OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 01:45:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about Copes  (Read 2024 times) Average Rating: 0
samkim
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« on: December 26, 2010, 07:16:40 PM »

Okay, so I notice that there are two different kinds of copes, one that just looks like a cape, and another kind with a "stiff neck," sort of like a Russian Phelonion. Are they distinguished with any terminology? What are "stiff-necked" copes actually called? I notice many Anglicans use the "stiff-necked" ones, while the flat ones seem more common with Roman Catholic churchmen.

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 10:58:50 PM »

Are you thinking of the chasuble and the cope?  The cope oftentimes has a stiff neck, whereas the chasuble lays flat.  Roman Catholic priests wear the chasuble during the mass.  Anglicans priests sometimes wear the cope instead of the chasuble during the mass, which is not allowed for according to Roman rubrics.  I have seen some flat copes, but from what I understand, those are relatively new.  I think they are ugly.  Sorry if I didn't answer your question.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 11:07:54 PM by Ionnis » Logged

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 11:53:34 PM »

Working from Beryl Dean here, one of the more important vestment designers of the last century: At the end of the middle ages the cope unfolded into a semicircle and the orphreys (that is, the bands along the front edges) became increasingly wide and stiff. The result of forcing this into the shape of a cloak was a conical garment which the bishop stood inside almost like a teepee. At the same time the hood unfolded into a decorative flap. People who want to assert Tradition prefer that form, but the tendency has been for it to revert to being properly cloak-shaped and for the hood to be formed as such.

The chasuble is different: it is always formed with a hole in the center for the head. Again, after the middle ages the sides of the chasuble tended to disappear to free the arms for elevations, so that you ended up with the "fiddleback" form with a rectangle on the back and a cutaway shape on the front. The more modern form evolved separately from the Gothic form (which was indeed more or less conical but which was joined up the front, unlike the cope) and which tended to flatten out until it became a flat circle. There are names for the different chasuble forms, but not for the copes.
samkim
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 06:00:11 PM »

Are you thinking of the chasuble and the cope?  The cope oftentimes has a stiff neck, whereas the chasuble lays flat.  Roman Catholic priests wear the chasuble during the mass.  Anglicans priests sometimes wear the cope instead of the chasuble during the mass, which is not allowed for according to Roman rubrics.  I have seen some flat copes, but from what I understand, those are relatively new.  I think they are ugly.  Sorry if I didn't answer your question.

No, I know what chasubles are. I'm talking about copes.

"Stiff-necked"

Flat:
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 06:05:26 PM by samkim » Logged

samkim
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 06:08:42 PM »

Working from Beryl Dean here, one of the more important vestment designers of the last century: At the end of the middle ages the cope unfolded into a semicircle and the orphreys (that is, the bands along the front edges) became increasingly wide and stiff. The result of forcing this into the shape of a cloak was a conical garment which the bishop stood inside almost like a teepee. At the same time the hood unfolded into a decorative flap. People who want to assert Tradition prefer that form, but the tendency has been for it to revert to being properly cloak-shaped and for the hood to be formed as such.

The chasuble is different: it is always formed with a hole in the center for the head. Again, after the middle ages the sides of the chasuble tended to disappear to free the arms for elevations, so that you ended up with the "fiddleback" form with a rectangle on the back and a cutaway shape on the front. The more modern form evolved separately from the Gothic form (which was indeed more or less conical but which was joined up the front, unlike the cope) and which tended to flatten out until it became a flat circle. There are names for the different chasuble forms, but not for the copes.

I wonder why the chasuble's/phelonion's equivalent vestment among the Syrians and Armenians resembles more a cope.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 06:12:01 PM by samkim » Logged

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 12:02:32 PM »

I wonder why the chasuble's/phelonion's equivalent vestment among the Syrians and Armenians resembles more a cope.

I love Syrian vestments!

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 03:16:43 PM »

Why is the syrian/indian priest wearing a different stole that resembles a latin one, and the other priests on his right and left are wearing the Orthodox Looking One....... Huh
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 03:27:33 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
samkim
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 04:40:03 PM »

Why is the syrian/indian priest wearing a different stole that resembles a latin one, and the other priests on his right and left are wearing the Orthodox Looking One....... Huh

I think I accidentally found a picture of a Syriac Catholic priest instead of Syriac Orthodox. No matter, his phayno (phelonion/chasuble/cope) is the same as a Syriac Orthodox phayno.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 04:41:00 PM by samkim » Logged

Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 07:06:36 PM »

Samkin, of the two examples you show the top one would be considered a more traditionalist version, the second more modern in form. I found one place describing the modern cut as "French" but I think they are making this term up, as none of the others use it that I can see.
Dewi Sant

Faith: Christian

Saint David of Wales, Pray for Us!

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 10:47:57 PM »

Perhaps, like Russia, Britain is colder than Rome and it is more comfortable for the priest to have the extra warmth round the neck. Just a theory.

Of course, the priest ought to change into a chasuble before Mass.
I do have to wonder therefore quite why the cope is worn in church at all, surely it is an outdoor vestment.

"Guide me, O thou great Redeemer, pilgrim through this barren land."
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

St. Hripsimeh pray for us!

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 11:05:46 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Dewi Sant

Faith: Christian

Saint David of Wales, Pray for Us!

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 11:44:52 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you!   Grin

So pleased to see a forum(ette) dedicated to the Western Rite.

"Guide me, O thou great Redeemer, pilgrim through this barren land."
orthophys7

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Malankara Orthodox

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 10:16:27 AM »

The picture above shows the priest celebrating his first divine liturgy after being ordained as priest.  In the tradition of the Syriac Orthodox Church, only on the day of ordination/priest's first celebrated liturgy, the ordaining bishop takes the orarion from the candidates left shoulder (as a full deacon) then places the orarion around the neck so that the ends hang in front, similar to a garland -- at this point it serves as a priest's stole -- think of it as a visible transition from the diaconate to the priesthood.  Then the priest vests with the belt, sleeves, and cope. 

In other words, when you see a Syriac Orthodox priest wearing an orarion as a priest's stole, a very good chance that the priest just got ordained!  After the priest serves his first divine liturgy, then the normal style stole is worn (the style which the priests flanking the celebrant are wearing).
Regnare

Faith: Inquiring into Orthodoxy

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 03:35:41 PM »

Both kinds of cope are used by both Anglicans and Catholics; I've seen a lot more of the high-collared ones by both denominations and a few of the other ones by both.

"To believe [the Paraclete] when you wish it, and then disbelieve him when you wish it, is to believe nobody but yourself." --St. Augustine, Contra Faustum XXXII.16
Tags: vestments 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: