

Anyone who knows me knows how missionary-minded I am, so that should frame the context of my cautionary warning and demonstrate I am not just being cynical.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Arnaud

Jurisdiction: None for now.. not yet chrismated and not yet a catechumen in church either.. it's been years I have been catechumenizing myself so to speak.. in doing research again and again.. hopefully one day I will be chrismated in one of the Oriental Orthodox Churches.. or who knows maybe in one of the Eastern Orthodox Churches.. but right now miaphysite christology seems right to me..

God is VERY GREAT and I am very small

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 10:43:57 AM »

My advice: be careful in such situations. 9 times out of 10, the requests for money will commence soon.  I have had that situation happen multiple times when being contacted by people from Pakistan, Africa, etc.

Do you mean that you, as a clergyman, were asked to give money to them ?

Mo'a Ambessa ze imnegede Yehuda !
The Lion of the tribe of Judah has conquered !
kazakage
Nasrani

Jurisdiction: Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 11:03:37 AM »

..Syriac Orthodox Church and India Pak war?? Grin
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 12:11:44 PM »

He told me that he contacted a Priest from the Syriac Orthodox Church but was refused (according to him)because of the conflict between India and Pakistan.
1) Is Javed in Pakistan or is he in some foreign country?
2) Is the Syriac Orthodox Priest that he contacted based in India?
3) Do you know if he is referring to a Syriac Orthodox Priest under the Patriarchate of Antioch or the Autocephalous Indian Orthodox Church, which also follows the Syriac liturgy and tradition?

If the Syriac Orthodox Priest is based in India, then I am almost certain the Government of Pakistan will not give him a visa to go to Pakistan. That could be what is preventing the Priest. Also the Priest would be right to be concerned for the safety of Javed and that of himself. In Islam, if a believer abandons his faith he will be executed and Priest who baptizes him is not going to be spared either.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 12:12:25 PM by dhinuus » Logged

NULL
kazakage
Nasrani

Jurisdiction: Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 12:15:09 PM »

He told me that he contacted a Priest from the Syriac Orthodox Church but was refused (according to him)because of the conflict between India and Pakistan.
3) Do you know if he is referring to a Syriac Orthodox Priest under the Patriarchate of Antioch or the Autocephalous Indian Orthodox Church, which also follows the Syriac liturgy and tradition?

If the Syriac Orthodox Priest is based in India, then I am almost certain the Government of Pakistan will not give him a visa to go to Pakistan. That could be what is preventing the Priest. Also the Priest would be right to be concerned for the safety of Javed and that of himself. In Islam, if a believer abandons his faith he will be executed and Priest who baptizes him is not going to be spared either.

Isnt he a catholic now?
I think it will be Syriac orthodox Church,since i dont think our church has managed to reach Pakistan so fast Grin
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 01:16:19 PM »

Do you mean that you, as a clergyman, were asked to give money to them ?

Yes, it happens all the time. At least once a month. And not a few dollars. Hundreds, thousands. For every possible reason.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 07:15:50 PM »

Yes, thank you. I think this is indeed the situation. I apologize if I indicated that the Priest was refusing baptism because of prejudices. Javed does not write well in English, so it's a bit difficult sometimes to understand him.

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: