Author Topic: Historical Mov't to Byzantine/Hagia Sophia Rite vs. Variety of Rites...  (Read 1003 times)

Offline 88Devin12

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Denver
I've been trying to read more about Orthodox History and also about Pre-Schism Orthodoxy, and I've been interested in the fact that it seems to me, that while the West unified it's Rites into the "Roman Rite", the East moved towards a singular, "Byzantine Rite" that focused on the rite practiced in Constantinople at Hagia Sophia.

What I'm interested in, is what is the history behind this movement, and is there anything heterodox or heretical about having multiple "rites" within the Church?

I ask, not only because of the Western Rite, but also looking at Roman Catholicism and Oriental Orthodoxy, and that if union is ever achieved (mainly between EO and OO, but when pigs fly, also the RCC and EO) that there would (presumably) be a variety of rites within the Church again.

I also ask because I'm aware that the Orthodox Church had a variety of rites, including the Roman Rite, Gallican Rite, Ambrosian Rite, Celtic Rite, Byzantine Rite, etc... (and presumably other rites in the East)

I'm just interested in the theology and history behind the movement to one specific rite vs. a variety, and whether or not a variety of rites is "bad"...