OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 20, 2014, 05:06:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FUNDAMENTAL DOGMATIC DIFFERENCES BETWEEN CATHOLICISM AND ORTHODOXY  (Read 28619 times) Average Rating: 0
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #225 on: June 07, 2004, 12:57:56 AM »

S'ok Ben, I can forgive ya

Thank God! I was starting to get worried! Wink

Next time you just may end up on some thin ice - so watch yerself buddy!
Embarrassed

PS- Didja see my post to you in the Non-Chalcedonian forum, under the thread titled "John Paul II and the Assryian Church of the East"? I was wondering what transpired with your contacting the Assyrian bishop - any updates?

I was planning on contacting an Assryian bishop, but haven't got the chance yet. You may be confusing my with Peter, who last time I heard, just started some type of correspondence with an Assryian bishop.

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #226 on: June 07, 2004, 01:09:45 AM »

I was planning on contacting an Assryian bishop, but haven't got the chance yet. You may be confusing my with Peter, who last time I heard, just started some type of correspondence with an Assryian bishop.

Wait a sec, in the thread I was asking you about, you said you had e-mailed the Assyrian bishop and I even quoted where you had said that. I don't think I've confused anything...

Remember that thin ice I was talking about?   Wink

In Christ,
Aaron

Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #227 on: June 07, 2004, 01:16:28 AM »

see the other thread....I explain what happened to the first email.

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #228 on: June 07, 2004, 01:33:29 AM »

see the other thread....I explain what happened to the first email.

I already checked it out and posted there in regards to it.

Sorry everyone clogging up this thread with all of this!

In Christ,
Aaron
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #229 on: June 07, 2004, 01:43:07 PM »

I already checked it out and posted there in regards to it.

Sorry everyone clogging up this thread with all of this!

In Christ,
Aaron

Yea sorry about that, we should get back on the topic, which was St. Malachy, which was off the topic anyway. Back to the fundamental dogmatic differences between east and west. Perhaps after 16 pages of posts, that topic is a little old.

smalltowngl

OC.net

« Reply #230 on: June 10, 2004, 11:05:19 AM »

This is my first post on this board, so I'm a newbie, but the original post struck a cord with me.  I'm not Orthodox yet, but I've contacted my local church and I'm in the process.  I truly feel like I've finally found my way home.  It's awesome.

Anyway, my husband is RC.  He's excited about my conversion to Orthodoxy because he thinks I'm getting closer to his faith.  He's contacted a friend of his who is an Eastern Rite Catholic.  His friend wants me visit their church.  He says I can get the best of both worlds.  I can have the Eastern Rite and be a part of the Catholic church.  They both truly believe that that's possible because the only real differences are in the Divine Liturgy lay out and not the actual dogma.  

It's so frustrating.  I don't know how I'm ever going to get him to understand that the Orthodox church is a lot different than the RC and that I'm NOT converting into Roman Catholicism.  

I just wanted to say that I feel your pain.  It's ever so frustrating to be thought of as something that you're truly not at all.
Amadeus
Elder

I'm a llama!

« Reply #231 on: June 10, 2004, 11:33:38 AM »

Dear SmallTownGL:

It's so frustrating.  I don't know how I'm ever going to get him to understand that the Orthodox church is a lot different than the RC and that I'm NOT converting into Roman Catholicism.

If you are patient enough to look into an Eastern Catholic Church (there are 22 in union with Rome), you will find that you are, indeed, NOT converting to Roman Catholicism.  The Latin Church is but one (the 1st or 23rd), although the largest,  in the universal and worldwide Catholic Communion.

Except for 2 (the Maronite Catholic Church and the Italo-Albanian Catholic Church), the 20 other Eastern Catholic Churches have their counterpart in the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox Churches. To us Roman Catholics, Eastern Catholics and their respective Orthodox counterparts are "the same" and they celebrate the same Divine Liturgy, with very minor differences.

Further, there is no "Orthodox Church" as one, single, institution, unlike the (Roman) Catholic Church with the Pope as chief and supreme hierarch. There are Orthodox Churches normally along national/ethnic lines as shown by the number of Eastern Catholic Churches.

However, I am not dissuading you from continuing your journey. This is your personal decision (and hopefully with the valued participation of your DH) and I respect it without reservations.  

Amado

Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #232 on: June 10, 2004, 11:44:41 AM »

[He's contacted a friend of his who is an Eastern Rite Catholic.  His friend wants me visit their church.  He says I can get the best of both worlds.  I can have the Eastern Rite and be a part of the Catholic church.]

As an Orthodox Catholic you will have the Eastern Rite and also be part of the Catholic Church.  You just won't be part of the papal (Catholic Church) and as such required to hold the dogma and doctrines of said church.  You will be part of the ancient One Holy CATHOLIC and Apostolic Church you profess belief in everytime you recite the Creed in its original form.  You will be part of that church that best describes St Vincent of Lerins definition of Catholic -

-----------

Also in the Catholic Church itself we take great care that we hold that which has been believed everywhere, always, by all. For that is truly and properly Catholic, as the very force and meaning of the word shows, which comprehends everything almost universally. And we shall observe this rule if we follow universality, antiquity, consent. We shall follow universality if we confess that one Faith to be true which the whole Church throughout the world confesses; antiquity if we in no wise depart from those interpretations which it is plain that our ancestors and fathers proclaimed; consent if in antiquity itself we eagerly follow the definitions and beliefs of all, or certainly nearly all, priests and doctors alike."

-----------

[They both truly believe that that's possible because the only real differences are in the Divine Liturgy lay out and not the actual dogma. ]

[ I don't know how I'm ever going to get him to understand that the Orthodox church is a lot different than the RC and that I'm NOT converting into Roman Catholicism. ]

Sounds like you already understand a lot more than either your husband or his 'Eastern Rite Catholic under Rome's authority'  friend does.  Especially about the faith you will uphold as an Orthodox Catholic.  A faith that is defined in its dogmas and doctrines and not based primarily on the ritual or traditions it practices.

Those in communion with the Pope are required by that very communion to accept both  his final authority  and the doctines and dogmas that he professes, upholds, and protects.  It's not what is on the outside that counts.  IT'S WHAT'S IN THE INSIDE.

Remember - 'If it walks with ducks, talks with ducks lives with ducks, sleeps with ducks, AND CALLS A DUCK ITS FATHER...then its gotta be a duck.  Even though it dresses like and pretends to be a peacock!

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #233 on: June 10, 2004, 11:50:46 AM »

Welcome to the forum, smalltowngl!
And to the Orthodox Catholic Church, hopefully.

It would seem you've done your "homework" already and understand the fundamental differences.

And Amado's post seems to perfectly illustrate your frustration Wink

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #234 on: June 10, 2004, 12:20:50 PM »

Dear SmallTownGL:

If you are patient enough to look into an Eastern Catholic Church (there are 22 in union with Rome), you will find that you are, indeed, NOT converting to Roman Catholicism.  The Latin Church is but one (the 1st or 23rd), although the largest,  in the universal and worldwide Catholic Communion.

Except for 2 (the Maronite Catholic Church and the Italo-Albanian Catholic Church), the 20 other Eastern Catholic Churches have their counterpart in the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox Churches. To us Roman Catholics, Eastern Catholics and their respective Orthodox counterparts are "the same" and they celebrate the same Divine Liturgy, with very minor differences.

Further, there is no "Orthodox Church" as one, single, institution, unlike the (Roman) Catholic Church with the Pope as chief and supreme hierarch. There are Orthodox Churches normally along national/ethnic lines as shown by the number of Eastern Catholic Churches.

However, I am not dissuading you from continuing your journey. This is your personal decision (and hopefully with the valued participation of your DH) and I respect it without reservations.  

Amado

This post comes very close to violating the no proselytism rule on OCnet.  She just said that she doesn't want to be a Roman Catholic and you try to say that she won't be becoming Roman Catholic by becoming Eastern Catholic. But they are under the same supreme authority my friend.

If she wanted to convert to Catholicism I am sure she could find plenty of primarily Catholic forums to investigate. This is a primarily Orthodox forum.  In the Orthodox-Catholic discussion folder debate is allowed but not blatant suggestions that someone should become an Eastern Catholic.

If someone were blatantly attacking RC beliefs or misrepresenting them, Amado, you would be well within your rights to respond. But that didn't happen.

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Amadeus
Elder

I'm a llama!

« Reply #235 on: June 10, 2004, 12:26:14 PM »

Orthodoc:

The "Vincentian canon,"  courtesy of St. Vincent of Lerins of France, is more aptly applied to the Catholic Church in this wise:

The Church is understood as Catholic in two senses.

The first is in the way that in her subsists the fullness of Christ's body united with its head.

Secondly, the Church is catholic because she has been sent by Christ on a mission to preach the Gospel to the whole of the human race.

Despite inserting the word "Catholic" repetitively in your description of the Orthodox Church(es), the various Churches in Orthodoxy, individually or as a group, fail to meet St. Vincent's definition of The Catholic Church.

There's only one Catholic Church.

Amado
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #236 on: June 10, 2004, 12:32:50 PM »

There's only one Catholic Church.

Amado

Yes, we know, Amado
The Holy Orthodox Catholic Church
Thanks for the reminder

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #237 on: June 10, 2004, 12:44:00 PM »

This thread is getting ridiculously long and confusing. I'm closing it.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #238 on: June 10, 2004, 12:44:20 PM »

If you want to start a thread on a subtopic described here be our* guest Smiley

(* the admins and mods)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 12:44:44 PM by anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Tags: Immaculate Conception 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: