OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 07:08:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Car bomb at Coptic Church in Alexandria kills at least 21  (Read 2402 times) Average Rating: 0
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« on: January 01, 2011, 05:11:54 AM »

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/Blast-at-Egpytian-Christian-Church-Kills-21-112742969.html

David 2007

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 10:22:52 AM »

Sad Very sad Sad
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 10:25:50 AM »

Memory Eternal! Our prayers are directed to our Coptic brothers and all of the Christians suffering in the Mideast at the hands of Muslim extremists.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 10:40:54 AM »

Lord, have mercy.   Cry Cry Cry

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 12:04:25 PM »

Memory eternal!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 01:10:51 PM »

Lord have mercy! Memory eternal!

That this happened in Alexandria, and leading up to Christmas, is particularly disturbing.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Lauren_Elisse
Elder

Faith: Antiochian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: United States

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 05:15:30 PM »

Memory Eternal!
Lord have mercy upon all of your creations.

Psalms 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 05:22:11 PM »

May their memories be eternal.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 08:00:43 PM »

Vengeance is mine, I will repay, saith the Lord.  

To me belongeth vengeance, and recompence; their foot shall slide in due time: for the day of their calamity is at hand, and the things that shall come upon them make haste.

-

May they rest in peace, brothers and martyrs for Christ.

May the Lord's terrible retribution be swift upon His enemies, and may these servants of Satan find conversion as they face divine Justice.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 08:05:39 PM by lubeltri » Logged
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 08:18:07 PM »

I think this is a video of the liturgy taking place in the church when the blast occurs:

http://videohat.masrawy.com/view_video.php?viewkey=c553fe7a52353c64b9bd

Note how the priest tries to calm everyone, and then continues with the liturgy to conclude it.  I read elsewhere that the blast occurred during the anaphora, and that when they started chanting again it was the hymn for the end of the liturgy.

Lord have mercy on our Coptic brothers and sisters!

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 12:31:57 AM »

I think this is a video of the liturgy taking place in the church when the blast occurs:

http://videohat.masrawy.com/view_video.php?viewkey=c553fe7a52353c64b9bd

Note how the priest tries to calm everyone, and then continues with the liturgy to conclude it.  I read elsewhere that the blast occurred during the anaphora, and that when they started chanting again it was the hymn for the end of the liturgy.

Lord have mercy on our Coptic brothers and sisters!

Yes, that is true.  It was actually in the middle of an Anaphora, and then after the explosion, the priest tried to calm the people down telling them to stay where they are, it's nothing, it might be just a gas tank that blew or something, but the panicing mood of the congregation forced the priest to sign the cross several times to the congregation and commanded the deacons to sing the concluding hymn of the liturgy.

Lord, have mercy!  Memory eternal to the martyrs of God.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
vasnTearn

Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 10:38:18 AM »

Lord, have mercy on Your servants!!!

philip xavier

come,Lord Jesus!

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 12:21:43 PM »

The Lord knows how to deal with the perpetrators of this incident.His work cannot be stopped-the gates of hell will not prevail against the Church.May the lives and examples of these new martyrs inspire us to persevere in the faith.Have mercy upon us Lord...

Lord have mercy.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 06:24:55 PM »

more related news...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-02/egyptian-christians-in-clashes-with-police-after-church-attack.html
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 01:35:17 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Elijah
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Tewahedo

God is love; be faithful un to death.

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 07:06:15 PM »

Very sad this is happening to Christians.  I hope Lord comforts souls of the deceased ones and be on the side of  the injured.

Holy Mary, You are the ladder of life. St. Yared
My sons/daughters, come and I will teach you the fear of God. Christ is light.
He watches everything high; He is the king  even over those in the water. Eyob 41:25
Fr.Kyrillos

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 03:43:49 PM »

The following video depicts the reality of the gruesome attack. Warning - it is very graphic.

http://bishoysblog.com/2011/01/in-memory-of-alexandrian-martyrs/

Lord have mercy.

Fr. Kyrillos
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 07:20:13 PM »

The following video depicts the reality of the gruesome attack. Warning - it is very graphic.

Lord have mercy.

Fr. Kyrillos

Thanks, Father, for posting this link.

What hymn was being chanted?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Fr.Kyrillos

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 07:31:16 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Fr. Kyrillos

Thanks, Father, for posting this link.

What hymn was being chanted?

The hymn is called Golgotha the Burial Hymn. It is chanted on Great Friday.  You can read the words here:

http://tasbeha.org/hymn_library/view/209
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 07:33:18 PM »

thank you all for your prayers.
truly the coptic Christians felt the prayers of our brothers and sisters all around the world in the various churches.
we join you in our prayers for those hurt and their families and friends, while we determinedly celebrate of the coming of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, who is worthy of all glory and praise.
may God give you all peace and courage.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 08:55:35 PM »

thank you all for your prayers.
truly the coptic Christians felt the prayers of our brothers and sisters all around the world in the various churches.
we join you in our prayers for those hurt and their families and friends, while we determinedly celebrate of the coming of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, who is worthy of all glory and praise.
may God give you all peace and courage.

For all our Coptic Christians:
Christ is Born.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 10:24:57 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Mabsoota.   Smiley

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 10:28:43 PM »

It seems everyone was safe during the Christmas liturgies.  Is that the case?  I have heard nothing bad.  Let's hope and pray the worst is over and that this sort of thing does not happen again.

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2011, 01:09:17 AM »

It seems everyone was safe during the Christmas liturgies.  Is that the case?  I have heard nothing bad.  Let's hope and pray the worst is over and that this sort of thing does not happen again.

They certainly upped the security, not just in Egypt, but from what I understand most of the world.  Last night, local police and FBI protected our churches in NJ.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2011, 01:18:44 AM »

It seems everyone was safe during the Christmas liturgies.  Is that the case?  I have heard nothing bad.  Let's hope and pray the worst is over and that this sort of thing does not happen again.

They certainly upped the security, not just in Egypt, but from what I understand most of the world.  Last night, local police and FBI protected our churches in NJ.
I'm ntrigued in that I don't recall anything like the Muslims acting as human shields before:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,32682.0.html
I wonder if a turning point has been reached.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 01:19:10 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2011, 01:21:10 AM »

They certainly upped the security, not just in Egypt, but from what I understand most of the world.  Last night, local police and FBI protected our churches in NJ.
I'm ntrigued in that I don't recall anything like the Muslims acting as human shields before:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,32682.0.html
I wonder if a turning point has been reached.

Let's pray this pressures the government to give Copts freedom and the right to build and repair churches without their permission considering all the public Muslim support we've been receiving.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 01:21:31 AM by minasoliman » Logged

mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2011, 06:06:30 PM »

as far as i know everything was fine in the coptic Churches for Christmas.
thank you for your welcome.

i would like to invite anyone in the uk who can travel to london to come to the road opposite downing street (the prime minister's road) at 12.00 this saturday 15th january for a quiet show of solidarity with the suffering Christians in egypt and in the lands where it is difficult to practice their faith.

there are black gates at the end of downing street (the end which is nearest the house of parliament at westminster) and people are meeting opposite these. it is just a short walk from westminster underground (metro) station, turn right (away from the river), then take the first road on the right, and it is at the end of that road. i think it will last 2-3 hours and we plan a quiet meeting. it was announced today in church.
Malina

Jurisdiction: Russian Patriarchate

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2011, 11:52:12 AM »

It`s very sad news, but we have to remember Christ’s words: “And yet not a hair on your head will be lost”.
Life is a special gift from God. We have to use every minutes rightly and according to God`s will. People don`t waste time and recourses, Love God and neighbors and care to everyone.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2011, 02:58:52 AM »

Forgive me, but I don't understand why a Bishop would prohibit individual, sympathetic Muslims, however rare or common they may be, from showing their sympathy for the bombing victims. On the other hand, maybe I am simply misreading the article, because it says that the Copts would take part in a Muslim demonstration. Maybe it implies that it was a Copts-only demonstration that didn't include Orthodox and Catholics either? Or maybe the author is misreading the Bishop's statement about awaiting a manifestation when the author concludes that the Bishop "rejected Muslims' participation"?

On a sidenote, the snippet at the end seemed, well, unusually-worded for a typical Catholic news article.
Whatever. The world is a weird place.

Good night.

• Bishop Rejects Muslim Participation as Copts Demonstrate in Rome
    By Michael Terheyden, 1/14/2011
    http://www.catholic.org/international/international_story.php?id=39954

In response to these brutal terrorist attacks and escalating persecution, a group of Copts held a demonstration on Sunday, January 9, 2011, in front of the Basilica of St. Mary of the Angels and the Martyrs in Rome. Barnaba El Soryany, the Bishop of Rome's Coptic diocese, courageously and without regard to the petty politics of political correctness, rejected Muslim participation.

Apparently he had doubts about the Egyptian government's true motivations and wanted to avoid potential problems. In an interview with the Catholic News Agency, he said, "We love our Muslim brothers: We await a manifestation by them and if they invite us, we will take part." While we welcome all sincere expressions of solidarity between Muslims and Christians, it seems Bishop El Soryany is a realist who knows that rising fanaticism is a complex and sensitive issue that runs far and wide within Muslim society.

Although Bishop Barnaba El Soryany said that Muslims and Christians have good relations in his diocese, limiting participation in Sunday's demonstration gave the Copts a unique opportunity to speak to the world.

-----

Michael Terheyden was born into a Catholic family, but that is not why he is a Catholic. He is a Catholic because he believes that truth is real, that it is beautiful and good, and that the fullness of truth is in the Catholic Church. However, he knows that God's grace operating throughout his life is the main reason he is a Catholic.

Saint Iaint
This Poster Has Ignored Multiple Requests to Behave Better
High Elder

Faith: Once Delivered

The Truth Shall Be Reviled

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2011, 04:11:06 AM »

Memory Eternal! Our prayers are directed to our Coptic brothers and all of the Christians suffering in the Mideast at the hands of Muslim extremists.

Well, I see you've completed your investigation Podkarpatska and you've rendered your verdict as to just who is responsible for this.

Good job everyone here has in you such a competent long-distance forensic detective!

Now that we all know for sure that "Muslim extremists" were behind this, we can carry on with the clearing of the land from the Nile to the Euphrates for Eretz Yisrael.

Hasn't anyone ever heard of the 'Lavon Affair' or 'Operation Susannah'? The attack on the USS LIberty??

Use Google: 'Lavon Affair'; 'Operation Susannah'; 'USS Liberty'. Do it!

~~~ ~~~ ~~~

'The Alexandria Church Bombing: Mossad, Who Else?'

"Minutes into the new year, an explosion rocked al-Qiddissin Coptic Church in Alexandria, Egypt. 25 innocent people dead.  At least 97 innocents wounded. A 17-year old eyewitness ominously stated, ‘The last thing I heard was a powerful explosion and then my ears went deaf. All I could see were body parts scattered all over.’

All initial reports stated that a car bomb was the weapon used to carry out the New Years Day bloodshed. The US-backed Zionist dictatorship that runs Egypt typically went against the facts on the ground however, with the Ministry of Interior blaming the assault on a suicide bomber, and without a drop of concrete evidence, stating that the attack was carried out by none other than Al-Qaeda, which doesn’t exist, and whose leader, CIA agent Timothy Osman a.k.a. Osama Bin Laden, is long dead.

From AP, to Yahoo, to the New York Times, the liars that run the Zionist media immediately went into overdrive, vociferously promoting virulent garbage about ‘sectarian tensions’ between Muslims and Christians in Egypt being inflamed after the bombing. Of course there is no evidence of such ‘sectarian tension,’ but the mouthpieces of Israel, from the television to print, have no interest in telling the truth and they never have.

Not promoted by the Zionist media is the longstanding unity between Egypt’s Muslims and Coptic Minority, nor has it been promoted that Islamic and Christian leaders have stood side by side in the aftermath of the bombing, which wounded innocents from both faiths. The enmity between the two religious groups is nothing more than carefully concocted Zionist fiction.

There is only one entity in the entire region that benefits from religious division in any Middle Eastern nation: the Zionist entity occupying Palestine. One of the key strategic goals of the Zionist entity in Egypt is to trigger a communal war between Muslims and Christians. The Lebanese Resistance movement, Hezbollah, condemned the bombing,  declaring it ‘serves the Zionist scheme… aimed at fragmenting our Arab and Islamic countries.’ All evidence, physical and circumstantial, points directly to Mossad being the culprit behind the al-Qiddissin church bombing."

Continued at The Ugly Truth

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute...

Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith, not giving heed to Jewish fables and commandments of men who turn from the truth.
Tags: persecution Coptic Orthodox Church Islam al-Qidiseen massacre 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: