OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 01:47:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: elevation of the consecrated gifts  (Read 1101 times) Average Rating: 0
samkim
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« on: January 02, 2011, 09:36:57 PM »

When the priest says "Let us attend! Holy things are for the holy!" the consecrated Lamb is lifted slightly above the paten (forgot the Greek word for this).

This video of an Antiochian liturgy shows the priest lifting the Lamb up very high with his hands, much in the same way a Roman Catholic priest elevates a consecrated host. Skip to 49:00 minutes in and you'll see it:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=952490109124099138#docid=7546123408967862665

I'm curious about how common this practice is. I go to an Antiochian parish, and I've never seen the Lamb lifted up like that. I actually kind of like this practice, but maybe that's the secret papist in me.

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 10:36:38 PM »

When the priest says "Let us attend! Holy things are for the holy!" the consecrated Lamb is lifted slightly above the paten (forgot the Greek word for this).

This video of an Antiochian liturgy shows the priest lifting the Lamb up very high with his hands, much in the same way a Roman Catholic priest elevates a consecrated host. Skip to 49:00 minutes in and you'll see it:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=952490109124099138#docid=7546123408967862665

I'm curious about how common this practice is. I go to an Antiochian parish, and I've never seen the Lamb lifted up like that. I actually kind of like this practice, but maybe that's the secret papist in me.
very very common, it's been done in every parish i've been to...
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 10:43:39 PM »

In the Serbian Church I never see the Body elevated with out the plate that it lays on..this is a little different..... Huh
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 10:44:25 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 11:06:29 PM »

The little red Orthodox prayer book by the Antiochian Archdiocese says this:
"(Then the Priest takes up the holy Bread in both hands and elevates it above the Diskarion, saying aloud:) ... (As the Priest lowers the holy Bread, he makes with it the sign of the Cross thrice, above the Diskarion. Meanwhile the Choir sings the following Hymn; the people sit.)
In the little red prayer book, it refers to it as the "Elevation"

The Divine Liturgy Hymnal (Compl. by Fr. Igor Soroka), 1979 also refers to it as the "Elevation".

In "Let us Attend: A Journey through the Orthodox Divine Liturgy" by Fr. Lawrence Farley, it says:
"The deacon calls all to holy anticipation saying, 'Let us attend!' and the Priest elevates the Body of Christ, summoning the faithful to draw near, saying, 'The holy things are for the holy!' The faithful cry out in joy, 'One is holy! One is the Lord - Jesus Christ, to the glory of God the Father!'"
He then speaks more about the phrase "Holy things are for the Holy", but he doesn't refer anymore about the elevation of the body of Christ.

In "The Orthodox Faith, Volume II: Worship" by Fr. Thomas Hopko, it says:
"The consecrated Lamb is then elevated with the proclamation: 'Holy things are for the Holy!' The people respond: 'One is Holy! One is the Lord, Jesus Christ! To the Glory of God the Father, Amen.' The celebrant then breaks the Lamb into four pieces according to the way it was cut at the prothesis."
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 12:30:16 AM »

I think he was just being a little dramatic. The lamb is elevated but it is usually kept over the the diskos in order to make sure no crumbs fall.

Joseph
samkim
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 03:53:45 AM »

I know that the Lamb is elevated yall. Read the phrasing of my question. I've just never seen it raised that high.

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)

Christos Anesti!

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 09:35:21 PM »

It is in France correct?? Because if it is France, France is a Catholic country so it could be a western influence
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 10:01:58 PM by Altar Server » Logged

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 10:33:21 PM »

It is in France correct?? Because if it is France, France is a Catholic country so it could be a western influence
No. Canada. Montréal. If you listen to much of the service, you will notice that it is trilingual:  English, French, and Arabic. I doubt that Fr Antony has been influenced much by western practices.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 10:53:29 PM »

I know that the Lamb is elevated yall. Read the phrasing of my question. I've just never seen it raised that high.

I'll echo Arimethea: there's no directions given as to "how high," but usually the Body of Christ is kept close to the paten (i.e. raised only a little bit).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Ikonguru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Baptised Anglican -moving toward Orthodoxy

Lord have Mercy upon me, a Sinner

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 05:49:38 PM »

Christ was raised up on the cross between 9 in the morning and three in the afternoon. In this way both sides of his body were lit by the sun.

His spirit was already in the risen state before his body died.

In the Christian tradition, there is Bright week also.

It is from a place of exile, where my captors torment me, that I write these lines. Through the grace of our Lord, I may one day be free.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 05:57:03 PM »

would this be considered a form of eucharistic adoration? ort he closest the eastern church gets to it?

Proverbs 22:7
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 05:58:55 PM »

His spirit was already in the risen state before his body died.

?

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 02:59:13 PM »

would this be considered a form of eucharistic adoration? ort he closest the eastern church gets to it?

No. The Latin eucharistic adoration is a practice which places the consecrated host in a special device called a "monstrance" (SP?) for public veneration.

Generally Latins are the ones who lift the host so high during the Mass, but they would not consider that elevation as "eucharistic adoration."

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: