OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 03:02:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "God bless you"  (Read 1301 times) Average Rating: 0
Russell

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Baptised Russian Orthodox

« on: January 01, 2011, 02:36:49 AM »

A few weeks ago I visited a nondenominational church and everyone seemed to be in the habit of saying "God bless you" instead of goodbye. 

Is it appropiate for non-clergy to say "God bless you"

Mathe 24:36
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 02:46:12 AM »

As far as I know, according to the Orthodox tradition, it is OK for one layman to say to another, "God bless you" (even though it is not widely accepted) - but it is not approppriate for a layman to say "God bless you" to a clergyman.

In those traditions that I am familiar with (Ukrainian and Russian), Orthodox lay people say to each other "Good bye," or "Go with God," when they part, but not "God bless you."

In the Russian tradition, sometimes Orthodox lay people say "Christ save you" instead of "Thank you," but this custom is not very prevalent.

Love never fails.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 03:30:11 AM »

As far as I know, according to the Orthodox tradition, it is OK for one layman to say to another, "God bless you" (even though it is not widely accepted) - but it is not approppriate for a layman to say "God bless you" to a clergyman.

And yet such a hard habit to break when it's the automatic response to pop out as a reply.  Embarrassed myself talking with a priest after Liturgy, before coffee and the mental acuity that comes with it had a chance to kick in.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Faith: Catholic Christianity
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 06:57:04 AM »

Non-sacramental churches view "blessings" in a different way.

Of course I cross myself whenever my Protestant father tells me "God Bless You" so I choose to take it that way, at least in some contexts. To me, when a layperson says it to another layperson, it usually doesn't mean that the layperson is trying to impart a blessing onto the other person, but merely expressing a wish and a prayer to God that God's blessing will descend upon that person.

And if that is not okay for me to do for anyone, then what is? Although it would sound inappropriate to say to a priest.

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 09:09:33 AM »

I think it is worth pointing out that "goodbye" is a shortened form of "God be with you" so "God bless you" should be appropriate in any setting in which "goodbye" would be fitting.

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 09:39:09 AM »

Even if the "bless" word isn't used, God is regularly invoked by Orthodox laypeople in conversation. Russian spasibo "thank you" is a contraction of spasi Bog "may God save [you]", while Romanian believers greet each other with Doamne ajută "May the Lord help [you]".
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: