OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 12:13:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Novice at Savior's Desert monastery tells story on news site  (Read 1566 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: January 01, 2011, 08:08:41 PM »

Steven Barbaro, a novice at the Savior's Desert monastery in Treadwell, New York, has written an article on the monastic life.

From the article:
We all come from diverse backgrounds. Some of us were born in the faith and some converted to Orthodoxy. As monks and nuns, our goal is to follow what the Savior of the world summarized all his particular commands in two main, general commandments: You are to love the Lord your God, with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment.

And the second is: You are to love your neighbor as yourself. The whole of the law and the prophets depends on these two commandments (Matthew 22: 37-40).

angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 04:10:36 PM »

Wonderful article! Thanks for sharing! Smiley

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Tags: Monasticism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: