OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 10:01:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hinduism is the oldest philosophy  (Read 1833 times) Average Rating: 0
Dnarmist

Seems Uncertain

« on: December 27, 2010, 06:18:49 PM »

There many various Eastern philosophies and religions that have similar ideas and concepts. The ground for all these ideas chiefly comes from Hinduism, which is considered to be the oldest known philosophy in the world. Hinduism appeared in India, which is said to be one of the oldest cultures in the world, from antique texts known as Vedas or the book of wisdom. These ancient texts which include ancient hymns and rituals are said by many people to have the essence of Hindu thought. As Hinduism moved east, various interpretations of its ideas were evolved into other philosophies. Consequently, such philosophies as Confucianism, Buddhism and Taoism, certainly among others, have a lot of similar cultural characteristic features and ideas. One major cultural feature that truly reveals the way that Easterners or more particularly Hindus think is haiku poetry.

Haiku poetry is thoughtful poems that valorize nature, contrasts and color. Haiku usually consist of three lines and seventeen syllables and are divided in five, seven, five structures. These poems must reflect a moment, impression or sensation of a peculiar fact of nature. Bill Higginson believes that the main purpose of reading or writing Haiku poems consists in sharing moments of people’s lives which have moved us, experience and perception that we give or get as gifts. This is the major purpose for all art if looking at the deepest level.

Basho is a famous Eastern poet who once wrote Haiku poem; he lived from 1644 to 1694. This poem when translated into English sounds as follows:

When I look carefully

I see the nazuna blooming

By the hedge!

It is possible that Basho was just walking along a road when he saw something behind the hedge. He came closer, to take a good look at that thing hiding behind the hedge, and he understood that it was just a wild plant, something that wouldn’t usually be noticed by passers-by.
http://www.articlesbase.com/religion-articles/hinduism-the-oldest-philosophy-in-the-world-212592.html
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 06:31:17 PM »

So much of contemporary Hindu thought arose in the first millennia AD. Hinduism might inherit from the religion of the Vedas, but it is by no means identical and all in all, "Hinduism" seems a recent phenomenon, certainly not the oldest religion in the world. Furthermore, even the Vedas and Upanishads that Hinduism points to show a succession of religious beliefs, from the early emphasis on horse sacrifice and drinking soma to the more abstract philosophy of later texts.

As for the connection of Hinduism to haiku, the author seems completely batty.

EDIT: Hey, that linked article is just a veiled advertisement for custom paper writing services for uni students. Hasn't OC.net seen a problem with this kind of spam recently? Give us some assurances your account hasn't been taken over or something, Dnarmist. :-)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 06:35:26 PM by CRCulver » Logged
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 06:34:58 PM »

"One major cultural feature that truly reveals the way that Easterners or more particularly Hindus think is haiku poetry."

Really?  In all my years of studying Hindus and Taoists, I would never have come to that conclusion.  I didn't think that the haiku was at all popular in India until the 20th Century, and then only after becoming popular in the Western world.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Dnarmist

Seems Uncertain

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 06:43:13 PM »

Sorry if the link was seen as an advertisment, I thought it was interesting it is considered the oldest philosophy according to the article.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 08:39:28 PM »

Sorry if the link was seen as an advertisment, I thought it was interesting it is considered the oldest philosophy according to the article.
The Jains would argue that their philosophy pre-dated the Vedas. The Hindu emphasis on non-violence, or ahimsa, most likely developed due to Jain influence: the Vedas speak of the sacrifice of living organisms to Deity, but later forms of Vedic religion rejected animal sacrifice (for the most part). It is believed that the Siddhartha Gautama practiced Jainist yoga, before going off and establishing Buddhism.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 08:42:27 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: