Author Topic: Orthodox Church destroyed at 9/11  (Read 634 times)

Offline Tikhon.of.Colorado

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
Orthodox Church destroyed at 9/11
« on: December 30, 2010, 03:19:44 PM »
I heard that there was an Orthodox Church that was destroyed (along with the now famous mosque) when terrorists attached the world trade center at 9/11.

I have several questions:

1.  is this true?

2.  ifso, why are they pushing to re-build a mosque, but not the Church?  (I have to say, this shocks me)

forgive me for asking such a touchy question, but if I wanted to disguss this at school, I'd be called an anti-Muslim religous bigot.

if this is in the wrong topic, please move it, dear Mod's.  I'm not even sure if this is true.

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Scarecrow is watching you
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
Re: Orthodox Church destroyed at 9/11
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 03:21:57 PM »
Yes, this is true. There was a Greek Church that was destroyed by the collapsing towers.

Offline Schultz

• Christian. Guitarist. Scooterist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
  • Taxiarches
  • Scion of the McKeesport Becks.
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 03:25:59 PM »
My take, totally unsourced at the moment because I don't have the time to go looking for the links:

1.  The Greek congregation would like to rebuild, but the City wants the land that the church was on for its own purposes.  They are therefore using redtape to try to get the congregation to move elsewhere. 

2.  The so-called "Ground Zero Mosque" is not being rebuilt on its previous location but some blocks away.  The City is probably green lighting all it can because of fear of reprisals, litigation, and being accused of anti-Islamic sentiment.  Yes, it's a double standard.
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 03:32:38 PM »

I was under the impression that the Greek Orthodox Church was the only "house of worship" that was destroyed.

The mosque is a completely new structure, not a "rebuild".
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 03:36:49 PM »

I was under the impression that the Greek Orthodox Church was the only "house of worship" that was destroyed.

The mosque is a completely new structure, not a "rebuild".

is that so?  I've never really heard that a mosque was destroyed...I just assumed that's why they wanted to build one near the site. 

Offline Schultz

• Christian. Guitarist. Scooterist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
  • Taxiarches
  • Scion of the McKeesport Becks.
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 03:43:59 PM »
Good point.  Now that you mention it, there was no mosque at Ground Zero or in the immediate vicinity.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

Offline rakovsky

• Protokentarchos
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 04:48:01 PM »
So the city says no to church, maybe to mosque, and the public doesn't care about rebuilding a church and is against the mosque? The whole problem is stupid. There shouldn't be a problem. If all the mainstream religions are sorry about the tragedy, they should all be allowed to have houses of prayer, especially if the houses of worship had some memorials about the tragedy.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 05:00:53 PM by rakovsky »

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 05:12:43 PM »
So the city says no to church, maybe to mosque, and the public doesn't care about rebuilding a church and is against the mosque? The whole problem is stupid. There shouldn't be a problem. If all the mainstream religions are sorry about the tragedy, they should all be allowed to have houses of prayer, especially if the houses of worship had some memorials about the tragedy.
I agree.