OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 06:22:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Teenager aspiring to become Orthodox  (Read 5134 times) Average Rating: 0
ImperfectRose
Jacqueline

Faith: Inquirer to Orthodoxy

O Holy Saint Grand Duchess Elizabeth, pray for us!

« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2011, 08:19:20 PM »

Thank you for the link, simplygermain.

I still have not gotten any better at praying. I currently say the Jesus Prayer throughout the day and while I'm trying to sleep. Occasionally I will take out my headscarf, put it on, and do some prostrations and pre-written prayers when I remember to. I'm trying to do better.

Please pray for me, so that I may pray for you as well.

Psalm 57:2 "I will cry out to God Most High, To God who performs all things for me."
Psalm 62:1 "Truly my soul silently waits for God; From Him comes my salvation."
Psalm 59:9 "I will wait for You, O You his Strength; For God is my defense."
John 11:35 "Jesus wept."
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2011, 08:27:02 PM »

I still have not gotten any better at praying. I currently say the Jesus Prayer throughout the day and while I'm trying to sleep. Occasionally I will take out my headscarf, put it on, and do some prostrations and pre-written prayers when I remember to. I'm trying to do better.

Consider it done and Thank you for your prayers. My name is Germanus+ Smiley
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 08:27:34 PM by simplygermain » Logged

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
ImperfectRose
Jacqueline

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2011, 09:27:48 PM »

Consider it done and Thank you for your prayers. My name is Germanus+ Smiley

You are very welcome. Smiley My name is Jacqueline.

Psalm 57:2 "I will cry out to God Most High, To God who performs all things for me."
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2011, 10:19:19 PM »

You may know this, not sure, but there is a difference between Protestant and Orthodox prayer.

Widely throughout Protestant denominations, you'll notice a desire to know God, but their answer to know God is through knowledge. The concept that you must first know God upstairs (in the brain) before you can know him in the heart, is not traditional Orthodox. While knowledge helps us focus a relationship, first you must create an nurture the relationship with God. That is, feel Jesus in your heart. Prayer is foremost experiential. Don't just say or read words, open yourself through them. "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God! Have mercy on me... a sinner." Feel the peace of God, as you accept Him into your heart. And let that peace change you to His will, and fill you with His love.

There are many good books available, if your interested in this form of prayer.

I'm going to need this.
ImperfectRose
Jacqueline

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2011, 10:44:20 PM »

You may know this, not sure, but there is a difference between Protestant and Orthodox prayer.

Widely throughout Protestant denominations, you'll notice a desire to know God, but their answer to know God is through knowledge. The concept that you must first know God upstairs (in the brain) before you can know him in the heart, is not traditional Orthodox. While knowledge helps us focus a relationship, first you must create an nurture the relationship with God. That is, feel Jesus in your heart. Prayer is foremost experiential. Don't just say or read words, open yourself through them. "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God! Have mercy on me... a sinner." Feel the peace of God, as you accept Him into your heart. And let that peace change you to His will, and fill you with His love.

There are many good books available, if your interested in this form of prayer.

Yes, actually, I did know that. Tongue

I realized that quite a bit ago. Protestants think that by pretty much googling God, they think that they automatically will "know" God, when you actually get to know God through daily prayer, reading the Holy Scriptures, and patience. I try to say my prayers with deep meaning, and I say them slowly, so that I actually know what I'm saying and mean it too. It's quite difficult because, being a teenager, I don't have much patience but I'm working on it.

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2011, 11:25:33 PM »

Oh! Well... Good!  Grin  Carry on.

And for you spiritual path: Lord, have mercy.  Smiley

I'm going to need this.
ImperfectRose
Jacqueline

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2011, 12:27:13 AM »

Oh! Well... Good!  Grin  Carry on.

And for you spiritual path: Lord, have mercy.  Smiley

Haha. Grin Thank you.

Lord, have mercy on you, as well. Smiley

simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2011, 12:10:12 PM »

While Azurestone's suggestions are a nice sentiment, praying is more than getting a feeling, and I believe it should so be clarified. So, yes, absorbing the prayer consciously, saying each word with meaning and depth is a good place to begin. Though it is not the substance of prayer.

Many of the Holy Fathers have taught that prayer of the heart is a watchful state. Be aware of your thoughts and do not get wrapped up in the "feelings" of it. In facet, it is best to be mindful of emotions which arise, keeping them in check.

You are heading down the narrow path, my sister. The enemy will fight against you at every turn. Be mindful of who you speak to and what you say. Much more will be added to you at your baptism and chrismation, and then again each time you partake of the Mystery of Communion. In the meantime, May God Bless You and Keep you always.

In Christ - SG+

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2011, 12:46:09 PM »

While Azurestone's suggestions are a nice sentiment, praying is more than getting a feeling, and I believe it should so be clarified. So, yes, absorbing the prayer consciously, saying each word with meaning and depth is a good place to begin. Though it is not the substance of prayer.

Many of the Holy Fathers have taught that prayer of the heart is a watchful state. Be aware of your thoughts and do not get wrapped up in the "feelings" of it. In facet, it is best to be mindful of emotions which arise, keeping them in check.

You are heading down the narrow path, my sister. The enemy will fight against you at every turn. Be mindful of who you speak to and what you say. Much more will be added to you at your baptism and chrismation, and then again each time you partake of the Mystery of Communion. In the meantime, May God Bless You and Keep you always.

In Christ - SG+

You're misrepresenting my words. I'm not talking about emotion, nor am I saying it is the only purpose of prayer.

Prayer is experiential, and not merely an intellectual exercise. Pure intellect leaves God out of the picture. It is important to remember that prayer is a relationship with God, not a picture in your mind of who you think God is. This is manifestation is often described as peace. This is not the same as emotion or elation. It is literally feeling God's peace while you pray.

Also, prayer is still a conversation, not a pure meditation. So it is not purely intellectual, nor is it pure mindlessness (emotion). It is fostering a relationship with God by opening up to Him.

I'm going to need this.
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2011, 12:57:12 PM »

In Christ - SG+

You're misrepresenting my words. I'm not talking about emotion, nor am I saying it is the only purpose of prayer.

Prayer is experiential, and not merely an intellectual exercise. Pure intellect leaves God out of the picture. It is important to remember that prayer is a relationship with God, not a picture in your mind of who you think God is. This is manifestation is often described as peace. This is not the same as emotion or elation. It is literally feeling God's peace while you pray.

Also, prayer is still a conversation, not a pure meditation. So it is not purely intellectual, nor is it pure mindlessness (emotion). It is fostering a relationship with God by opening up to Him.
Azurestone, I didn't misrepresent your words. I agree with what you said. Rather,  I was clarifying for the Newby. Please forgive, if I came across otherwise. Talking about prayer is beyond me, as it is so close to me. It is easier to say little than to say too much. I shall leave well enough alone. Thank you for your clarification as well. Smiley

In Christ - SG+
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 12:58:19 PM by simplygermain » Logged

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2011, 01:03:25 PM »

In Christ - SG+

Azurestone, I didn't misrepresent your words. I agree with what you said. Rather,  I was clarifying for the Newby. Please forgive, if I came across otherwise. Talking about prayer is beyond me, as it is so close to me. It is easier to say little than to say too much. I shall leave well enough alone. Thank you for your clarification as well. Smiley

In Christ - SG+

Oh, sorry. I thought you were under the impression I was advocating charismatic or 'burning bosom' prayer. Which is certainly not my intention.

Sorry, for the antagonism...  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 01:04:12 PM by Azurestone » Logged

I'm going to need this.
ImperfectRose
Jacqueline

« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2011, 05:41:52 AM »

Would anyone be so kind as to post more links to online Orthodox prayers that I could use?

I'm making a prayerbook out of this pretty notebook my mom's friend gave me for my birthday, and I'm trying to fill it up with prayers so that I can keep it at my bedside and pray without having to get online. Thank you. Smiley

Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2011, 03:03:34 PM »

Sure:

As found in the Jordanville Prayer Book:

Morning Prayers
Evening Prayers

From the Antichoian Orthodox Archdiocese:

Morning Prayers
Midday Prayers
Evening Prayers
Occasional Prayers

The Jordanville Rule is fairly long, and so I don't recommend beginning with it in-full, although I find many of the prayers in it very beautiful. The Antiochian prayers are shorter, and also very beautiful.

The "Occasional prayers" include prayers for a number of occurrances, and I love using them throughout the day. They come in a small pocket-sized red book, with the morning, midday and evening prayers. I'll see if I can find a link to order that. It's very cheap and easily concealed! Grin
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 03:07:16 PM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2011, 03:54:09 PM »

Anastasia Romanov? 

It should be Anastasia Romanova! (and even Sarah Palina)
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2011, 04:06:52 PM »

Anastasia Romanov?

It should be Anastasia Romanova! (and even Sarah Palina)

St. Anastasia.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ImperfectRose
Jacqueline

« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2011, 09:33:40 PM »

Thank you for the links, Benjamin The Red. These will really come in handy. Smiley

mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2011, 08:43:11 PM »

hi!
guys, you who are interested in orthodoxy were quoted here in this post:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,39152.new.html#new
which got me wondering how you all are.
how are your spiritual lives? may God give you all much grace and patience and may the prayers of the Holy mother of God saint mary and all the saints be with you.

i also had many obstacles on my way to becoming orhtodox, but it is through these struggles that we can grow spiritually.
God bless you
 Smiley
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2012, 11:08:54 AM »

ImperfectRose, its been a while since you posted and I was wondering how your path has progressed. Did you finish your prayer book? Did your parents budge on allowing you to attend a service?
Let us know how its going.

-SG+

BTW...Hi, Mabsoota!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 11:14:01 AM by simplygermain » Logged

Ersaia
Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2013, 03:58:53 PM »

I register here because of all these teenagers...

It's like a shock for me (as greek-orthodox-all-my-life) to see teenagers who search alone and found orthodoxy, teenagers want to convert alone without any family or friend person talk to them about orthodoxy.

Teenagers who search orthodox churches near them and with "near" they mean a church 60 miles away. I have church in 60 meters, I can go there in 30 seconds.... well, to be honest I have 3 big churches around a mile.

Every summer I can see mountain Athos if the sky is clean. Greece is like a garden for Orthodoxy but here I can't see teenagers like all of you.

I feel very deep respect for you...
you found the road and it was not easy
welcome....
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2013, 04:06:23 PM »

I thought you were going to say something nasty about us when I read that sentence. But welcome to the forum  Wink
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 04:06:39 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a temporary/semi-permanent/permanent vacation from OC.net.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2013, 04:11:27 PM »

It's like a shock for me (as greek-orthodox-all-my-life) to see teenagers who search alone and found orthodoxy, teenagers want to convert alone without any family or friend person talk to them about orthodoxy.

Teenagers who search orthodox churches near them and with "near" they mean a church 60 miles away. I have church in 60 meters, I can go there in 30 seconds.... well, to be honest I have 3 big churches around a mile.

Every summer I can see mountain Athos if the sky is clean. Greece is like a garden for Orthodoxy but here I can't see teenagers like all of you.

welcome....

Thank you  Smiley

And welcome to the forum.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2013, 05:12:22 PM »

welcome....

That's so kind, thank you!!!   Smiley

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2013, 05:20:14 PM »

welcome....

That's so kind, thank you!!!   Smiley

Can you stop changing your beliefs more frequently than I change my underwear?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 05:22:07 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2013, 05:23:01 PM »

I can't say we're a bunch to be proud of. There are godly adolescents out there I'm sure, but those of us on this site who don't switch over to Anglicanism or atheism on a weekly basis don't really practice Orthodoxy for reals anyways.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2013, 05:26:42 PM »

Agnosticism thank you very much. And I did go to an Anglican Ash Wednesday service. Hmmm...

Regardless, Aresia gave me something to think about.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 05:27:26 PM by That person » Logged

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2013, 05:36:26 PM »

I can't say we're a bunch to be proud of.

Probably this. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. But let's not be too pessimistic.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 05:41:23 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a temporary/semi-permanent/permanent vacation from OC.net.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2013, 07:12:00 PM »

welcome....

That's so kind, thank you!!!   Smiley

I've only been Orthodox, non-Orthodox (Anglican), then Orthodox again.  I should hope you've changed your underwear more than three times in the last year. Wink

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2013, 11:49:10 AM »

welcome....

I've only been Orthodox, non-Orthodox (Anglican), then Orthodox again.  I should hope you've changed your underwear more than three times in the last year. Wink

I remember: some kind of Protestant => Orthodox => Orthodox Catholicphile => Orthodox => Anglican => Orthodox => Orthodox and Anglican => Orthodox (despite having Anglican priest in the avatar)

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2013, 11:53:44 AM »

I find it encouraging that teenagers are looking at Orthodoxy seriously. Some may not stay - but at least they've given it a chance and just may come back when they find that other faiths are lacking the fullness of Orthodoxy. In any case, it's up to the more mature Orthodox to take these younger ones under our wing and guide them along as best we can.
Ersaia
Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2013, 12:32:03 PM »

I find it encouraging that teenagers are looking at Orthodoxy seriously. Some may not stay - but at least they've given it a chance and just may come back when they find that other faiths are lacking the fullness of Orthodoxy. In any case, it's up to the more mature Orthodox to take these younger ones under our wing and guide them along as best we can.

Exactly!
the last years I have seen more teenagers around the world flirt with paganism so it's encouraging to see those teenagers search about orthodoxy.
When they mature they will have orthodoxy in their minds and they will compare other religions. It's good anyway
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2013, 04:47:33 PM »

welcome....

I remember: some kind of Protestant => Orthodox => Orthodox Catholicphile => Orthodox => Anglican => Orthodox => Orthodox and Anglican => Orthodox (despite having Anglican priest in the avatar)
I've been a Christian all this time, it's just my Church that has changed. Smiley

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2013, 05:03:59 PM »

i see u have in yr avatar the actress dawn french playing the 'vicar of dibley'.
did u watch the series?
it was on several years ago just before i got bored of the tv and got rid it permanently.

i thought it was funny but not based on real english village life.
that was, until i lived in a real english village (several years ago) and went to the real english anglican village church and attended the real english village anglican church parish council meeting.

it was just like in the tv show, about 7 people present, and only one standing for re-election as care-taker of the church, and even then one of the other members abstained from voting him in!
i could barely restrain myself from saying to this person 'you do realise you are just being difficult, why don't you support him? no-one else is offering to do the job, so you could just be nice and cheer him on!'
but i wasn't a council member, and was only allowed to stay in the meeting (following the general meeting of all members) on the basis that i wouldn't speak, so i had to shut up.
(if u knew me, u would also allow me in on a non-speaking basis only!)

people in towns are much friendlier.
maybe it's the greater proportion of teenagers that helps!
 Wink
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2013, 05:06:02 PM »

i see u have in yr avatar the actress dawn french playing the 'vicar of dibley'.
did u watch the series?
Yes, I LOVE that show!!!  Smiley

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2013, 05:15:45 PM »

do u have people like that in north america?
i imagine there are in small country towns.

i did know a real life anglican lady vicar though, she wasn't like that at all (from a slightly bigger town!)
she was really kind and prayed with me a few times when i was having a rough time at work.
she moved away (and then i did) at about the same time i was becoming orthodox.
i was (even more) ignorant in those days, so i hope i didn't scare her away from orthodoxy!
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2013, 05:22:52 PM »

do u have people like that in north america?
i imagine there are in small country towns.

i did know a real life anglican lady vicar though, she wasn't like that at all (from a slightly bigger town!)
she was really kind and prayed with me a few times when i was having a rough time at work.
she moved away (and then i did) at about the same time i was becoming orthodox.
i was (even more) ignorant in those days, so i hope i didn't scare her away from orthodoxy!
We do, especially in the small Churches (like my Orthodox Church.)  I've met two female priests in the Anglican Church I went to, and they were great, thugh not like the Vicar of Dibley!

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: