OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 12:31:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Difficult Sayings of Jesus. New Book: Taught by God  (Read 2850 times) Average Rating: 0
danielf

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: December 28, 2010, 07:30:18 AM »

Hi all,

Just thought to let you know that Taught by God: Making Sense of the Difficult Sayings of Jesus has just been published, which essentially examines the most difficult sayings of Jesus through a unique synthesis of Orthodox theology, modern scholarship, rabbinic literature, and the early church Fathers. It essentially the most difficult of the questions asked of the Gospels and has been endorsed by two of the most respected Orthodox Biblical scholars, Fr. John Breck and Fr. Theodore Stylianopoulos.

I have copied some endorsements below as well as some book info. I think you will find it to be a worthy read. Check it out on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Taught-God-Making-Difficult-Sayings/dp/1933275502/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1293200347&sr=1-8. Or for more info see the publisher's website: http://www.orthodoxresearchinstitute.org/store/books/fanous_taught_by_god.html

Please also let me know your thoughts.

Thanks again, In Christ,

Daniel

Endorsements:

"Taught by God is well researched and speaks clearly and informatively to many of the most difficult aspects of the biblical witness ... students, clergy and lay people could all greatly benefit from a close reading of the book's arguments and the evidence provided to support them. Daniel Fanous draws a great many good and plausible conclusions regarding difficult passages, and has provided a highly useful tool for people who read Scripture in depth and find themselves troubled or perplexed by these passages."
--Very Rev. John Breck
Professor of Biblical Interpretation & Bioethics,
St. Sergius Orthodox Theological Institute, France.

"Fascinating and informative ... This book illuminates the background of Jesus' controversies with the Jewish religious leaders and makes Jesus' difficult sayings come alive for the modern reader. The author has done his homework and provides exciting insights into Jesus' ministry."
--Very Rev. Dr. Theodore Stylianopoulos
Professor of Orthodox Theology & New Testament,
Holy Cross Orthodox School of Theology, USA.

"It is heartening to see the treasures of Orthodoxy come together with modern biblical scholarship.... The encounter is fascinating and, for both Church and academy, full of promise."
--Dale C. Allison, Jr.
Errett M. Grable Professor of New Testament & Early Christianity,
Pittsburgh Theological Seminary, USA

Book Information:
Few would dispute that the sayings of Jesus were and are important. But though important, these very same sayings are difficult at best and incomprehensible at worst. Sayings like, "The kingdom of heaven suffers violence," or, "I did not come to bring peace but a sword," have confused readers of the Gospels for thousands of years. Others such as, "My Father is greater than I," and, "My God why have You forsaken Me?" have sparked theological infernos that have plagued Christianity from its beginnings. From the greatest theologians to the smallest child, the same question is always asked: What did Jesus really mean? In considering only the most difficult of the sayings of Jesus, Taught by God brings together the academic rigour of modern biblical scholarship and the profound wisdom of the early Church Fathers in a unique, lively, and dramatic synthesis.

Author Information:
Dr. Daniel Fanous is an independent scholar and is the author of the acclaimed The Person of the Christ (2008) as well as numerous articles. He has extensively studied and taught New Testament theology, as well as holding degrees in medicine and engineering.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 07:31:52 AM by danielf » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 07:51:37 AM »

Very intersting book, I will plan on purchasing this in the near future. Thank you!

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
danielf

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 04:52:18 PM »

Hi achronus,

Thanks for your reply. Let me know your thoughts when you get a chance to have a read!
danielf

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 04:49:08 AM »

For those you can now "look inside" the book on amazon, i.e. see a sample chapter:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1933275502/ref=oss_product
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 05:26:58 AM »

Thanks for the update Daniel, it was a very good read. I encourage others to take a look at the preview themselves.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 11:51:11 AM »

One of the monks at St. Nektarios Monastery (Roscoe, NY) told me that they plan on translating a book by St. Nektarios which also focuses on the difficult sayings of Jesus. I wonder how they would compare.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 11:51:32 AM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Fr.Kyrillos

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 01:51:47 PM »

Congratulations Daniel! I have it on my Amazon wish list Smiley

God bless,
Fr. Kyrillos
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 10:02:43 PM »

I have it on my Amazon wish list Smiley

God bless,
Fr. Kyrillos

Me, too.   Smiley  It's going to be good!

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 10:22:16 PM »

I have it on my Amazon wish list Smiley

God bless,
Fr. Kyrillos

Me, too.   Smiley  It's going to be good!

Me, three.

I'm going to need this.
danielf

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 12:10:42 AM »

Hi all,

Thanks for having a look! I would be interested in seeing the work by St. Nektarios. Please let me know about this. I know that Eusebius had a work concerning the "Difficult Gospel Questions" which will be translated by Roger Pearse and released within the month? It will be an interesting read.

I look forward to any comments!
danielf

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 01:25:47 AM »

Just thought I would let you all know about a positive review of the book, on Fr. Ted Bobosh's blog. See below:

http://frted.wordpress.com/2011/02/12/book-review-taught-by-god/

If anyone else has some feedback please me know!
Tags: difficult sayings  Jesus  orthodoxy  Historical Jesus  New Testament  biblical 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: