OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 03:35:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "sola scriptura"...is there salvation there?  (Read 952 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: January 22, 2011, 12:14:34 AM »

I was just wondering soething I haven't before...

so many "non-denominational" churches say that there is no salvation in ancient traditions, and you only need the Bible.

is there hope for salvation when one never attends anything liturgical, but just a rather distorted Bible study?  it can't be good for your soul.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 12:48:07 AM »

so many "non-denominational" churches say that there is no salvation in ancient traditions, and you only need the Bible.

The Bible is an ancient Tradition.

is there hope for salvation when one never attends anything liturgical, but just a rather distorted Bible study?  it can't be good for your soul.

I believe there is hope for savation for everyone, but I guess it would depend on whether one is being brought closer to or farther from Christ. If someone (coming from a liturgical background) rejects liturgical worship as dead and considers a bible study to be real worship (which it's not), then I would consider it to be very dangerous.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 12:55:12 AM »

I believe there is hope for savation for everyone, but I guess it would depend on whether one is being brought closer to or farther from Christ. If someone (coming from a liturgical background) rejects liturgical worship as dead and considers a bible study to be real worship (which it's not), then I would consider it to be very dangerous.
I see.  I knew I had a reason to pray for my friends.  but, I guess that it's better that they "found Jesus" then reject Him.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 12:55:53 AM by trevor72694 » Logged

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 12:08:22 PM »

We have no such push button recipe. It is not a question of ever attending a Liturgy like going up for an alter call.

Orthodox Christian worship is about transfiguring your soul and body to the likeness of Christ. it is the best way to do that.

Are there other ways to transform? Probably. What of a Protestant who has great love of God, spends hours early each morning reading and meditating on Scripture and who spends his life is the service of others.   Are you ready to condemn him? I'm not.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
DennyB

Moving Toward Orthodoxy

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 06:06:35 PM »

is there hope for salvation when one never attends anything liturgical, but just a rather distorted Bible study?  it can't be good for your soul.

I would use this analogy,does reading a book on carpentry make one a carpenter,or does actually participating in carpentry work make one a carpenter? I think the later holds more weight. I can't understand why Protestants can't see this it's common sense.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 06:07:12 PM by DennyB » Logged
DennyB

Moving Toward Orthodoxy

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 06:12:31 PM »

is there hope for salvation when one never attends anything liturgical, but just a rather distorted Bible study?  it can't be good for your soul.

You have some good points!  I am a former Protestant seeking to join with an Orthodox Church,but current circumstances and location prevent me from doing such. I feel like someone stuck in some remote corner of the Earth,alone and secluded. I pray the Lord will change my current situation. I pray He will save me,despite my circumstances.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 06:15:04 PM by DennyB » Logged
freddief

Faith: Christian

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 07:22:51 PM »

"And that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus" ----2 Timothy 3:15, OSB
Melodist
Archon

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 09:09:16 PM »

"And that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus" ----2 Timothy 3:15, OSB

You forgot to read verses 10-14.

But you have carefully followed my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, love, perseverance, persecutions, afflictions, which happened to me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra—what persecutions I endured. And out of them all the Lord delivered me. Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution. But evil men and impostors will grow worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived. But you must continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of, knowing from whom you have learned them,

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 09:09:25 AM »

The answer is always the same when your question begins with something like "Is there salvation for...". That answer is "maybe" Wink
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 09:09:58 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 09:39:39 AM »

is there hope for salvation when one never attends anything liturgical, but just a rather distorted Bible study? 

Perhaps I am just reiterating what others are saying, but there is hope for salvation for everyone through the Church.  Those who are in the true Church have only to live out fully what they have received and what they have been taught, which is nevertheless very difficult.  For those outside of the Church, we must pray that they enter the Church, the Ark of Salvation for the salvation of their souls, and leave the rest to God.  While a Bible study does not save the soul, God may even use a Protestant Bible Study to lead a person to the Orthodox Church.  Even in a distorted religion, God can lead a person to the truth by helping him see the falsehood that he is in.  This doesn't make the distorted religion salvific, but God may use it to lead a man to salvation.
freddief

Faith: Christian

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 01:57:02 PM »

But you have carefully followed my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, love, perseverance, persecutions, afflictions, which happened to me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra—what persecutions I endured. And out of them all the Lord delivered me. Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution. But evil men and impostors will grow worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived. But you must continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of, knowing from whom you have learned them,
I don't understand this.  Are you suggesting that Paul's doctrine, manner of life etc were somehow seperate from the scriptures?  I think you will find that the people in Berea, for instance, did not just take Paul's word for it, but carefully checked in the scriptures to verify everything he taught them.  That way they knew he was not the kind of  evil man, imposter or deceiver he warned Timothy against
Melodist
Archon

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 03:05:31 PM »

I don't understand this.  Are you suggesting that Paul's doctrine, manner of life etc were somehow seperate from the scriptures?  I think you will find that the people in Berea, for instance, did not just take Paul's word for it, but carefully checked in the scriptures to verify everything he taught them.  That way they knew he was not the kind of  evil man, imposter or deceiver he warned Timothy against

What I saying is that Timothy understood scripture within the context of and according to Paul's doctrine, manner of life, etc. There are thousands of people who use scripture to teach every deviation away from truth. Timothy understood the scripture as he had been taught by Paul, who understood it as he had been taught by Christ. Timothy didn't just read scripture and say "this means whatever I think it does or want it to". Timothy's doctrine had to conform to Paul's and could not stray from what he had been taught.

To suggest that anyone can just pick up a Bible and understand perfectly just by reading it, is to deny the importance of discipleship stressed in the NT. Disciples weren't just given books and told "this is your only guide and everything you need", they had to be taught and hold on to what they had been taught.

John 5:38-40
But you do not have His word abiding in you, because whom He sent, Him you do not believe. You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: