OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 09:29:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For recent RC converts...  (Read 865 times) Average Rating: 0
Dave in McKinney

Faith: Roman Catholic but loving Byzantine Catholicism

« on: December 30, 2010, 03:32:35 PM »

My wife and I have been (spiritually) hurt by the parish staff in a number of ways.  They don't mean to harm, but through their arrogance and lack of compassion they have ruined the Catholic faith for many.  Our neighbors down the street who used to be VERY involved in the parish life left for a non-denomination church because of the lack of love.  We're not talking about doctrinal or teaching disputes or anything of that sort.  I grew up Catholic, went to mass every Sunday, but other than that not a whole lot of teaching/spirituality beyond that.  Wife was life-long protestant with all the anti-Catholic teaching that brings.  She went thru RCIA a few years back -- which was a disaster -- don't know how she made it thru that.  We did the protestant church hopping for several years and came back to Catholic church last year. 
 For instance before we came back to RC church we went to have our marriage convalidated because we had been married in a Methodist church. We're standing in the chapel and the Deacon says to us -- okay now you're going to be "really" married.  This crushed my wife -- and I couldn't believe he said that, especially at that time and place!
  Right now my wife and I are barley hanging on at this point.  Thankfully we have a friend who is a priest (in another state) that gives us hope that their are kind, loving, gentle people (priests & deacons) out there.
   We had visited an EO church a year ago but it was rather ethnic and not very welcoming.  There's a new one that recently opened up by us... but I've seen some pretty polemical documents are their website.
  Anyone have similar issues with RC and find something different in EO?
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 04:57:52 PM »

That's discouraging, indeed, but please hang in there. I'm not an RC convert, but I know what you mean about the off-putting ethnicity in some Orthodox churches--it's the down-side of Orthodoxy that needs healing. Don't let that prevent you from finding the true, and beautiful, church of Christ. You may have to kiss a few toads, metaphorically, before you find the right group for you, but you will be so happy once you find it. Wonderful people are waiting to be discovered, and you will be so grateful when you meet them. Don't despair.
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Christos Anesti!

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 07:33:09 PM »

Dave,

Christ is Born!

I was born and raised in the Roman Catholic church. I was recieved into the Orthodox church two weeks ago. When I was Catholic I experienced both distant "stand-offish" clergy but also loving gentle clergy. When I began to look into Orthodoxy I realized that there was a lack of a sense of community in the Catholic Church. While my experience with clergy did not drive me away from the Catholic church the sense of community I found in the Orthodox church pulled me in so to speak. No matter what happens don't dispair God is Good.

In the Newborn Lord,
David(Seraphim)

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
militantsparrow
Laurence
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

militantsparrow
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 07:44:20 PM »

bump

"Yeah, the sparrow hath found an house..." -Psalm 84:3
finbar
Finbar

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: antiochian

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 09:22:47 PM »

When I revealed to a work colleague who is a RC priest associated with Opus Dei, his reaction was so shocked and surprised that I am certain that had I had revealed that I had become a buddhist he would have had a milder reaction. I  have found that RC converts to Orthodoxy that I have met, seem to be more at home more quickly with Orthdoxy. There are significant doctrinal differences but someone who comes from an RC background should not be phased by Icons and ritual. I know that some former Protestants struggle with this.
On the other hand there are some people in Orthodoxy who are a bit elitist, not in my limited experience so called 'cradle orthodox' but converts often from Protestant fundamentalist backgrounds who become rather rigid and supercilious in their attitudes. There really is something rather patronising about being treated and referred to as a 'newbie' by some self appointed expert, who knows nothing about what you have learned before you came into contact with Orthdoxy formally, assuming ignorance is insulting, and being treated like a spiritual 'toddler' says more about the lack of humility of the other person than anything about you...

"Nothing troubles the man who is given over to the will of God.....He knows that the Lord in His mercy is solicitous for us.....But the proud and the self-willed do not want to surrender to God's will.." St Siluan the Athonite
WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Faith: Catholic Christianity
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 10:12:06 PM »

I've only ever been to two parishes. Both were very welcoming and there was a clear sense of community. Two of my friends, who converted from Protestantism to Orthodoxy, are very well integrated into their Greek parish with no problems whatsoever.

Albuquerque is a unique city, though, and there are very few Orthodox Christians. Not nearly enough to split the parishes up into nice little ethnic groups of different jurisdictions.

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 10:14:46 PM »

Dave,

Christ is Born!

I was born and raised in the Roman Catholic church. I was recieved into the Orthodox church two weeks ago. When I was Catholic I experienced both distant "stand-offish" clergy but also loving gentle clergy. When I began to look into Orthodoxy I realized that there was a lack of a sense of community in the Catholic Church. While my experience with clergy did not drive me away from the Catholic church the sense of community I found in the Orthodox church pulled me in so to speak. No matter what happens don't dispair God is Good.

In the Newborn Lord,
David(Seraphim)

I don't want to disillusion anyone, but as a lifelong Orthodox please believe me that within Orthodoxy you will also experience both distant 'stand-offish' clergy as well as loving, gentle clergy. You will find parishes with a wonderful sense of community and ones with a total lack of community. You will find ethnic enclaves that are as unforgiving and cold as any Irish Catholic or Polish Catholic parish you have been a part of and left, or as warm, kind and close as any Irish Catholic or Polish Catholic parish that you may have been privileged to be a part of in your past. You will find converts and 'cradles' who are arrogant, Pharisaic and rude as well as 'cradles' and converts who are kind, humble, full of grace, love and understanding. In other words, we are not, on the personal level, much different than the place from which you came. The essence of the Faith is not to be found within her externals, as structured as they may be, but within her heart and soul - not a series of legalisms or attempts to answer all that is a mystery to us in this world - that will be the difference between your Roman Catholic experience and Orthodoxy. If you follow this Forum too closely over time you will find that for as many triumphalist 'elitists' you may encounter among us, you will find equally passionate polemicists and apologists among your former Roman brethren. Anyway, welcome to the Church and your continuation in the journey each Christian is undertaking in this world.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 10:17:08 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 02:26:24 PM »

I don't want to disillusion anyone, but as a lifelong Orthodox please believe me that within Orthodoxy you will also experience both distant 'stand-offish' clergy as well as loving, gentle clergy. You will find parishes with a wonderful sense of community and ones with a total lack of community. You will find ethnic enclaves that are as unforgiving and cold as any Irish Catholic or Polish Catholic parish you have been a part of and left, or as warm, kind and close as any Irish Catholic or Polish Catholic parish that you may have been privileged to be a part of in your past. You will find converts and 'cradles' who are arrogant, Pharisaic and rude as well as 'cradles' and converts who are kind, humble, full of grace, love and understanding. In other words, we are not, on the personal level, much different than the place from which you came. The essence of the Faith is not to be found within her externals, as structured as they may be, but within her heart and soul - not a series of legalisms or attempts to answer all that is a mystery to us in this world - that will be the difference between your Roman Catholic experience and Orthodoxy. If you follow this Forum too closely over time you will find that for as many triumphalist 'elitists' you may encounter among us, you will find equally passionate polemicists and apologists among your former Roman brethren. Anyway, welcome to the Church and your continuation in the journey each Christian is undertaking in this world.

Beautifully said.
We're all sinners. If you're looking for a perfect Church full of perfect people, this ain't it.
It is, however, the One True Catholic and Apostolic Church, founded by Christ Himself, and that was why I converted. I was under no illusions that I had suddenly walked into a roomful of perfect saints (though there are more of them around that you might think - I am not one of them, needless to say!)
(fwiw, my husband was a cradle RC, parochial schools etc. etc., and says he found the true Catholic Church in Orthodoxy.)

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Clancy Boy

Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 05:21:34 AM »

On the other hand there are some people in Orthodoxy who are a bit elitist, not in my limited experience so called 'cradle orthodox' but converts often from Protestant fundamentalist backgrounds who become rather rigid and supercilious in their attitudes.

Oh we're just excited is all.  At least I am.

I would never call you a newbie.  Shame on whoever called you a newbie.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: