OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 06:51:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Teenager aspiring to become Orthodox  (Read 5568 times) Average Rating: 0
ImperfectRose
Jacqueline

Faith: Inquirer to Orthodoxy

O Holy Saint Grand Duchess Elizabeth, pray for us!

« on: January 05, 2011, 10:34:53 PM »

Hello. I am 16 and a half years old, and am thinking about converting after I turn 18 in 2012. I was wondering what steps I could take until then to develop a strong relationship with Christ, the Theotokos, and the Saints? It's not that I don't like my church, I just feel that Orthodoxy, the true Christian church, has more meaning and depth to it than mine does. Thank you for any help that I am given. It is much appreciated. (:

Psalm 57:2 "I will cry out to God Most High, To God who performs all things for me."
Psalm 62:1 "Truly my soul silently waits for God; From Him comes my salvation."
Psalm 59:9 "I will wait for You, O You his Strength; For God is my defense."
John 11:35 "Jesus wept."
Shiranui117
Formerly known as "Wandering Sheep"

Faith: Orthodox (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: ACROD/OCA

PUDDI PUDDI!

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 10:59:08 PM »

Hey, I'm not far from your situation; I'm only 17 myself. Smiley

That being said, you could do a number of things; one thing I would heartily recommend is reading Scripture (something I need to do more myself!) and reflecting on it. You could read some of the writings of the Fathers; reading some of the homilies on certain books, or homilies in general, would jibe very well with the Scripture you're reading and give you new insights. Another idea is to pray, pray, and pray some more; there's a topic about developing a prayer rule, which I believe is with the stickied topics. Attending Vespers and Matins, when possible, in conjunction with the Divine Liturgy can also go a long way towards furthering your understanding of the Church.

By the way, for reading about the early Church and even a lot of writings by the Fathers, there is ccel.org. Fantastic resource; it even lists the 7 Ecumenical Councils (those are quite dense, though!)

And welcome to Holy Orthodoxy! Cheesy May God bless and keep you on your journey!
ImperfectRose
Jacqueline

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 11:07:09 PM »

Thank you very much for your help. Smiley The only problem is that, my mother and father will not allow me to attend any other church besides the one I've been baptized in. I've tried reasoning with them, and they have forbidden it. So I can't attend Vespers and Divine Liturgy as I would want to. Also, should I wear head coverings when I pray? I tried that today, and it felt spiritually humbling. Just wondered if it is required. Smiley

Psalm 57:2 "I will cry out to God Most High, To God who performs all things for me."
Shiranui117
Formerly known as "Wandering Sheep"

Faith: Orthodox (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: ACROD/OCA

PUDDI PUDDI!

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 11:09:44 PM »

I don't think head coverings are required; when I attend Vespers at my local Orthodox mission, I don't think any of the women wear head coverings. I'm not even sure anyone wore any during Divine Liturgy on the one time I went, even. At my Byzantine Catholic parish, a handful of women do. Overall, I don't believe head coverings are required, though they certainly aren't discouraged.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 11:12:00 PM »

I'm the same age.  I converted about 7 months ago.  I say, definatly read online about Orthodox beliefs.  if you want to cover your head, more power to you  Smiley

may God help you on this journey!

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 11:17:19 PM »

Thank you very much for your help. Smiley The only problem is that, my mother and father will not allow me to attend any other church besides the one I've been baptized in. I've tried reasoning with them, and they have forbidden it. So I can't attend Vespers and Divine Liturgy as I would want to. Also, should I wear head coverings when I pray? I tried that today, and it felt spiritually humbling. Just wondered if it is required. Smiley

From what I understand, it really depends on the parish you belong to.  I know the Greek Orthodox do not.  I am Antiochian and the priest at my church while not requiring it, suggest that they are worn.  I wear one but several of the women do not.  For me, it's a symbol of thanksgiving for the covering of my Church - I'm so thankful for it.  And as you said, humility is always a good thing. 

May I ask how you discovered Orthodoxy?  May I suggest to also pray for your parents during the next two years?  I don't push my husband or try to convince him of my faith, but the change in him in this last year has been much for the better. . who knows what will happen, but with God, it's all good. Smiley

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 11:17:57 PM »

My advice : pray on it! Have a decision to make? See if God is behind your decision. Pray, pray, pray...

Do this for every step since:

Unless the LORD builds the house,
         They labor in vain who build it;
         Unless the LORD guards the city,
         The watchman keeps awake in vain.

It is vain for you to rise up early,
         To retire late,
         To eat the bread of painful labors;
         For He gives to His beloved even in his sleep.

-Psalm 127:1-2

Pray to build the "house" of your conversion to Orthodoxy.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 11:21:11 PM by Rafa999 » Logged

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 12:08:06 AM »

A couple of links that might be useful for you.

Some prayers.

Daily scripture readings with a link to saints of the day.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 01:29:35 AM »

you can listen to
http://ancientfaith.com/

The founder used to be the manager of the Moody Bible Institute Radio. There is talk, and also liturgical music.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
authio
Elder

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 02:22:15 AM »

Hello. I am 16 and a half years old, and am thinking about converting after I turn 18 in 2012.
Welcome to OC.net!  I use the forum to cheer me up during down times.  We've got a good community here, some wisdom and plenty of humor!  I hope you enjoy your participation here.

TThe only problem is that, my mother and father will not allow me to attend any other church besides the one I've been baptized in. I've tried reasoning with them, and they have forbidden it. So I can't attend Vespers and Divine Liturgy as I would want to.
Honor your father and mother, and God will grant you to come close to Him.

Also, should I wear head coverings when I pray? I tried that today, and it felt spiritually humbling. Just wondered if it is required. Smiley
In parishes it is not required unless the priests asks you to.  In monasteries, it is required. 
I think it is very humbling, and reminds me to leave sexy at home.

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
ImperfectRose
Jacqueline

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 02:34:24 AM »

Thank you, everyone, for the help I am receiving. I thank you from the depths of my heart. Truly. Smiley I will look into those prayers and I will pray earnestly for God to show me the path He wants me to go down.

May I ask how you discovered Orthodoxy?

I discovered Orthodoxy accidentally. I was watching a movie, one called "Anastasia", and I read online that Royal Princess Anastasia and her family were part of the Russian Orthodox church. I decided to look into it, prayed on it for a while, and felt that God wanted to lead me to this church.

Now I just have to finish my journey into Orthodoxy and then I will resume on my journey through life with Christ. I'm more drawn to the RO church, to be honest, because of the headcoverings. That, and I have a very special love for Russia deep down in my heart. Thank you for asking. Smiley

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 02:43:09 AM »

you can listen to
http://ancientfaith.com/

Ancientfaith radio is a welcome and wonderful inspiration.  The lectures are great and not overly dry/scholarly and the music is just beautiful. If you haven't already, give it a listen.  

May the Lord bless you on your journey!!  And welcome to the forum!!  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 02:43:25 AM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 09:49:17 AM »

Thank you, everyone, for the help I am receiving. I thank you from the depths of my heart. Truly. Smiley I will look into those prayers and I will pray earnestly for God to show me the path He wants me to go down.

I discovered Orthodoxy accidentally. I was watching a movie, one called "Anastasia", and I read online that Royal Princess Anastasia and her family were part of the Russian Orthodox church. I decided to look into it, prayed on it for a while, and felt that God wanted to lead me to this church.

Now I just have to finish my journey into Orthodoxy and then I will resume on my journey through life with Christ. I'm more drawn to the RO church, to be honest, because of the headcoverings. That, and I have a very special love for Russia deep down in my heart. Thank you for asking. Smiley
do you mean Anastasia, as in Anastasia Romanov?  they are saints, "Passion-bearers" for the Orthodox faith.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 11:09:14 AM »

Another youngster! I guess I can't say much, as I'm only in my twenties! It's great to see the younger American population coming to Orthodoxy...it shows a virbrant future for Christ's Church in North America! Welcome to OC.net!

I'm sorry to hear that your parents have forbidden you to attend another church. May I ask what denomination you currently belong to? I have many friends whose parents took it especially hard as their children were converting away from their parents' faith. The turmoil you are most likely experiencing is not uncommon. You'll be in my prayers.

Even though you cannot attend another church, there are many things you can do, as have been noted here. Reading is one of the most important. Reading Scripture, the Fathers, etc. is very important. There are also a number of more modern books out there written about Orthodoxy, like primers to our faith. The most well-known, I believe, is the set of books written by Metropolitan Kallistos Ware, a bishop of the Greek Orthodox Church in the UK. His book, The Orthodox Church, is a great introduction to the history and theology of the Church (there's quite a bit of Russian history included!). The other is The Orthodox Way, which explores Orthodox spirituality. Both are wonderfully edifying reads.

If you are more technically-minded and want to get into a "nuts and bolts" understanding, I would refer you to two books written by Vladimir Lossky, a lay theologian of the Orthodox Church, who lived and died in the 20th century. His book Orthodox Theology: An Introduction is a good primer in theology, and his The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church is also good, though somewhat more in-depth. The books are quite similiar in scope, however, and cover the same material in a lot of places.

Another book that comes highly recommended is Archimandrite Meletios Webber's book Bread & Water, Wine & Oil: An Orthodox Christian Experience of God is a wonderful primer on Orthodox sacramental theology. Fr. Meletios is also on Ancient Faith Radio, referenced above. You can find a series of lectures of his on Ancient Faith here. He has also be interviewed a number of times on other shows.

Also, while you can't attend an Orthodox church yet, perhaps you could at least get to know some of the Orthodox Christians in the area. Developing a relationship with a priest is a wonderful start, as he is someone who can discern where you are spiritually and guide you, as well as instruct you about matters of Orthodox faith, and perhaps even help you to establish a prayer rule.

Again, welcome to OC.net!

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 03:26:50 PM »

Perhaps this time of private devotion will help you better understand your desire to enter Orthodoxy. Since there are plenty of resources out there for your perusal while you wait, perhaps you will be better able to understand what you are stepping into when you are first able to enter an Orthodox temple.

While they do not address every jot and tittle of Orthodox dogma, it might be good for you to become familiar with the services of the Church, as they address our major dogmas and are the primary forms of public worship.

Do you think your parents would mind you converting a corner of your room into a small icon station?

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
ImperfectRose
Jacqueline

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 03:31:10 PM »

I'm sorry to hear that your parents have forbidden you to attend another church. May I ask what denomination you currently belong to?

The church I currently attend, they think of themselves as non-denominational. Though, looking at their beliefs and worship practices, they tend to lean more towards Baptist. Then again, they used to be a Baptist church back in the 80's. It's not that I don't like my church or the people in it or disagree with their beliefs, I just find Orthodoxy to be more comforting to me spiritually. It's quite hard to explain but I just feel led to Orthodoxy.

sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 03:48:37 PM »

Dear ImperfectRose:

Welcome to Holy Orthodoxy! A world of beauty and grace awaits you.

Since your parents appear to be somewhat disapproving of this conversion, content yourself with patience: you're young, you have plenty of time, and there's much to learn. Above all, be obedient and kind to them, and do not argue with them. Allow yourself to develop quietly.

Everyone has made good suggestions (although I'd be pleasantly surprised if your folks allow you to have an icon). At this point, the covering of your head is a relatively inconsequential issue. Although St Paul recommends it, practice varies. We are not made better Christians by concentrating on the outer forms of worship but by concentrating on inner transformation (metanoia).

"The Orthodox Way" by Kallistos Ware is a concise general introduction to the fundamentals of Orthodoxy. "The Orthodox Study Bible" is a good introduction to Orthodox interpretation of the Bible, as well as the "Daily Reflections" over at the Fellowship of St James site. And Ancient Faith Radio is also a good source of information and inspiration; listen, if you can, to the "Our Life In Christ" podcasts.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 03:54:48 PM by sainthieu » Logged
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 05:25:57 PM »

The church I currently attend, they think of themselves as non-denominational. Though, looking at their beliefs and worship practices, they tend to lean more towards Baptist.

I see. In my experience, a Baptist background is difficult to come from, and know many people who have had a lot of trouble from Baptist parents concerning their conversion to Orthodoxy.

It's not that I don't like my church or the people in it or disagree with their beliefs, I just find Orthodoxy to be more comforting to me spiritually. It's quite hard to explain but I just feel led to Orthodoxy.

You don't have to dislike it or them. I think many Orthodox converts still have fond memories of people they came to know as Protestants, and keep them as friends when possible.

It is glad to hear that you find Orthodoxy spiritually comforting. That is an ease that does not always come quickly. However, if you are to be Orthodox, you will find yourself one day in disagreement with many of the beliefs of your current church, and all non-Orthodox churches. That is why we are Orthodox, and the others are not. That doesn't have to mean a disdain or hostility, although it does come with the territory, as the saying goes.

Because of this, It is good that you spend your time reading the books referenced here as "introductions" to Orthodoxy. They will help you in learning about the doctrines of the Church. It is also good, as was suggested earlier, to familiarize yourself with the services of the Church. This could get somewhat complicated due to the moveable parts (parts in the services that change from season-to-seaon, week-to-week, or even day-to-day). Don't concern yourself with all of that right now, of course. Find a copy of the Divine Liturgy and read it. Ignore the rubrics and instructions, just read the hymns. Do the same for Matins, Vespers, Compline, etc. These permanent parts of the services form the foundation of the liturgical life of the Church, and exound upon the major points of doctrine for the Church, which holds very strongly the ancient principle of lex orandi, lex credendi (Latin, "the law of worship is the law of faith." It is in Her worship that the church definitively and beautifully declares the Gospel of Christ.

A good place to start is Online Reader Service Horologion. It lists many different services and provides their permanent texts. I suggest you stick with the simplier ones (i.e., "Vespers", "Matins", "Compline", "Midnight Office", "Typica" and any of the "Hours"). Don't worry about an "akathist" or "canon". When the rubrics talk about inserting a "troparion", "sticherion" or "kontakion," just ignore it and keep reading. You don't need to know how the services are put together, just read the words and think on them...and feel free to ask questions!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 05:31:30 PM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 05:48:38 PM »

A good place to start is Online Reader Service Horologion. It lists many different services and provides their permanent texts. I suggest you stick with the simplier ones (i.e., "Vespers", "Matins", "Compline", "Midnight Office", "Typica" and any of the "Hours"). Don't worry about an "akathist" or "canon". When the rubrics talk about inserting a "troparion", "sticherion" or "kontakion," just ignore it and keep reading. You don't need to know how the services are put together, just read the words and think on them...and feel free to ask questions!
This site ( http://orthodox.seasidehosting.st/seaside/home ) is also useful.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 07:39:56 PM »

This site ( http://orthodox.seasidehosting.st/seaside/home ) is also useful.

I didn't know about that one! That...that's just...nifty! Grin

ImperfectRose
Jacqueline

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 07:55:21 PM »

Thank you for all the help. Smiley

But, sadly, my parents will not let me buy any icons or Orthodox books or anything like that. They are very strictly Southern Baptist types of people, meaning that they believe their faith is the only faith that anyone should believe in. Currently, in private during most of the night, I listen to Orthodox music and sermons on youtube. I also pray from five minutes to an hour with my head covered and ,really, that is about all they will let me do.

Agabus
Archon

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2011, 08:31:47 PM »

But, sadly, my parents will not let me buy any icons or Orthodox books or anything like that. They are very strictly Southern Baptist types of people, meaning that they believe their faith is the only faith that anyone should believe in. Currently, in private during most of the night, I listen to Orthodox music and sermons on youtube. I also pray from five minutes to an hour with my head covered and ,really, that is about all they will let me do.
When robbers broke into St. Seraphim of Sarov's hermitage, the only thing they found there was a lone icon of the Theotokos... So if such a pious person did not need all of the pious trappings to be Orthodox, then there is hope for those of us who -- for whatever reason -- don't have a lot of icons. I would never advise you to go against your parent's wishes, but would they object to an icon of Christ himself, even just a framed printout? You know the line to walk better than I do, and do not provoke your parents to anger.

If you are unable to buy books, you can always find some of the texts that were recommended to you on this site (http://www.holytrinitymission.org/index.php ) for free in a downloadable format. That said, I don't recommend that a neophyte read all of those texts, only the books listed under "Orthodoxy" in the textbook section.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 08:33:54 PM by Agabus » Logged

Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2011, 08:37:44 PM »

They are very strictly Southern Baptist types of people, meaning that they believe their faith is the only faith that anyone should believe in.

If that is true, then it seems pretty contradictory that they would attend a non-denominational church, as doctrinally those are completely unaccountable.

But if that is there attitude then it is a good one, as it shows they really believe what they believe and aren't all "whatever" about religious beliefs. It's better that they give you a hard time, because it shows they care. It also shows that they believe in absolutes, which believe it or not might mean that some day they could potentially actually become Orthodox. Be encouraged and be full of peace!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 08:39:56 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2011, 08:46:18 PM »

They are very strictly Southern Baptist types of people, meaning that they believe their faith is the only faith that anyone should believe in.

If that is true, then it seems pretty contradictory that they would attend a non-denominational church, as doctrinally those are completely unaccountable.
This is not necessarily true, at least here in the Deep South of the U.S. Many non-denominational churches in this area were started in the 1970s and 80s by people who wanted to break away from the denominatinoal stigma carried by the older, labeled churches. (I suppose the fact that I can even talk about "denominational stigma" speaks of my own Southern Baptist background.) The end result was that you got a lot of non-denominational churches that were doctrinally Southern Baptist (or whatever else) churches, but wanted to avoid wearing the labels of communities that had previously hurt or spiritually damaged their congregants.

But if that is there attitude then it is a good one, as it shows they really believe what they believe and aren't all "whatever" about religious beliefs. It's better that they give you a hard time, because it shows they care. It also shows that they believe in absolutes, which believe it or not might mean that some day they could potentially actually become Orthodox. Be encouraged and be full of peace!
I agree with this.

Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Most Holy Theotokos Save Us!

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2011, 10:12:08 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Hi Imperfect Rose! I can share some of your sentiment myself I'm 16 and was just recieved into the church last month. The best advice I can give you is to prayer daily you can find a wealth of Orthodox prayers online(Thats how I started) Read the Scriptures and perhapps establish a email correspondence with a local priest.

David

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2011, 10:31:36 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Hi Imperfect Rose! I can share some of your sentiment myself I'm 16 and was just recieved into the church last month. The best advice I can give you is to prayer daily you can find a wealth of Orthodox prayers online(Thats how I started) Read the Scriptures and perhapps establish a email correspondence with a local priest.

David

I'd just like to add that, if you can't find a local one, there are a wealth of clergy on OC.net who are always more than happy to help people, spiritually.

Raca

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2011, 12:10:06 PM »

http://orthodoxinfo.com/ is a great website for information and articles.
http://www.deathtotheworld.com/articles/index.html is also another good site
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 12:10:20 PM by Raca » Logged
ImperfectRose
Jacqueline

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2011, 07:27:28 PM »

Alright, that sounds helpful. Just one question -- does the priest have to be from a certain type of Orthodoxy I would like to convert to, say.. Greek, Russian, Serbian, Antiochian, Coptic, etc? Or just an Orthodox priest in general?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 07:27:49 PM by ImperfectRose » Logged

mmathewes

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2011, 07:53:54 PM »

I discovered Orthodoxy "accidentally" when I was about your age too. A friend of a friend heard I was interested in Catholicism and sent a copy of "The Orthodox Church" by Timothy Ware for me to read. I thought it was strange but fascinating at first. I ended being enrolled in the catechumenate when I was 19. My parents were not thrilled with my interests as a teen. They never could understand why I couldn't just be happy in their church. They still do not have my desire for the truth or understand it but they've ended up being very supportive none the less.

I married and have had 6 children now baptized in the Orthodox Church. My parents always come to my children's baptism.

oops, hit post too soon. Anyway, I will keep you in my prayers. I'd get a copy of an Orthodox prayer book, read the scriptures, read the lives of the Saints. And regarding headcovering, Orthodox women have always covered their heads till recently. Since I embrace the other traditions I choose to embrace this one too. It was important enough to be included in the scriptures even. But otherwise I just don't worry about what other people do.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 07:56:01 PM by mmathewes » Logged
mmathewes

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2011, 07:57:32 PM »

You can seek help and advice from any Orthodox priest right now regardless of jurisdiction.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2011, 08:03:51 PM »

Alright, that sounds helpful. Just one question -- does the priest have to be from a certain type of Orthodoxy I would like to convert to, say.. Greek, Russian, Serbian, Antiochian, Coptic, etc? Or just an Orthodox priest in general?

There are two Orthodox Communions: Eastern and Oriental. All mentioned by you but Coptic are Eastern Orthodox and in one Comunion you can switch Churches if you want to but it is not recommended to switch between different Communions (eg. if you were Russian Orthodox you can fully attend a Greek/Romanian/Serbian/Antiochian/Serbian but you can't fully attend a Coptic/Armenian/Ethiopian/Syrian/Indian one.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
SubdeaconDavid
"...the spread of the light of Orthodoxy among the peoples of all the lands where our Church exists continues as an inseparable part of our mission": Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of ROCOR
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church Abroad (ROCOR)

Помилуй мя Боже, по велицей милости Твоей

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2011, 08:12:39 PM »

When I was 17 myself I was received into the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, and like you I was drawn by the beauty of Russian worship.  To this day Russian liturgical worship is like experiencing heaven.  Of course the same is there in the Greek or other Orthodox Churches - and it is in the English language parishes and worship as well. 

Like you the Russian Imperial Martyrs exercised an important role in drawing me to the Church.  Their martyrdom and suffering and example of fidelity is one of the holiest feats of the 20th century.  There are so many American born priests in all Orthodox churches now.  Find one to talk to, try and read and pray as much as you can.  Head coverings are a beautiful symbol of servanthood before God but they are not everything.  I do however appreciate that many in the Russian tradition continue to cover their hair, just as our priests have beards etc.

God is seeking your heart and soul and your mind to appreciate the absolute truth of Orthodoxy.  Wherever you end up - Russian or Greek, Eastern or Western, may God bring you home to Orthodoxy.  The Eastern Orthodox churches are full of thousands of souls who have stood where you stand, contemplated and prayed as you do and made the journey to their eternal home in Orthodoxy.  May the Lord guide and protect you as you walk this journey in Christ.

Visit my blog@  http://orthodoxtasmania.blogspot.com

To the Russians abroad it has been granted to shine in the whole world  the light of Orthodoxy, so that other peoples, seeing their good deeds, might glorify our Father in Heaven, and thus obtain salvation
S John of Shanghai & San Francisco
ImperfectRose
Jacqueline

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2011, 10:59:14 PM »

Okay, thank you. Smiley I'll contact a priest as soon as I can.

Well today, with my mother, I had a slight breakthrough. She allowed me to order an Orthodox study Bible. That's a small step. Smiley

William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Time-wasting self-embarrassing anti-Christian hater

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2011, 11:09:33 PM »

I'm in a very similar position; 16 and my parents won't let me convert. The most you could do, I suppose, is read Orthodox stuff that's online. I'll pray for you.  Smiley

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
ImperfectRose
Jacqueline

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2011, 01:15:28 AM »

I'm in a very similar position; 16 and my parents won't let me convert. The most you could do, I suppose, is read Orthodox stuff that's online. I'll pray for you.  Smiley

And I'll pray for you as well. Smiley

Lord, have mercy.

Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2011, 10:06:50 AM »

Well today, with my mother, I had a slight breakthrough. She allowed me to order an Orthodox study Bible. That's a small step. Smiley

That's great news. The OSB has the fullest canon accepted by all of the Eastern Orthodox Churches (there are more OT books. The NT is the same). Wonderful footnotes and articles, as well as a lectionary and morning/evening prayers. Not to mention the beautiful, full-color icons!

Some people don't like it (I think mostly because of the Bible translations used), but I think it's a wonderful resource to have!

SubdeaconDavid
"...the spread of the light of Orthodoxy among the peoples of all the lands where our Church exists continues as an inseparable part of our mission": Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of ROCOR
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church Abroad (ROCOR)

Помилуй мя Боже, по велицей милости Твоей

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2011, 03:53:56 PM »

That is a great step.  There are so many good resources.  Here are some:

1.  The Russian Orthodox prayer book:  http://www.myriobiblos.gr/texts/english/prayerbook/main.htm
2.  Reader services horologion - all you need to pray services without a priest: [urhttp://pages.prodigy.net/frjohnwhiteford/horologion.html][/url]
3.  Orthodox Christian Information Centre - a zillion wonderful articles on Orthodox life - http://orthodoxinfo.com/default.aspx
4.  Official website of the Russian orthodox Church Outside of Russia - with parish directory - http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/synod/indexeng.htm

I hope these help! Smiley

Visit my blog@  http://orthodoxtasmania.blogspot.com

To the Russians abroad it has been granted to shine in the whole world  the light of Orthodoxy, so that other peoples, seeing their good deeds, might glorify our Father in Heaven, and thus obtain salvation
S John of Shanghai & San Francisco
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2011, 01:00:46 AM »

I'm in a similar position. My parents have become more accustomed to my eventual conversion, allowing me to own some Orthodox books and even keep some fasts, but I'm still required to attend the Baptist church my father pastors. This can be frustrating, like when we have missionaries discuss their success among Ethiopians they "freed from the bonds of a legalistic religion," but through such experiences I learn patience and discernment. I pray that we all may continue to grow in these virtues. On a sidenote, here is the blog of a local priest I email occasionally. The posts are all easily digestible but full of wonderful nutrients. You've been directed to a lot of great resources on this thread, but you ought to check this one out eventually.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2011, 01:59:46 AM »

Wow. All these teenagers wanting to come to Holy Orthodoxy gives me great hope for our Church's future. There is work to be done!

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2011, 02:53:15 AM »

Wonderful post, That Person.  I'm glad to read that you have such perspective on your situation.

Additionally, thanks for the blog address; I'll read it myself and share it with an inquirer who is also from that area.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2011, 11:07:22 AM »

I'm in a similar position. My parents have become more accustomed to my eventual conversion, allowing me to own some Orthodox books and even keep some fasts, but I'm still required to attend the Baptist church my father pastors. This can be frustrating, like when we have missionaries discuss their success among Ethiopians they "freed from the bonds of a legalistic religion," but through such experiences I learn patience and discernment. I pray that we all may continue to grow in these virtues. On a sidenote, here is the blog of a local priest I email occasionally. The posts are all easily digestible but full of wonderful nutrients. You've been directed to a lot of great resources on this thread, but you ought to check this one out eventually.
before God worked a small miracle with my mother, I was also in a position like this.  I know this is very hard for you (us), but this is how you take up your cross and follow Christ.   Smiley

also, a wonderful thing is that you can keep a prayer rule and you don't even have to have a physical prayer book!  there are many prayer-books that you can view online, such as this:

http://www.myriobiblos.gr/texts/english/prayerbook/main.htm

« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 11:10:11 AM by trevor72694 » Logged

ImperfectRose
Jacqueline

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2011, 06:46:54 PM »

before God worked a small miracle with my mother, I was also in a position like this.  I know this is very hard for you (us), but this is how you take up your cross and follow Christ.   Smiley

also, a wonderful thing is that you can keep a prayer rule and you don't even have to have a physical prayer book!  there are many prayer-books that you can view online, such as this:

Thank you for the link, this is exactly what I needed! I've been having some trouble with prayer lately, and I know this will help so much.

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2011, 07:08:12 PM »

It warms my soul to see these teenagers seeking and practicing the Orthodox faith Smiley
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 07:08:49 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2011, 07:45:17 PM »

One thing I can suggest coming from Baptist upbringing, is don't talk too much about it. Allow Christ to lead your heart. A private devotion to God can build a stron foundation, on which He can build more.

And as for prayers, since you're already doing this, try to find a copy online, of Morning and Evening prayers which we use in the church as our beginning and end of day. This has been my biggest struggle (wish I had started earlier) because of the free-form prayer we are accustomed to in the Baptist church.

Not that its wrong to freely pray without reading, but reading can help to keep on track when our hearts and minds become lost.

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2011, 08:33:29 PM »

After reccommending to you to look up the prayer book online, I found a nice Jordanville site with the one which is very common to use.

here's the link...

hope this helps!

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: