OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 01:31:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New ROCOR Western-Rite Churches  (Read 1735 times) Average Rating: 0
LakaYaRabb

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« on: December 30, 2010, 12:01:54 AM »

I am trying to actually visit some a few of the new ROCOR Western-Rite Churches. However, I have had several problems actually making contact.

First off, is Hermitage of the Theotokos Icon Assuage My Sorrows at P.O. Box 301 Odessa, TX  9760-0301 even a functioning place? There is no contact info for the Clergy:  The Rev. Andrew F. McElvaney. I am driving past this place very soon and was really hoping to visit.

Second, I called Saint Michael and All Angels Orthodox Church at 15014 Beavers Run in San Antonio, TX 78217-1136 at the number listed, (210) 590-3533. A guy answered and said that it was a residence. There isn't a church at this number and google maps reveals that this address is in the middle of a residential complex area. It doesn't appear to ever have been a church. There website doesn't (and hasn't) worked for me.

Third, I called Saint Ambrose of Milan Orthodox Church in Putnam Valley, NY at the number listed, (914) 262-3019. No direct answer, just a voicemail.

Why is the info incorrect? Why can't I get ahold of anybody? Does anyone have any info on the hermitage in odessa or the Church in San Antonio? 
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 10:22:42 PM »

Happy MMXI !

Dear LakaYaRabb,

Fr Anthony (ex Archbishop Anthony Bondi) was appointed by Metropolitan Hilarion to be his vicar for this group of convert clergy.  I have let him know of your enquiry and he has been trying to make contactwith you.

But he says that you are uncontactable!

Message-id: 005301cba8fe$c2c82fd0$48588f70$@net
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 10:24:04 -0500
To: icxcv@yahoo.com
Subject: Response

Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:

Recipient address: icxcv@yahoo.com
Reason: SMTP transmission failure has occurred
Diagnostic code: smtp;554 delivery error: dd This user doesn't have a yahoo.com account (icxcv@yahoo.com)
  • - mta1265.mail.ac4.yahoo.com
Remote system: dns;k.mx.mail.yahoo.com (TCP|167.206.4.196|37648|98.139.54.60|25) (mta1265.mail.ac4.yahoo.com ESMTP YSmtp service ready)
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 10:28:53 PM »

Happy  MMXI !

Please post this for me…as I am not a member of the group.

Dear brother in Christ,

You recently posted this below…let me interpolate my responses…

I am trying to actually visit some a few of the new ROCOR Western-Rite Churches. However, I have had several problems actually making contact.

First off, is Hermitage of the Theotokos Icon Assuage My Sorrows at P.O. Box 301 Odessa, TX  9760-0301 even a functioning place? There is no contact info for the Clergy:  The Rev. Andrew F. McElvaney. I am driving past this place very soon and was really hoping to visit.

Father Andrew is  a hermit.

Second, I called Saint Michael and All Angels Orthodox Church at 15014 Beavers Run in San Antonio, TX 78217-1136 at the number listed, (210) 590-3533. A guy answered and said that it was a residence. There isn't a church at this number and google maps reveals that this address is in the middle of a residential complex area. It doesn't appear to ever have been a church. There website doesn't (and hasn't) worked for me.

That was the home number….Here is Archimandrite Michael’s cell phone/church number: (210) 861-3393

Third, I called Saint Ambrose of Milan Orthodox Church in Putnam Valley, NY at the number listed, (914) 262-3019. No direct answer, just a voicemail.

That is my cell phone number…which is always with me..you obviously didn’t leave a message because I am very diligent about returning my calls.

Why is the info incorrect? Why can't I get ahold of anybody? Does anyone have any info on the hermitage in odessa or the Church in San Antonio? 

If you give me your name and number I will be very happy to contact you.

Please understand that we all work for a living.

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 06:45:35 AM »

Father Andrew is  a hermit.

It's good to see strenghtening of ROCOR's WR monasticism. Many years to Fr. Andrew and may he attain the Kingdom of Heaven he's seeking!

That was the home number….Here is Archimandrite Michael’s cell phone/church number: (210) 861-3393

Sorry for stucking on minor detail, but isn't "Archmandrite" a Byzantine title?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 06:45:54 AM by Alpo » Logged
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 06:51:21 AM »

I was wondering earlier about WRITE monks who are styled as "hieromonks" - is that an apppropriate Latin Usage?
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 07:02:36 AM »

I was wondering earlier about WRITE monks who are styled as "hieromonks" - is that an apppropriate Latin Usage?

I have no idea. Present RCC usage is probably not the same as pre-Schism Orthodox usage but maybe some of our Latin Catholics in here could tell how's their monastic clergy is entitled.

Or maybe I should try to address some real problems and try not to attain encyclopedic knowledge of all WR things. Like carelessness in prayer or something. Tongue
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 07:04:54 AM by Alpo » Logged
LakaYaRabb

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 12:36:11 PM »

Dear brother in Christ,
That is my cell phone number…which is always with me..you obviously didn’t leave a message because I am very diligent about returning my calls.

Father Ambrose,

Thank you for relaying the messages of Father Anthony. I am very grateful to have a response. I realize that things are very busy for the new Western Ritr Churches, but am glad to have the confusion I had cleared up! I am excited to visit some of these Churches.

I also sent you a message with my contact info.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 05:47:53 PM »

Dear brother in Christ,

Father Ambrose,

Thank you for relaying the messages of Father Anthony. I am very grateful to have a response. I realize that things are very busy for the new Western Ritr Churches, but am glad to have the confusion I had cleared up! I am excited to visit some of these Churches.

I also sent you a message with my contact info.

My prayers.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
SubdeaconDavid
"...the spread of the light of Orthodoxy among the peoples of all the lands where our Church exists continues as an inseparable part of our mission": Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of ROCOR
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church Abroad (ROCOR)

Помилуй мя Боже, по велицей милости Твоей

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 03:11:56 AM »

If my memory serves me correct in another WR discussion a member who I imagine was in the Paruchia said that it was not eastern but Celtic.  I will try and find the reference.

Visit my blog@  http://orthodoxtasmania.blogspot.com

To the Russians abroad it has been granted to shine in the whole world  the light of Orthodoxy, so that other peoples, seeing their good deeds, might glorify our Father in Heaven, and thus obtain salvation
S John of Shanghai & San Francisco
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 03:31:37 AM »

If my memory serves me correct in another WR discussion a member who I imagine was in the Paruchia said that it was not eastern but Celtic.  I will try and find the reference.

I've looked through Uinseann O Maidin's "The Celtic Monk: Rules & Writings of Early Irish Monks."  Could not find anything.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: