OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 02:41:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Judgment Day: Will May 21, 2011 Be The End Of The World?"  (Read 4285 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: January 04, 2011, 08:19:40 AM »

According to a small Christian movement, yes, it will.

The movement, led by Harold Camping who runs the evangelical station Family Radio, is predicting that mid-May of this year will bring about Judgment Day--the time when, according to some, the earth will be destroyed due to mankind's sins and all Christian believers will ascend to heaven.

(More on TIME.com: Cinematic Vision of the Apocalypse)

Apparently Camping believes this will occur on May 21st because of a mathematical system he created to interpret prophecies hidden in the Bible.

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/01/03/judgement-day-will-may-21-2011-be-the-end-of-the-world/#ixzz1A4M3nqvJ

I'm Rapture Ready!

Post modified to enforce current policy regarding full-length articles. -PtA

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13455.msg456852.html#msg456852
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 01:59:14 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 09:37:22 AM »

He predicts the end of the world every few years, and then always has to revise it and claim that's not what he meant.  Roll Eyes His radio show is some of the best unintentional comedy you'll hear on the air.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 10:34:38 AM »

On the feast of Sts. Constantine and Helen. How apt.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
David 2007

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 12:17:19 PM »

But that's when the Star Wars MMORPG computer game comes out!

Awwwww not fair!

Maybe God can delay it, till we get a few months of game time in?
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 04:00:44 PM »

Is this prediction based on the Julian Calendar or Gregorian? Grin

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 04:55:30 PM »

Bags are packed, I'm going to see grandma!  Cool
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 05:09:19 PM »

Meh, History Channel says Dec. 21, 2012.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 05:11:43 PM »

Meh, History Channel says Dec. 21, 2012.

I think they should rename the 'History' channel to the "Conspiracy Theory and UFO" channel. Seriously, I don't think i've seen one good piece of history on there in as long as I can remember...
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 05:13:23 PM »

But that's when the Star Wars MMORPG computer game comes out!

Awwwww not fair!

Maybe God can delay it, till we get a few months of game time in?

Ha! Dragon Age 2 comes out in March, so I'll get a full 2 1/2 months with it before the end!  angel

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 05:14:17 PM »

If you're a conspiracy theorist, these are good times. Leading up to the end of 2012, when the mother of all world endings is scheduled (until the next one), plenty of things would be expected to happen that sets it all in motion and counts as ominous portends, in that 'no-snowflake-in-an-avalanche-takes-the-blame' sort of way.

And one just did.   In Arkansas, thousands of blackbirds fell dead from the sky over the town of Beebe.

Birds were ancient omens.    An autopsy on a few showed they didn't die of starvation but rather blunt force.    What's large enough to knock thousands of birds out of the sky?  A big ol' alien spaceship?   Violent weather is the more likely answer.   A violent updraft that caught up sleeping birds and disoriented them likely have caused them to literally fly into the ground trying to escape it.   A wooded area in the town has been used a roost, home to several hundred thousand birds for years.

So, sorry, conspiracy folks, it seems that there is a good explanation.   Now if a bunch of fish had also died in Arkansas, that would be different.

Oh, wait...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 05:15:54 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
David Young
OC.net guru

Faith: Baptist
Jurisdiction: local church, Wrexham, Wales

2012, Presbyterian chapel, Nantyr

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 06:42:22 AM »

Harold Camping ... is predicting that mid-May of this year will bring about Judgment Day... Apparently Camping believes this will occur on May 21st

Clearly not a good sola-scriptura man, for it is written that no man knows the day or the hour.
 Wink
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 06:42:43 AM by David Young » Logged

"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 01:56:04 PM »

Harold Camping ... is predicting that mid-May of this year will bring about Judgment Day... Apparently Camping believes this will occur on May 21st

Clearly not a good sola-scriptura man, for it is written that no man knows the day or the hour.
 Wink
So could we call him "sorta-scriptura"  Grin?
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 02:09:15 PM »

There's a guy driving a white van around my town with this message printed all over it.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 02:20:40 PM »

There is a guy who has about 10 children who drive around in a beat up old white van that states "God kills!" with tons of Scriptures showing when God kills and hates people.  Lovely.

There's a guy driving a white van around my town with this message printed all over it.

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 02:30:13 PM »

There is a guy who has about 10 children who drive around in a beat up old white van that states "God kills!" with tons of Scriptures showing when God kills and hates people.  Lovely.

If I had that many children I'd go insane, so I can't really judge the guy...  Wink

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 05:19:44 PM »

If HE would come back April 14th, we won't have to worry about taxes. angel
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 11:36:36 PM »

I heard something about how Income Tax Day will be April 18 this year. The good news is you get three more days to file. The bad news is you get three more days to procrastinate.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 11:37:11 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 12:44:38 AM »

I heard something about how Income Tax Day will be April 18 this year. The good news is you get three more days to file. The bad news is you get three more days to procrastinate. 
  I think I will wait and procrastinate tomorrow. Tongue
wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 10:45:34 PM »

Bump

Everyone got their bags packed? Cheesy
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2011, 10:54:53 PM »

One of the radio stations of the group that supports this, is not far from where I live. I've seen people around here waving signs for this group. Part of me wants to laugh, but part of me feels sorry that they will be so disappointed when nothing happens on Saturday. Seriously, some of them may get very depressed, and who knows what'll happen after that. I pray for them.  Embarrassed
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2011, 11:04:27 PM »

One of the radio stations of the group that supports this, is not far from where I live. I've seen people around here waving signs for this group. Part of me wants to laugh, but part of me feels sorry that they will be so disappointed when nothing happens on Saturday. Seriously, some of them may get very depressed, and who knows what'll happen after that. I pray for them.  Embarrassed

I agree with your sentiments.  Cults are very dangerous and have wrecked countless peoples lives.  We on the outside can look and laugh at such buffoonery and take it for what it really is.  However those who are wrapped up with such nonsense are either clearly extremely naive or brainwashed.  When the appointed day and hour arrives and the world fails to end, this is going to cause some major consternation in these poor duped minds and who knows where and what that could lead to?  I am also sad to hear about the man who preaches the message of "God hates".  From personal experience, I know what such a message is capable of causing in some peoples minds and, believe me its not pretty!

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2011, 11:05:25 PM »

No, I'm sorry, but May 21st is simply not convenient for me... I am going on vacation to the beach at the beginning of June, and I really don't want to miss it as this will be my first vacation in like 20 years (when I was a young teenager). Could we possibly move this to after July 4?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 11:07:13 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2011, 11:22:15 PM »

No, I'm sorry, but May 21st is simply not convenient for me... I am going on vacation to the beach at the beginning of June, and I really don't want to miss it as this will be my first vacation in like 20 years (when I was a young teenager). Could we possibly move this to after July 4?

You're golden. They are on the old calendar.

EDIT: Joke foiled by not reading your post. Thought you were going on vacation on the 21st.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 11:23:48 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Alcuin

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2011, 04:01:03 PM »

Eschatology is not my forte, but as I understand it, the rapture is pretty much a 19th century Protestant innovation with no roots in the Catholic-Orthodox tradition.
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2011, 04:13:08 PM »

Here's how much time we have left

So, do I still have to pay my electric bill this month Huh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9FGrFKkPnM
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 04:15:56 PM by Tallitot » Logged

Proverbs 22:7
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2011, 04:17:16 PM »

The most helpful thing is that they specified a time: 6PM in your local time zone.

So, I guess it's going to be a rolling Judgment Day, a 24-hour affair. Thankfully, being in the US, I'll have some 18 hours' warning that it's coming. I figure that's plenty of time to repent of my idol worship and such Tongue
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 04:19:04 PM by bogdan » Logged
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2011, 06:04:42 PM »

The real shame in all this is that while most normal Christians don't hold to the Rapture theory, they will non the less all be lumped in together with these fruitcakes by the secular media.  After the big event fails to show up, the unbelieving world will have a good laugh at Christianity's expense all because a small sect promoted these crazy ideas.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 06:05:00 PM by Robb » Logged

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2011, 06:24:16 PM »

The most helpful thing is that they specified a time: 6PM in your local time zone.

So, I guess it's going to be a rolling Judgment Day, a 24-hour affair. Thankfully, being in the US, I'll have some 18 hours' warning that it's coming. I figure that's plenty of time to repent of my idol worship and such Tongue

It will happen 24 times thoughout the course of the day. Maybe we can watch it on the news, kind of like "santa watch" on Christmas. The media companies will have to be careful who they schedule to work saturday.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2011, 07:10:45 PM »

What if you have a cold and sleep most of the day?  Shocked
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2011, 07:13:43 PM »

Something will happen on 21 May. I guarantee you that.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2011, 07:30:59 PM »

Yeah, a whole bunch of people realizing that they only have ten days to pay their bills, hopefully they didn't spend the money or booze or such.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2011, 10:05:00 PM »

It will happen 24 times thoughout the course of the day. Maybe we can watch it on the news, kind of like "santa watch" on Christmas. The media companies will have to be careful who they schedule to work saturday.

I think that's an excellent idea. Fr Ambrose, being at GMT+12, will have to let us know if anything does indeed happen. (Since he's an idol worshipper, he won't be raptured, of course.)
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2011, 11:17:55 AM »

Post rapture looting is a bit harsh, perhaps we could view it as taking care of things while the rightful owners are.....floating around somewhere?

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=121968371215699
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2011, 11:41:50 AM »

Wink
So could we call him "sorta-scriptura"  Grin?

Hahahaha. Golden. What a great joke to start the day with.
This dude's billboards and bench ads are all over Colorado. And so many people have asked me what I think of it. Like because it's on a billboard it must have some cred psshhhh.

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2011, 04:22:35 PM »

Y'all still here?

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2011, 08:51:46 PM »

(waves)

Yeah!  Wink
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2011, 09:01:23 PM »

I think that's an excellent idea. Fr Ambrose, being at GMT+12, will have to let us know if anything does indeed happen. (Since he's an idol worshipper, he won't be raptured, of course.)

I find it encouraging that that link is disabled by my work's net filter. Stated reason: racism and hatred.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Alcuin

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2011, 01:17:15 PM »

I guess Randy Savage is the only one that got raptured.
Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2011, 11:47:54 PM »

It happened. It's just that the elect actually turned out to be so small that no one noticed. Tongue
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2011, 12:08:54 AM »

It happened. It's just that the elect actually turned out to be so small that no one noticed. Tongue
I read that there was a slight miscalculation and that the correct date is October 21 of this year.
Mivac

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2011, 11:11:40 AM »

Welcome to EndTimes and Associates  Shocked

The Rapture is Coming October 2011. But DO NOT SELL ANY OF YOUR EARTHLY POSSESSIONS UNTIL YOU TALK TO US.

EndTimes and Associates specializes in serving True Believers in Estate and Asset Disposal before the Coming Rapture on October 21, 2011. We serve True Believers Worldwide.

http://endtimesandassociates.yolasite.com/
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2011, 01:27:57 PM »

I read that there was a slight miscalculation and that the correct date is October 21 of this year.
Oh, great! Roll Eyes Four days before my 40th birthday. Roll Eyes
Tags: rapture 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: