OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 08:31:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "An Orthodox Future for Finland"  (Read 159 times) Average Rating: 0
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« on: July 07, 2014, 01:21:59 PM »

What do you think about this article?

http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/news/2014/07/an-orthodox-future-for-finland/

I have seen criticism of the finnish choice of calendar before, but this guy is extreme.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

(N.B. Ebullient not educated)

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 04:19:58 PM »

I can say this kind of article is the last thing an inquirer wants to see. I'm bemused by radical Russians' idea (evident from their various online resources) that potential converts want any part in such fights.

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 04:50:37 PM »

LOL that's not Uspenski Cathedral. I don't what church that is but certainly not Uspenski. I don't know who wrote that but apparently he/she can't use Google.

The author seem to know some facts about the Finnish church but he/she seem to have issues with EP which he/she imposes on us. I'd say don't lose your night sleep over the article.

He/she gets something right though. Many of the modern Finnish churches are frankly quite ugly and everybody I know agree with that. IIRC even nuns of the Lintula convent dislike their church. Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 05:10:57 PM by Alpo » Logged
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 07:59:58 PM »

The article is from the Orthodox England site. The articles on that site are getting increasingly ridiculous in their strident, almost fanatical Russophilia, and should be taken with a heap of salt.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 08:01:29 PM by LBK » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 08:04:40 PM »

LOL that's not Uspenski Cathedral. I don't what church that is but certainly not Uspenski. I don't know who wrote that but apparently he/she can't use Google.
I was wondering about that. I didn't recall the grounds being on such a plateau in the middle of the capital.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 08:05:30 PM »

The article is from the Orthodox England site. The articles on that site are getting increasingly ridiculous in their strident, almost fanatical Russophilia, and should be taken with a heap of salt.
an example of too much of a good thing.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

(N.B. Ebullient not educated)

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 08:32:39 PM »

If Russia was ever to be Third Rome, it was only because of preserving the spirit of the Fathers once Constantinople could no longer. So if there is a place in the world that will more perfectly preserve and nurture the spirit of the Fathers, then that is the place to which deserves to be the heart of the Church, and no other. Historical claims have real limits.

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: