OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 02:07:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems inputting response  (Read 1608 times) Average Rating: 0
Mardukm
Elder

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« on: December 27, 2010, 01:22:49 AM »

From the response page, I start typing my response, but when my response gets beyond the limits of the viewport (that ~1" x 5" input screen), the text keeps jumping up and down.  What I mean is that the viewport isn't synchronizing with my typing. The cursor remains where I am typing, but the view keeps jumping back to the point where the text limit was reached for the viewport.

I've gotten in the habit of using a separate text editor and then just cutting and pasting, but it is so time-consuming to type in formatting tags.

IE7 is my browser.  I participate in several forums on the I-net, and this is the only one that has this problem (for me, anyway), so I suspect it's not my browser.

Thanks for your responses.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 01:25:22 AM »

I have been having the same problem! And I too only have it on this forum. Is it my computer or something wrong with OC.net? Glad you asked this question, and I hope someone can help us out here.

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 01:33:40 AM »

Refer to this thread: Browser Issues

There are a couple of solutions:

1.  Upgrade to Internet Explorer 8 (or IE 9 Beta) and Enable Compatibility Mode
2.  Install Mozilla Firefox
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 01:50:43 AM »

If one Writes a Response Above the Quotes, it doesn't jump around...But if one writes below 2 or 3 quotes or even 1 long Quote  it jumps Around for some reason...... Grin

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 02:40:27 AM »

If one Writes a Response Above the Quotes, it doesn't jump around...But if one writes below 2 or 3 quotes or even 1 long Quote  it jumps Around for some reason...... Grin

Yes, that's what I experience. So I'm going to try what you say and write above the quotes. I wondered why some people did that; now I know. Thanks Stashko.

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 02:51:49 AM »

Or you could just use FireFox! That's what I did.

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 03:03:16 AM »

Im a real User Fan of Internet Explore...I Prefer it over all the other Browsers..... Grin even with this bit of problem...

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 03:15:11 AM »

I find it odd that IE7 is having these problems, since the IE8 compatibility mode just renders a page as IE7 would have.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 03:22:41 AM »

IE 8  has this problem ,I E 7 never had the problem....

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 03:23:35 AM »

Im a real User Fan of Internet Explore...I Prefer it over all the other Browsers..... Grin even with this bit of problem...

Stashko....

A heads Up....

I just discovered in internet Explorer 8 to keep everything from jumping around when trying to post..Click on tools and check In private browsing ,that stopped the jumping and the messages that said session has timed out  ,try logging out and in again......So far it works for me....

Internet Explorer 9 is in Beta.  Give it a shot and let us know if IE 9 fixes the issues.   Grin

I have no problem now that i put my internet 8 Browser in Private mode it works fine now.....No jumping or whatever..

If you're still having the same issue with IE8, what has changed since October?   Huh
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 03:27:25 AM »

Mardukm says IE7 is the source of his problem.  Either it is a mistype, or a new problem unrelated to the IE8 one.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 03:32:01 AM »

Ill write above the quote box, like this ,,or just reply no quotes... Grin

Stashko....

A heads Up....

I just discovered in internet Explorer 8 to keep everything from jumping around when trying to post..Click on tools and check In private browsing ,that stopped the jumping and the messages that said session has timed out  ,try logging out and in again......So far it works for me....

Internet Explorer 9 is in Beta.  Give it a shot and let us know if IE 9 fixes the issues.   Grin

I have no problem now that i put my internet 8 Browser in Private mode it works fine now.....No jumping or whatever..

If you're still having the same issue with IE8, what has changed since October?   Huh
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 03:33:05 AM by stashko » Logged

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 03:54:11 AM »

Mardukm says IE7 is the source of his problem.  Either it is a mistype, or a new problem unrelated to the IE8 one.

Could be the security updates that are cause of this...

Mardukm
Elder

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 05:53:07 AM »

Good advice for short responses, but not for long responses, especially if one wants to respond to specific portions.

I did some testing on that advice, and discovered something:

There appears to be a <return> code for the viewport about three lines beyond the limits of the viewport.  The <return> code can be moved down if one starts typing before it.  But the closer you get to the <return> code while typing, the synchronization becomes worse and worse.

It appears that when a user types anything in the viewport, the user is not actually typing into a viewport object, but rather typing into the code itself?

Is there any way for the techies in this website to fix this?

It appears to be a matter of removing or revising one simple conditional statement in the code.

As others have noted, this does not seem to happen in other websites.

If one Writes a Response Above the Quotes, it doesn't jump around...But if one writes below 2 or 3 quotes or even 1 long Quote  it jumps Around for some reason...... Grin

Yes, that's what I experience. So I'm going to try what you say and write above the quotes. I wondered why some people did that; now I know. Thanks Stashko.

Selam

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 05:54:28 AM by Mardukm » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, 11:36:46 PM »

This is still a problem Wink

"No man gives the same exegesis twice: for he is not the same man, and it is not the same text." - St. Heraclitus
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 11:44:59 PM »

I still don't have enough help  Cool

I was provided with a possible workaround, but I am waiting on the software we run the forum on to be upgraded. There was some infighting on that team that has set things back. I won't install a subpar product until it's resolved. Sorry for the inconvenience in the meanwhile.

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Saint Iaint
This Poster Has Ignored Multiple Requests to Behave Better
High Elder

Faith: Once Delivered

The Truth Shall Be Reviled

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 03:58:51 AM »

Firefox - all the way!

Use it for a couple of days and you'll never go back...

OR if you're really stuck on IE, as has already been mentioned... just switch Internet Explorer into 'Compatibility Mode' which will also solve this issue...

The button for 'Compatibility Mode' is here:

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute...

Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith, not giving heed to Jewish fables and commandments of men who turn from the truth.
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 10:32:33 AM »

From the response page, I start typing my response, but when my response gets beyond the limits of the viewport (that ~1" x 5" input screen), the text keeps jumping up and down.  What I mean is that the viewport isn't synchronizing with my typing. The cursor remains where I am typing, but the view keeps jumping back to the point where the text limit was reached for the viewport.

I've gotten in the habit of using a separate text editor and then just cutting and pasting, but it is so time-consuming to type in formatting tags.

IE7 is my browser.  I participate in several forums on the I-net, and this is the only one that has this problem (for me, anyway), so I suspect it's not my browser.

Thanks for your responses.

I've had this problem for a while now, I thought it was the computer at work.  Its doing it to me right now...this jumping screen is making me seasick...lol   Shocked

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 09:42:14 AM »

I still don't have enough help  Cool

I was provided with a possible workaround, but I am waiting on the software we run the forum on to be upgraded. There was some infighting on that team that has set things back. I won't install a subpar product until it's resolved. Sorry for the inconvenience in the meanwhile.
Based on their development track record with 2.0, it wouldn't surprise me if the final version went live in 2012.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 02:40:36 PM »

If you are not using Chrome for 90% of your web browsing. Safari for 100% for your serious web reading. FF for the other stuff. You're crazy.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 09:31:50 PM »

Microsoft's inability to produce a decent web browser always amazes me.  I use Arora mostly, which has a rather small develoment base, yet it can pass the Acid3 and is on par with most other browsers.

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2011, 02:59:50 AM »

Update:

Internet Explorer 9 Release Candidate addresses the "jumping issue."

If you ask me, IE 9 looks eerily like Firefox 4 (still in beta, ver. 11)   Huh

I can scroll up and down while composing a post without any "jumping."   Smiley

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit, with all updates....
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2011, 03:06:51 AM »

I'll Pass On Nine Explorer, Didn't like it, took it out.........I'll stick with 7 Or 8 for now....

Update:

Internet Explorer 9 Release Candidate addresses the "jumping issue."

If you ask me, IE 9 looks eerily like Firefox 4 (still in beta, ver. 11)   Huh

I can scroll up and down while composing a post without any "jumping."   Smiley

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit, with all updates....

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2011, 03:45:07 PM »

I'll Pass On Nine Explorer, Didn't like it, took it out.........I'll stick with 7 Or 8 for now....

IE9 RC flips images vertically.  That's why it is a release candidate, lol.   Smiley

Now I have: Chrome 9, Firefox 3.6, Safari 5, Opera 11.01 & Arora....
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2011, 06:50:02 PM »

Why on Earth one could need 5 browsers?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2011, 12:19:59 AM »

Why on Earth one could need 5 browsers?

Storage is cheap.   Wink
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: