OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 12:36:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Megalynaria at the Paraklesis  (Read 845 times) Average Rating: 0
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« on: January 03, 2011, 01:08:44 AM »

I have a bit of a technical question for those who are liturgically-minded:

At the Paraklesis to the Theotokos, usually sung during Lent and around her other feasts, there are a series of megalynaria sung at the end of the canon ("Higher than the heavens", etc.).

My question is: if it is a Paraklesis to a saint (not to the Theotokos), are the megalynaria for the Theotokos still sung? Or do we sing only the megalynarion to the saint?

I hope this makes sense. Thanks! Smiley
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 01:09:14 AM by bogdan » Logged
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 07:16:38 PM »

What other Paraklesis exist besides those for the Theotokos and Advent?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 07:16:49 PM by arimethea » Logged

Joseph
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 07:37:09 PM »

I have a bit of a technical question for those who are liturgically-minded:

At the Paraklesis to the Theotokos, usually sung during Lent and around her other feasts, there are a series of megalynaria sung at the end of the canon ("Higher than the heavens", etc.).

My question is: if it is a Paraklesis to a saint (not to the Theotokos), are the megalynaria for the Theotokos still sung? Or do we sing only the megalynarion to the saint?

I hope this makes sense. Thanks! Smiley

You sing the megalynarion of the saint and of the church in which the paraklesis is being sung. At least that's what I've seen.

What other Paraklesis exist besides those for the Theotokos and Advent?

There are many parakleseis (plural). A very popular one is to St. Nektarios. These are modeled on the Small Paraklesis to the Theotokos.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 01:10:58 AM »

Thank you, Pensateomnia!
MarkosC

Faith: Patriarchate of Antioch
Jurisdiction: Greek/Melkite Catholic

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 08:18:13 PM »

To answer a few of the questions in this thread....

- yes, there are Parakleses to many different saints which form a good part of the popular piety among the Greeks.  These are generally metered to the original canon in the "small" Paraklesis, though not always.  The library of the Monastery of Simonopetra has a large bookshelf with Great Vepers, Orthros w/Polyeleos, Parakleses to saints who do not get such treatment in the Menaion [all of course in Greek].  In the week and a half I was in Greece, I had the opportunity to attend Parakleses, added as a regular part of said church's the regular liturgical cycle, to St. Dimitrios (at said church chanted by the old ladies of the church next to his relics rather than the regular cantors), the Iviron Icon of the Theotokos (at Iviron, again chanted by a 20-something Greek pilgrim rather than the monks, who struggled a bit b/c he was new to the text), St. Mary Magdalene and St. Simon of Simonopetra (at Simonopetra, chanted by the monks - BTW a recording of this is right now available from liturgica.com and I recommend it).   

Holy Transfiguration Monastery, I believe, publishes English Parakleses to St. Nektarios (as mentioned), St. George, St. Katherine, and Sts. Joachim and Anna, as well as ones to Our Lord Jesus Christ, your Guardian Angel, or to the Heavenly Powers and all Saints in their Horologion.   

- there are usually megalynaria listed in a given Paraklesis (usually but again not always to the melody translated by HTM as "Higher than the heavens" from the small Paraklesis)

- in the cases where there are no megalynaria, I'd do what pensateomnia suggested, ending with "all ye arrays of angelic hosts..."

O Lord although I desired to blot out
with my tears the handwriting of my many sins
And for the rest of my life to please Thee
through sincere repentance
Yet doth the enemy lead me astray as he wareth
against my sould with his cunning

O Lord before I utterly perish do Thou save me!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: