OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 06:52:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A non-judgemental calendar question  (Read 458 times) Average Rating: 0
Eugenio
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I love them all

« on: January 04, 2011, 11:40:46 PM »

Not sure where I ought to put this, but here goes:

Right now, the "Old Calendar" and "New Calendar" churches are on a different timeframe. Christmas & Theophany are celebrated on different days of the year.

But at some point, we go into Great Lent and then celebrate Pascha on the same day. So without knowing more, am I assuming right that there are dates upon which the Old & New calendar churches "divide" & "reunite"?

On what dates of the calendar do the "Old" & "New" calendars "converge" and "separate"? How does this work?
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 11:45:32 PM »

^ The "Old" and "New" Calendars are always different; but the Paschalion (the calculation of Pascha, and the related days) is always the same.  So there is no magic date when the align and then another when they go out of synch. 

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 11:45:38 PM »

Just on Pascha and all dates related to Pascha. Even when those days are the same, most of the saints commemorated are on different days. However, since the readings for the year are based on Pascha, usually the readings are the same for Old and New Calendar.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 11:50:15 PM »

It's fairly simple. The Paschalion has remained the same in the churches using the Revised Julian calendar. All commemorations dependent on Pascha for the determination of their date have remained the same. All other commemorations have shifted the 13 days.

Some churches, however, have adopted the new Paschalion, including the Finnish church, the East Syrian church, most Armenian churches, and most Malankarese churches.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: