OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 11:22:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Iconography vs. Western Art  (Read 1609 times) Average Rating: 0
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

יהוה עזי ומגני

« on: December 30, 2010, 05:07:21 PM »

http://www.traditionaliconography.com/webgalleryart.html

Interesting essay. Further thoughts? How has Orthodox iconography affected your own life? What icons have meant the most to you and why? What are key differences you see between iconography and Western art?

Silly Stars
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 08:41:51 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!
http://www.traditionaliconography.com/webgalleryart.html

Interesting essay. Further thoughts? How has Orthodox iconography affected your own life? What icons have meant the most to you and why? What are key differences you see between iconography and Western art?

While I must adhere and respect the Holy Tradition, I must confess that in my own spiritual life and worship, I am as moved in the spirit by Orthodox iconography as I am by high Christian art such as Carravaggio or Titian, who though clearly are not Icon painters, none-the-less their work also carries the Holy Spirit, at least for me.  In Orthodox we would never put up such art in the Church, but surely even the most staunchly conservative amongst us can see the spiritual, Christian beauty and impact behind some of the Western art's paintings of the Saints or Madonna or Christ etc etc.

These paintings often convey a different side of worship, a more pragmatic, practical, real side that the idealized images in Icons do not quite convey.  Our lives are not dull, dry and emotionless, rather we are filled with feelings, and the Western artists are good at manifesting our human feelings into the religious imagery.  They capture our pains, our fears, our joys, our marvels, our wonders, our frustrations, or ideas, or cultures, etc etc..

In this way, Western art is indeed valuable and has a place in our own religious lives.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 08:46:46 PM »

Of course, ideally, traditional icons are the only ones that should be used liturgically; but nonetheless:
Quote from: Akathist of Thanksgiving
KONTAKION 7

One hears Thy call in a wonderful composition of sounds. Thou dost open for us the environment of our future paradise in melodious singing and harmonious tones, in the height of musical color, in the brilliance of artistic creativity. All that is truly beautiful carries the soul to Thee in a mighty call, and forces it to sing rapturously: Alleluia!

Ikos VII

Through the descent of the Holy Spirit Thou dost enlighten the thought of artists, poets and scientific geniuses. Through the power of the inmost mind, they are prophetically able to perceive Thy laws, opening for us the abyss of Thy creative wisdom. Their works involuntarily speak of Thee; of how great Thou art in Thy creations, of how great Thou art in man:

If Palestrina or Beethoven, Michelangelo or El Greco, et al, produce only carnal reactions in you, I'd wager you are the problem, not Western music and art.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 08:49:51 PM by JLatimer » Logged

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 12:25:08 PM »

I totally agree with everything else everyone has said.  Yesterday I was looking at some art work on the net and found my self in such a sense of praise and worship.  None of the art was iconic.  Sometimes I think I need a reminder that my Lord is HUMAN and God.  The Western art tends to remind me of this. 

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 02:43:22 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!
I totally agree with everything else everyone has said.  Yesterday I was looking at some art work on the net and found my self in such a sense of praise and worship.  None of the art was iconic.  Sometimes I think I need a reminder that my Lord is HUMAN and God.  The Western art tends to remind me of this. 

^^ Indeed, the very humanizing qualities of Western religious art are perhaps one of the finest legacies of the Western medieval period of Humanism.

Caravaggio

The very human quality of divine bewilderment is quite apparent, using image to convey a sense of personal revelation.

Titian
This captures the human family aspect of the Holy Family, reminding us that we too are part of this Holy Family, and that we experience Jesus Christ in the same pragmatic, realistic, everyday way in which Our Lady had

Bellini

A mother grieves in sincerity as the world outside carries on as ever, and our grief for Christ must be as real and dynamic as our grieving for each other

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Tags: art music iconography 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: