OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 07:37:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2000 vs 2010 At a Glance  (Read 576 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: December 31, 2010, 03:18:58 AM »

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 03:28:24 AM »

Thank you for this. I love this kind of data.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 01:20:35 PM »

I remember in 2000, I didn't have a cellphone.

Now, my cellphone is my primary number.  And we are now transitioning into an age of smartphones.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 02:24:45 PM »

I like how the total number of movie tickets sold has actually gone down by .1 billion, yet the ticket gross has gone up by $2.6 billion.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 02:30:16 PM »

Only statistic that surprised me is a decrease in US power consumption, despite a substantial increase in population. That's a more telling statistic about growth than any financial analysis.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 03:09:35 PM »

Only statistic that surprised me is a decrease in US power consumption, despite a substantial increase in population. That's a more telling statistic about growth than any financial analysis.

That surprised me as well.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 02:30:46 PM »

I was thinking the same thing.  Now the question is, are we using less power because we are more efficient or because we are using less energy?  If it is efficiency, then that is a huge thing since, as you noted, our population has gone up so even a minor increase in usage would be expected, but a decrease?  If we are using less energy to do less work then it is another sign of the economy stagnating.  Either way, interesting data.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: