OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 05:37:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Declaration of Human Sovereignty Regarding ExtraTerrestrial Contact  (Read 1142 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: December 26, 2010, 05:32:49 PM »

Very interesting, to say the least: Shocked  I think Fr. Seraphim Rose shared some similar concerns about extra-terrestrials/UFOs.

"We, the People of Earth, extend greetings to all races in the Greater Community of the Universe. We acknowledge our common heritage before the Creator of all the Universe, both visible and invisible. We declare the planet Earth as humanity’s Planet of Genesis, our Homeworld, and our sacred inheritance. We pledge henceforth to sustain and preserve the Earth for all generations to come. We call upon all humanity to treat all races everywhere with wisdom and justice, here on Earth and throughout the Universe.
We demand that all extraterrestrials now cease all operations and activities and immediately vacate and depart from the Earth and its surroundings including the Sun, Earth’s Moon, and all planets of this Solar System. This includes vacating any natural or artificial satellites, as well as all space within the Solar System.

We demand that all extraterrestrial organizations who have established or operated bases on the Earth, its Moon, or anywhere else within this Solar System, dismantle these bases and fully disclose their nature.
Be it known throughout the Universe that from this time forward, extraterrestrials may only enter our Solar System, approach our Earth, fly in our skies, set foot on our soil, or enter our waters with the explicit consent of the People of Earth."

« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 05:42:58 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 05:35:48 PM »

Why on earth did you bother to post this?
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 05:43:52 PM »

Why on earth
Nice pun.  Grin
did you bother to post this?
Didn't Fr. Seraphim Rose write a book on the dangers of UFOs?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 05:44:34 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 05:52:26 PM »

I don't recall that the Human Sovereignty Working Group has ever asked for my input  Cheesy. I wonder how it will be ratified by humanity, and not just an obscure elite group. I'm also curious about how it will be enforced.

It also sounds as though we humans commit ourselves to remaining within the confines of our Solar System. Didn't I just read in the news somewhere that there's some sort of interplanetary space vehicle, launched in the 1970s, that is about to leave our Solar System? Bit of a conflict there.

And I must amend PoorFoolNicholas's question to read, "Why did you post this in the 'religious topics' forum?
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 05:55:24 PM »

extraterrestrials may only enter our Solar System.... with the explicit consent of the People of Earth."

Awfully presumptuous of us to lay claim to the ENTIRE solar system. 

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 06:01:08 PM »

And I must amend PoorFoolNicholas's question to read, "Why did you post this in the 'religious topics' forum?
One of the virtues of religion is being hospitable to the stranger, the foreigner in your midst, "stranger in a strange land", and such. By denying aliens the right to visit our planet without our permission, are we violating the Gospel?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 06:02:05 PM »

Probably one of the best sites ever.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 06:05:29 PM »

If I were an alien reading this, I would probably say, "just who do these arrogant a-holes think they are?"
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 06:06:36 PM »

If I were an alien reading this, I would probably say, "just who do these arrogant a-holes think they are?"

"Fire the Death Ray!"

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 06:06:57 PM »

One of the virtues of religion is being hospitable to the stranger, the foreigner in your midst, "stranger in a strange land", and such. By denying aliens the right to visit our planet without our permission, are we violating the Gospel?

Well, it's just good manners, isn't it?  It's okay to visit, just give us a ring first.  

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 06:22:35 PM »

There's also the possibility that the anti-Christ (if Revelation is interpreted to be pointing towards a still-future event) will be alien-related. Aliens bearing gifts of awesome technology (such as that which might cure cancer, or regenerate limbs) would serve as very likely candidates for a "new God".

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 06:24:54 PM »

There's also the possibility that the anti-Christ (if Revelation is interpreted to be pointing towards a still-future event) will be alien-related. Aliens bearing gifts of awesome technology (such as that which might cure cancer, or regenerate limbs) would serve as very likely candidates for a "new God".

I've heard many people boldly assert that the anti-christ will be an alien from outer-space bringing forth all kinds of new technology and the like.
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 06:29:49 PM »

Heh.

Too many 'V' commercials have been flying around.
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 02:19:28 AM »

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 11:40:03 PM »

extraterrestrials may only enter our Solar System.... with the explicit consent of the People of Earth."

That's what I was thinking.  I mean, we could certainly say that the Earth belongs to humanity, and maybe even that the moon does.  But to claim the whole solar system does seem rather presumptuous. 

Plus, if aliens are out there (and against all the odds have technology that can bring them to Earth, given how fast they would have to be going - unless they are extremely long lived), I don't see why we have any right to prevent them from entering Earth without the permission of humanity.  Besides the fact that to force them to get all of humanity's permission (or even just of its governments) is absurd since Russia has no right to keep anyone out of America, can anyone on Earth really claim to own the oceans and to therefore have a right to keep aliens out of them?  Or does anyone own Antarctica and have a right to keep aliens out of it?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 12:05:07 AM »

That's what I was thinking.  I mean, we could certainly say that the Earth belongs to humanity, and maybe even that the moon does.  But to claim the whole solar system does seem rather presumptuous. 

Plus, if aliens are out there (and against all the odds have technology that can bring them to Earth, given how fast they would have to be going - unless they are extremely long lived), I don't see why we have any right to prevent them from entering Earth without the permission of humanity.  Besides the fact that to force them to get all of humanity's permission (or even just of its governments) is absurd since Russia has no right to keep anyone out of America, can anyone on Earth really claim to own the oceans and to therefore have a right to keep aliens out of them?  Or does anyone own Antarctica and have a right to keep aliens out of it?

For all we know they were here first... Ancient Alien theory anybody? Sorry I've watched the History Channel too much lately...

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 12:13:01 AM »

It's exceptionally crass, seeing as that the Earth is really just a game preserve for the Predators...
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 12:23:27 AM »

http://www.archive.org/details/OrsonWellesMrBruns
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 12:49:05 AM by Tallitot » Logged

Proverbs 22:7
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 12:38:13 AM »

a more likely scenario:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJyaBxYjWcQ
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 12:48:22 AM by Tallitot » Logged

dcommini
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 12:40:13 AM »

Your link is not coded properly, so I fixed it for you. Hope you don't mind...

A classic on the subject

Also, fixed this.
a more likely scenario

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2010, 12:54:22 AM »

Thanks hope Fr. Christmas("Daidaín na Nollaig"?) was good to you this year.

dcommini
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2010, 01:12:38 AM »

Thanks hope Fr. Christmas("Daidaín na Nollaig"?) was good to you this year.

Not a problem, glad I could help. Daidaín na Nollaig is correct in Gaeilge (Irish) but in Gàidhlig (Scottish) it is Bodach na Nollaig, and he was quite good to me, thank you  Smiley !

And although it is quite past season I hope you had a great Hanukkah!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 01:16:50 AM by dcommini » Logged

Check out my blog...
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2010, 01:41:35 AM »

Yes, "Uncle Max" was quite generous Wink

dcommini
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2010, 01:43:47 AM »

Yes, "Uncle Max" was quite generous Wink

Grin

Check out my blog...
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2010, 11:08:57 PM »

NCR: Do you think that detecting intelligence beyond Earth will be disruptive to the world’s religions?

Douglas Vakoch, a director at SETI: I suspect that won’t happen. If you look at the relation between science and religion over the millennium you see a fruitful dialogue with religion often supporting science’s discoveries.

A discovery of intelligence elsewhere in the universe speaks to our own place in the universe and how unique we are. People think the impact of discovery will be to diminish our sense of uniqueness. I think it will be the opposite. The more we learn about another expression of intelligence elsewhere, the more we will realize how different we are from any other being. Even if we have enough in common to make contact, we are still different. Another benefit is that it will give us a chance to think about how much our own view of the universe is a parochial one. Making an encounter with other cultures and even other religions will gives us a way to look anew at our own beliefs.

We’re not going to teach them a lot about science. If we look at how we’ve managed our own world we can find lots of ways we haven’t done as well as we could. Yet those are fundamental aspects of who we are. If we are making contact with long-lived civilization, they may no longer have access to some of the things we use to define ourselves as human like mortality. Describing ourselves in our wholeness is perhaps the most interesting way to present ourselves.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 11:09:20 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: