OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 04:47:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayers and Readings in the Coptic liturgy  (Read 1051 times) Average Rating: 0
Andrew - The First Called

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Diocese of Ireland, Scotland, North East England and its Affiliated Regions

« on: December 30, 2010, 10:27:05 AM »

Does anyone know, In the Coptic liturgy (of St Basil), are there any prayers or parts which change on a daily basis or by season?

For example, in the western liturgy we have different readings each day, but we also have an introit, collect, preface etc which are different every day. As far as I can see, the only parts of the Coptic liturgy which are different on a daily basis are the readings (the Pauline and catholic epistles, the reading from acts, the gospel and the psalm), while the fraction does also seem to change for different seasons and celebrations. So is this the case or are their other prayers in the liturgy which change every day?

Also, are certain prayers omitted, added or changed during different parts of the year? For example, the Gloria is omitted at high mass during lent and advent in the western liturgy.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 10:15:43 PM »

To my limited knowledge, as far as I can remember, the prayer for the air, fruits, plants, rivers, seas, etc. (prayer for nature) changes every season.  There's a general prayer for nature, and there's three different prayers for nature for three different seasons in the year.

Really in the rites of the Coptic Church, I can't think of anything else in the Basilian liturgy itself that changes during the year.  Perhaps, music and hymnology changes, such as the 'Hitens' (Through the intercessions/prayers, sung after the Thanksgiving prayer), Post-Catholicon (post Catholic Epistle) hymn; Apasmos Adam (after the Prayer of Reconciliation) and Apasmos Vatos (after Meet and Right); Psalm 150 refrains and music, but the liturgy itself is the same for the most part.  Sometimes the priest likes to mix and match anaphoras and prayers from other liturgies into the liturgy of St. Basil like the prayers before and after the Litanies, and sometimes you will hear him sing "Je Nai Nan" (Have Mercy) after when he says, "And those who dwell therein in God's faith," within the Litanies themselves, right before the prayer for nature.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

God bless.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 10:18:23 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 10:41:03 PM »

To my limited knowledge, as far as I can remember, the prayer for the air, fruits, plants, rivers, seas, etc. (prayer for nature) changes every season.  There's a general prayer for nature, and there's three different prayers for nature for three different seasons in the year.

Just in case anyone is curious, yes, in Egypt there is (or was) only three seasons: innundation (when the Nile flooded), emergence (when the floods receeded and plants were grown) and harvest. The high dam put an end to all that.

Really in the rites of the Coptic Church, I can't think of anything else in the Basilian liturgy itself that changes during the year.  Perhaps, music and hymnology changes, such as the 'Hitens' (Through the intercessions/prayers, sung after the Thanksgiving prayer), Post-Catholicon (post Catholic Epistle) hymn; Apasmos Adam (after the Prayer of Reconciliation) and Apasmos Vatos (after Meet and Right); Psalm 150 refrains and music, but the liturgy itself is the same for the most part.  Sometimes the priest likes to mix and match anaphoras and prayers from other liturgies into the liturgy of St. Basil like the prayers before and after the Litanies, and sometimes you will hear him sing "Je Nai Nan" (Have Mercy) after when he says, "And those who dwell therein in God's faith," within the Litanies themselves, right before the prayer for nature.

God bless.
The verses inserted between the Holy God verses change for at least Feasts of the Lord.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 10:59:16 PM »

Just in case anyone is curious, yes, in Egypt there is (or was) only three seasons: innundation (when the Nile flooded), emergence (when the floods receeded and plants were grown) and harvest. The high dam put an end to all that.

God bless.
The verses inserted between the Holy God verses change for at least Feasts of the Lord.

Ah, yes....that too.  In Theophany, we sing, "Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, Who was baptized in the Jordan, have mercy on us."  And depending on the season, we concentrate on one line, "who was born for us," "who was crucified for us," "who has risen for us," and "who has risen and ascended into the heavens for us."
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 10:59:35 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 10:26:50 AM »

Fraction prayers are seasonal from what I understand.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: