OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 03:56:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Allowed to take communion in different "kinds" of Orthodox Churches?  (Read 3831 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiloah
"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Heb.11:1

www.balamand.edu.lb/ th...JoTheklaCan.htm

« on: April 25, 2004, 06:06:06 PM »

Can anybody tell me whether or not it is o.k. to attend and take communion at a different Orthodox Church when being a member with another kind - like for instance, I'm a member at a Byzantine Catholic church, can I participate in any other so-called "orthodox' church or do I have to be a member ?
Or as a member of the Antioch Orthodox Church, can I share communion at the OCA or the ROC ?

I mean these questions seriously and not for discussion, just a plain ole answer will do  Smiley

And is there a weblink to the Orthodox Bible available?

Shoshana, wondering

"And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,
 47.  Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved."  Acts 2:46-47

"God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ" 2.Cor.4:6

"One thing is education: that we learn how to love God. "
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2004, 06:49:07 PM »

Byzantine Catholics are not part of the Orthodox Church so you should you be recieving sacrements in an Orthodox Church.

Orthodox Christians can goto any Orthodox parish and recieve communion. Our churches may be seperate by administration but we are unitied in the chalice.

Joseph
Shiloah
"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Heb.11:1

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2004, 07:31:15 PM »

Thank you, Joseph.

Now here comes my next question:

does the Orthodox Church in general consider all other non-orthodox believers as un-saved and going to hell when they die?

Again, this question is not asked for discussion, just a plain answer will do. If there is a webpage where these matters are laid out with pro and con in detail, I'd appreciate it. I want to learn and to understand.

Thanks in advance for not receiving my questions as offensive.

Shoshana, making her way through the intrinsicalities of orthodox doctrine Smiley

"God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ" 2.Cor.4:6

arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2004, 07:50:03 PM »

does the Orthodox Church in general consider all other non-orthodox believers as un-saved and going to hell when they die?

The short answer is that the church does not condone anyone to hell but rather tries to save all from going to hell.

Here is a website with an answer to your question by Fr. Thomas Hopko, former dean of St. Vladimir's seminary.

http://www.oca.org/pages/orth_chri/Q-and-A_OLD/Meeting-the-Orthodox.html#11

Joseph
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2004, 08:02:03 PM »

Can anybody tell me whether or not it is o.k. to attend and take communion at a different Orthodox Church... ?
Or as a member of the Antioch Orthodox Church, can I share communion at the OCA or the ROC ?

shosahana,
arimethea has given you a correct answer here and one which is the ideal. If you are visiting a parish which is not your home parish, even in the your same "jurisdiction", it is still a good idea to call ahead and talk to the priest. It will make his job easier and he will appreciate it as he must (in ideal) ascertain who is qualified to partake of the Holy Gifts.
BTW, I am so glad you found that parish; I'm an old (well, pretty old) Hampton Roads native myself and get a little homesick once in a while.  Smiley

Demetri
« Last Edit: April 25, 2004, 08:08:12 PM by +æ-ü+¦-â-ä+++¦+++«-é » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Shiloah

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2004, 08:21:27 PM »

Thank you again, Joseph, you certainly helped me along with this link. I have read stuff by Fr.Thomas Hopko before and I like his writings. There is only one Body of Christ, and as Fr.Thomas expresses so carefully, there is no telling who is really part of it - church membership alone certainly won't cut it!

Shoshana, thankful for the spiritual treasures of the Church.

Shiloah

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2004, 08:34:25 PM »

Ari, that's an interesting flag, is it from Jerusalem?

Thanks for the helpful hints. You have some good male common sense  Smiley

Shoshana, holding on to HIS  Kiss hand

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2004, 08:43:49 PM »

Ari, that's an interesting flag, is it from Jerusalem?

Thanks for the helpful hints. You have some good male common sense  Smiley

Shoshana, holding on to HIS  Kiss hand

Thanks, I just found it and am still cleaning the image up. It's the flag of the Republic of Georgia. Had the tsar won the Crimean War, my grandfather's native area in Turkey would have been in Georgia instead of staying in Turkey. We are Laz people (in part) and related to the Georgians. It's hard to tell if that outcome of being under the tsar would have been any better considering Stalin was from Georgia and still made a mess of Holy Russia. But I liked the flag  Smiley -Georgia, very Orthodox country.

As to male common sense, my wife would call that an oxymoron, I think!

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Shiloah

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2004, 09:28:58 PM »

Ari, here is an interesting link about the Laz people http://www.geocities.com/arzu_barske/laz1.html

Very interesting. We are all tribal people, going back to Noah , or as Acts 17:26 says "And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation" .

Be blessed, you and your wife  Smiley
Shoshana

Surge
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2004, 09:30:47 PM »

I think many of the OOs will commune you too whether Byzantine Catholic or Eastern Orthodox.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2004, 10:42:37 PM »

Ari, here is an interesting link about the Laz people http://www.geocities.com/arzu_barske/laz1.html

Very interesting. We are all tribal people, going back to Noah , or as Acts 17:26 says "And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation" .

Be blessed, you and your wife  Smiley
Shoshana

Thank you VERY much! I try to find all of these sites but had missed this one.
Goody, goody-  an insomniac's dream (another oxymoron?)

Demetri

Brendan03
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2004, 11:59:44 AM »

Georgia is very interesting to visit, many well preserved Orthodox churches there (Stalin went relatively easy on his homeland in terms of destroying churches).

In terms of communication, an Orthodox may communicate in any Orthodox parish, but the priest has the right to ascertain whether you are Orthodox and whether you are prepared.  Hence it is best to call ahead.  We do not advocate parish hopping, really, it's more expected to settle in as the member of one particular community.

In terms of salvation, Orthodoxy takes no view as to those who are outside of her visible communion in terms of eternal salvation, damnation or the like.  

Brendan

B
gregory2
Elder

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2004, 12:47:24 AM »

I've read that God does not send anyone to Hell -- we go there of our own will.   God loves us and wants us to be close to Him (i.e., to be saved).  However, because of man's free will, sometimes his pride and his willful turning away from God get in the way and prevent this.  

Regular confession is so crucial to a Christian life.  It helps us re-orient ourselves along God's chosen path for us.

"Anything that is worth accomplishing cannot be accomplished in a lifetime." - the Holy Fathers
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 11:51:49 PM »

An Antiochian Orthodox priest told me that somewhere in the middle east ( I say somewhere because I have forgotten exactly where  Tongue ) the Melkites and Antiochian Orthodox commune in each other's churches due to a lack of accessibility. That was news to me!.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 11:53:23 PM by ChristusDominus » Logged

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2009, 12:29:42 AM »

Here's something interesting. It's about an Orthodox priest sharing communion in a Byzantine Catholic church. http://byztex.blogspot.com/2008/05/romanian-orthodox-bishop-communes.html
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 12:30:38 AM by ChristusDominus » Logged

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2009, 01:13:18 AM »

Here's something interesting. It's about an Orthodox priest sharing communion in a Byzantine Catholic church. http://byztex.blogspot.com/2008/05/romanian-orthodox-bishop-communes.html

Old news...and extremely, EXTREMELY controversial.

P.S. He was actually a bishop...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 01:13:41 AM by Ukiemeister » Logged

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2009, 02:52:27 AM »

Old news...and extremely, EXTREMELY controversial.

P.S. He was actually a bishop...
I meant to say " bishop" as the article stipulates and, it was fresh news to me. Even though it was reported a year ago.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 02:53:33 AM by ChristusDominus » Logged

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2009, 08:58:06 PM »

Before the Eucharist is distributed to the faithful, when my priest comes out of the Holy Doors, he says this:  "Those of you Orthodox Christians who are prepared to receive the Holy Mysteries from prayer, fasting and recent confession, come forth.  Those of you who are not prepared or who are not Orthodox are welcome to come forward at the end of the Liturgy for the blessed bread and a blessing."  Then he says, "with faith, with love and with fear, draw near."

How many priests, whether EO, Byz Cath, or OO say something like to the congregation this before the distribution?  It should be emphasized simply because so many people today think they are "entitled" to the Mysteries regardless of what their personal confession of faith actually is. 

Also, if you have any doubt about whether you should commune in a parish not your own, don't commune. You will have plenty of other times to do that, but it is far better to not possibly abuse the eucharist to the point of condemnation than to risk.  We will be held accountable at the Last Judgment for every time we have received unworthily.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, 01:09:06 AM »

This makes those Greek Old Calendarists look pretty appealing right now!
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2009, 03:05:47 PM »

^That's pretty old news, over a year ago.  the matter has already been dealt with (if you can call it that) by the Romanian Holy Synod.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2009, 03:20:01 PM »

This makes those Greek Old Calendarists look pretty appealing right now!
Oh, come on  Grin , this is ancient news.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 03:20:47 PM by ChristusDominus » Logged

Tags: communion 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: