OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 08:33:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Faith on the Hill: The Religious Composition of the 112th Congress  (Read 666 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: January 06, 2011, 03:34:24 AM »

"Many analysts described the November 2010 midterm elections as a sea change, with Republicans taking control of the U.S. House of Representatives and narrowing the Democratic majority in the Senate. But this political overhaul appears to have had little effect on the religious composition of Congress, which is similar to the religious makeup of the previous Congress and of the nation, according to an analysis by the Pew Research Center’s Forum on Religion & Public Life."

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 08:27:41 AM »

Seems to me there are three significant areas of divergence:

1) Not a single congressperson declares themselves unaffiliated (i.e. non-religious, agnostic, or atheist), whereas 16.1% of the US population does. That's a huge difference.

2) There are absolutely no Pentecostals in the congress.

3) There are about three to four times more Jews, Presbyterians, and Episcopals in congress than there are in the general population.

None of these divergences surprise me -- in fact, they fit various stereotypes -- but they are significant differences nonetheless.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 08:28:26 AM by pensateomnia » Logged

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 08:55:44 AM »

^ I would add a 4th divergence to the list: Significantly fewer Non-denominational Protestants than what would be expected. (0.4% in Congress vs. 4.5% in the general population).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 09:53:39 AM »

That suprised me a bit. I'm having a stereotype that Pentecostalism is sort of major movement within US. Am I completely mistaken?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 10:27:40 AM »

1) Not a single congressperson declares themselves unaffiliated (i.e. non-religious, agnostic, or atheist), whereas 16.1% of the US population does. That's a huge difference.

Unless he has changed his mind, at least one of the people who "refused" or chose "other faiths" is actually non-religious/agnostic/atheist. Pete Stark (also see this story) has previously said that he does not believe in God.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 10:28:09 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 11:24:20 AM »

Unless he has changed his mind, at least one of the people who "refused" or chose "other faiths" is actually non-religious/agnostic/atheist. Pete Stark (also see this story) has previously said that he does not believe in God.
Many non-religious/agnostic/atheist-types are indeed affiliated...with the Unitarian Universalist community. Stark is a UU.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 11:25:24 AM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 11:26:58 AM »

Many non-religious/agnostic/atheist-types are indeed affiliated...with the Unitarian Universalist community. Stark is a UU.

True, that's why I included "other faiths" and didn't assume that he simply refused. I suppose he could have simply said "other" (Protestant), but I figured other faiths was more likely Smiley
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 11:28:09 AM »

That suprised me a bit. I'm having a stereotype that Pentecostalism is sort of major movement within US. Am I completely mistaken?
There are Pentecostals and there are pentecostals. I wonder how many (in particular the latter) labelled themselves as "Unspecified/Other (Protestant)" or "Other Christian".
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 11:28:36 AM »

Pentecostalism is a major movement in the US, but not in politics.

However, many Protestants in America are "charismatic", which means that they are deeply influenced by Pentecostalism, but they remain members of their home denominations. For instance, large numbers of Catholics speak in tongues and do faith-healing, typical Pentecostal practices, but those people remain Catholic.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 11:31:54 AM »

Yes.  They are just very vocal.  Sarah Palin is one (though baptised by the Vatican), but she identifies as non-denominational "Bible-believing."

with 11,000+ denominations dividing up 80-588 million (depending on how you define it and who you believe) world wide, not a unified witness.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: