OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 02:27:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: cremation or donating to science...  (Read 697 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« on: December 27, 2010, 02:07:05 PM »

my dad has told me that, when he dies he wasnts either to be cremated and have his ashes scattered over a mountain, or that he's donating his body to science.

the thing is, he's in the process of joining the Church.

when he does pass away, what should be done?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 02:39:50 PM »

my dad has told me that, when he dies he wasnts either to be cremated and have his ashes scattered over a mountain, or that he's donating his body to science.

If he dies as a catechumen or communicant, he should submit to the funeral practices of the Church. However, you can't force this on him; it's up to him to accept or reject it.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 03:04:51 PM »

Cremation is not approved by the Church. IDK what about donating body for students.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 04:21:57 PM »

If he dies as a catechumen or communicant, he should submit to the funeral practices of the Church. However, you can't force this on him; it's up to him to accept or reject it.

I think the question is more on funeral practices of the EO church and what is acceptable, such as if cremation is acceptable, like wise donating ones body to science will end up in cremation (my wife's father donated his body to science and he was cremated when they were done studying his remains).

But I do agree that if he joins the Church then he should submit to the funeral practices therein, but you can't make him.

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 04:59:19 PM »

Cremation is not approved by the Church. IDK what about donating body for students.

I know a number of fervently Orthodox medical students here in Romania who have never even questioned the use of cadavers in medical teaching until I brought it up. They attend a small university parish led by a charismatic young priest who, well, has rather creepy control over most aspects of their life. If Orthodoxy was really against this, you'd think they would be told. Perhaps Orthodox are forbidden from donating their bodies, but it could be that the deceased wasn't Orthodox anyway.
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 05:11:17 PM »

It is my (unconfirmed) understanding that at least here in Canada, the body of a deceased person belongs to the next of kin. Even requests for disposition of the body in a will won't necessarily guarantee the wishes of the deceased, since it's not unusual for a will to be consulted until after the funeral. However unless all members of the family are in agreement to go against the wishes of the deceased, trouble will certainly be in store. In my opinion, it isn't good to go against the wishes of the deceased without a valid reason.

Just to clarify: I do support the Orthodox stand on respectful treatment of the body after death, including burial.

Trevor, during your father's catechumenate, you should try to find a gentle way to be sure that these matters are included in his studies.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 05:36:06 PM »

I know a number of fervently Orthodox medical students here in Romania who have never even questioned the use of cadavers in medical teaching until I brought it up. They attend a small university parish led by a charismatic young priest who, well, has rather creepy control over most aspects of their life. If Orthodoxy was really against this, you'd think they would be told. Perhaps Orthodox are forbidden from donating their bodies, but it could be that the deceased wasn't Orthodox anyway.

Isn't that a bit of a double standard?

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 06:50:54 PM »

RC opinion on this was moved to Orthodox-Catholic Discussion.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 06:51:08 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
KFLINT

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 06:56:53 PM »

RC opinion on this was moved to Orthodox-Catholic Discussion.

Some what confused here, you moved me to http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,32420.0.html

HOWEVER to OP is from trevor72694, Faith: Orthodox Christian, why pump a comment should not all comments directly related stay within context and or the entire post be moved?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 07:01:34 PM »

In the rules there is clearly stated that if you want to ask about moderator's decision you should do this via private message and not publicly.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
KFLINT

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 07:06:10 PM »

The question of cremation has been placed before the Orthodox Church and Orthodox theological thought, it has invariably been resolved in a manner unfavorable to the question, although there has been no direct decision by the entire Church {NOT VATICAN} on this matter to date. However, if there are not explicit canons condemning the cremation of the bodies of the dead.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 07:11:15 PM by KFLINT » Logged
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 07:14:34 PM »

They attend a small university parish led by a charismatic young priest who, well, has rather creepy control over most aspects of their life.
So is his brother, if we are talking about the same priest. Only that he's in a different city, "persecuted" by the bishop.
Tags: death funeral practices cremation 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: