OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 25, 2014, 06:35:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Definition of terms?  (Read 2196 times) Average Rating: 0
Canmak

OC.net

« on: April 22, 2004, 05:49:18 PM »

I don't know if there is one already on this forum, but I think it would be great if there is a list of definitions for the terms used in this forum.  

As I stated previously I am new and would like to know what a term would mean if I don't understand it.  Is there a list anywhere or can someone make one?

I think it would be good for new people such as myself.....its just a suggestion.

If no one wants to do it, is there a link some where?

My doctor says I am fine its my other personalities that have the problems.
Canmak

OC.net

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 06:12:39 PM »

Also I am extremely interested in the Orthodox history.....any links would be appreciated

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 06:17:02 PM »

Dear Canmak,

I am not sure what you are referring to.  If you are referring to the various acronyms, I think there is a thread somewhere in this folder with some of those.  Otherwise, I think you'll need to provide a few of the terms you are not sure of so that I/we can figure out just what sorts of terms you are interested in.

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 06:20:55 PM »

Perhaps this would be a good project for the forum.  Members who aren't as familiar with Orthodoxy can suggest unfamiliar terms and experienced members can provide definitions.  We could make it a sticky thread in one of the forums.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Canmak

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 06:26:07 PM »

David that was exactly what I was thinking. .......I will right down all the terms that I don't understand or want a clearer definition of.

Even if I have questiosn I can ask about them, Eventually I believe a full list would be made and possibly a Q & A list as well.

A sticky thread would be great.

David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 06:27:46 PM »

Sounds good...let's get 10 or so terms defined and then we'll make a new thread for them we can expand later.

-Yazid Ibrahim
Canmak

OC.net

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2004, 06:48:29 PM »

Eucharist
Non-Chalcedonian
Oriental Orthodox
Coptic Orthodox
Chrismation
Ecumenical Council
Canonical
Pashca
Calvinism
Communion

There you go:)

David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2004, 07:13:36 PM »

I'll just take one term so that others can have a turn...I'll take Pascha...will edit the definition in this post when complete.

Edit - here it is, please critique.

Pascha - Literally meaning passover, this is the term used in the early Church for the feast of the Resurrection of Christ and is still used predominantly in the Eastern Orthodox Church.  The Hebrew feast of Passover is a remembrance of when the final plague of Egypt spared the first born of the Hebrew people and convinced Pharoh to release the Hebrew servants from captivity(see Exodus 12).  The Church teaches that the Crucifixion of Christ is the true Passover and the central event of human history, making possible communion with God for mankind.  Pascha is the greek translation of the hebrew word for passover, pesach.  Generally Pascha falls on a different date than western Easter and faithful prepare for the Feast of Feasts throughout Great Lent and Holy Week.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 10:26:48 AM by David » Logged

-Yazid Ibrahim
Stavro
Warned
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2004, 09:57:20 PM »

I will take Coptic Orthodox, being a Coptic Orthodox myself.

Coptic is the race of true Egyptian , the descendents of the Pharaoh (not necessarily the kings, but the nation who populated Egypt thousands of years B.C.). We have the oldest civilization of the World, dating back to 5000 b.c. . The word itself means "Egyptian".

We became christian, when St.Mark, the blessed Apostle, the author by inspiration of the Holy Spirit of the Gospel of Mark, entered Egypt for Evangelism around 40 a.c. and christianity spread quickly in Egypt. He established the Church of ALexandria and we are his children in Faith.

Orthodoxy is our christian "denomination", or faith. What we inherited from St.Mark we still practice and believe till today, without change or alteration.

The legacy of the Coptic Church is its richness in theology, matryrs, and the perservation of true Faith as handed down to the APostles (Jude 3). The Coptic Orthodox Church has millions of martyrs, during different eras of persecution. In addition, the school Alexandria, which had among its graduates the top theologian of the Old Christian World, has had a great influence on the christian World.

Currently , we are about 15 millions Coptic Orthodox christian in Egypt, under persecution and discrimination from the muslim majority.

Our church is the first church to introduce Monasticism , and the first monk, St. Antony the Great, is a Coptic Egyptian who established monasticism in Egypt and then it spread to all the World.

Our church is the only church prophesized about (by location) in the book of Isaiah . "In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)....
You can visit the following sites to know more about the Coptic Orthodox Church:

www.suscopts.org (contains good links for Coptic culture, hymnology, orthodox faith,.....etc.)

www.coptichymns.net (has a good forum)

For books about our Church and Orthodoxy in general, visit:

www.orthodoxbookstore.org

I should mention in the end that we had our lines of Popes since St.Mark preached in Alexadria and became our first Pope. We were never under Roman Church or any other See's authority. We are among the original Sees in christianity.

Hope this helps.

Peace,
Stavro
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 01:46:06 PM by Stavro » Logged

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
Canmak

OC.net

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2004, 03:31:19 AM »

Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2004, 04:26:32 AM »

You may also be interested in A Dictionary of Orthodox Terms:

http://www.goarch.org/en/ourfaith/articles/article8049.asp

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: